Speculation: Asst. Coach Position

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
With Nelson likely going to Dallas and Torchetti not being renewed, who is going to be the Red Wings' new power play coach?

I'd throw Mike Van Ryn's name in the mix. Coached the Tucson Roadrunners to a 40-20-5-1 record, lost in the conference SF. Was 11th in the AHL's PP% (18.6%). To be fair, Detroit's PP was 17.5%, not much of an upgrade.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
With Blashill’s job security being tenuous at best, and Kenny only on a two year deal, I am not sure people will beat down the door for this job.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
With Blashill’s job security being tenuous at best, and Kenny only on a two year deal, I am not sure people will beat down the door for this job.

You don't think coaches currently unemployed or coaches in minor leagues will want to eat steak every night? You're crazy.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
You don't think coaches currently unemployed or coaches in minor leagues will want to eat steak every night? You're crazy.

There will be interest of course, but I don’t think guys you would consider high level coaches are going to make that jump into this situation.

It’ll likely be another career assistant who has been out of work.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I would try to hire Byslma, that is if he would take it.

I have been quietly hoping for the same this offseason. I think that having someone who has been there, done that could be beneficial because it starts to allow the coaching staff to function as a group of minds rather than following the standard chain of command.

Reactions: Skippy73

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
Take it with a grain of salt since I'm not so sure this guy has any bit of source...

@iamhockey1
Dan Bylsma has decided to sign with the #redwings as assistant coach.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is a good hire. I know he can be a whipping boy at times around HF, but he is a very valuable assistant to have. I am happy if this news turns out to be accurate, as you can see up the page I was onboard before the rumors even started.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frk It

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad