Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Craig Smith.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Frank Vatrano.

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
For your perusal: an assortment of generally maligned/derided/overpaid "Middle-6/Bottom-6" type filler forwards and tweeners.

You have the opportunity to add one of these gems to your lineup for this year and next, free of charge to bolster your depth.

Who among these options do you select?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Would have voted Beau easily, but he's already on my team.

As such, I voted Pool Party. I'd take a flyer on him for free.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Tough call between Kapanen’s speed and Puljujarvi’s draft pedigree (with Nichushkin’s late breakout so recent). The latter’s prior history with Aho breaks the tie.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
"Middle" is generous to some of them. :dunno:

True. Didn't really know what else to call them. "Bottom-9 Forwards" maybe. idk. Anyway, it's just a collection of ~$3-4M wingers that people often make fun of or complain about, or treat as some manner of "cap dump".

I'm kind of surprised Beauvillier appears to be so strongly preferred. I guess maybe i shouldn't be. He is the most expensive of these options. So removing that impediment, evidently he'd be a pretty valued commodity. So i guess he's probably only "overpaid" by about the same as other options here, but at a slightly higher tier. Given that his actual salary crosses that $4M threshold, i probably just shouldn't have even included him...but he felt like a kind of similar tier filler player who doesn't really do much, so i tossed him in there. But i guess he's a lot more consistently "fine". Oh well. :dunno:

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
True. Didn't really know what else to call them. "Bottom-9 Forwards" maybe. idk. Anyway, it's just a collection of ~$3-4M wingers that people often make fun of or complain about, or treat as some manner of "cap dump".

I'm kind of surprised Beauvillier appears to be so strongly preferred. I guess maybe i shouldn't be. He is the most expensive of these options. So removing that impediment, evidently he'd be a pretty valued commodity. So i guess he's probably only "overpaid" by about the same as other options here, but at a slightly higher tier. Given that his actual salary crosses that $4M threshold, i probably just shouldn't have even included him...but he felt like a kind of similar tier filler player who doesn't really do much, so i tossed him in there. But i guess he's a lot more consistently "fine". Oh well. :dunno:
I tend to think Beauvillier is at least "reliable"... he's young enough at 25-26 that I don't expect him to suddenly drop off a cliff. He is at least going to bring something at the same level he's at now without additional special maintenance. Some of the older/tweener guys might be in the process of dropping off a cliff already, or require playing in certain situations with certain types of players in order to maximize their contribution. Puljujarvi and Gurianov are probably the ones you might gamble on if you are hoping to "get lucky" and untap some lingering hidden potential.
:dunno:

Reactions: biturbo19

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Just call them "Bottom-6 forwards" because none of them is a Top-6 forward.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
For me, the biggest thing is how much they’d bounce back. Beauvillier, Puljujarvi, Gurianov, Kapanen are the four that I think could actually turn into good top 6 forwards with the likelihood being in that order. I did pick Gurianov simply because I think the Sharks could use another goal scorer and I think Gurianov is the best scorer of that bunch.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Gurianov probably, big and fast

Vatrano or Beauvillier next.

Gurianov seems like probably the most "swing for the fences" pick to me. Might have the most credible shot at being a true "Top-6 Goal Scorer" for you. But also probably has one of the lowest "floors" if you're not using him in that scoring role and he doesn't find the right fit to score a bunch of goals. He doesn't seem particularly useful outside of that.

Interesting contrast to Beauvillier as a secondary choice. Who, as others have mentioned, is probably the most "reliable" or "consistent" and "low maintenance" option here. The floor is probably too high for this poll, i'm discovering.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad