OT: Association Football Thread II (All Soccer Talk Here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't know anything about this team, really. I'm gonna try to watch their games when I can, I guess. But, I have not been impressed with anyone at all. Not going to remember anyones names but Villa, Nemech, and Saunders.

Is that just what life is like for an expansion MLS team?

Usually, yes. I think Orlando might be unusually good for an expansion team because they've made some great moves in the offseason, but expansion teams usually are pretty bad. We probably will be bad early on. Maybe we'll get better if we make some good moves in the summer.

Watch Mix(who just scored, btw) and Shelton. Mix plays for the US National Team. Shelton might soon enough as well. Lampard's coming over at the end of Man City's season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thats so unlucky. Great goal from Mix and they even it up with a free kick off the wall that sends the goalie the wrong way.

I guess 1-1 is probably fair. Its a good first result for us.

Deric

Oct 24, 2008
Orlando, FL
Eh cmon guys #theresgonnabehaters What I'm saying is there's a bunch of people there to party with a soccer game going on in the middle of everyone.
They've been wearing the purole since they started here. Who knows why..

Deric

Oct 24, 2008
Orlando, FL
I might be wrong but I think Orlando City won the championship their first year of usl pro. I dunno if they can do that first year of MLS, but Orlando has their back and when the new stadium opens next year they might sell out every game as long as the team stays good.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Not a bad first game from the secondary lads. Orlando was better. But Christ, they can't stay on their feet. Glad the ******** wasn't tolerated.

BarbaraAlphanse

I was at the game yesterday. $35 dollars a ticket for 1st round right next to one of the corners. What a fun atmosphere. And this team gives me a reason to follow the MLS and finally support a professional soccer team in the US. The Red Bulls are so inaccessible from Long Island (really, who would want to drive 2-3 hours into NJ to watch them?) and no other team would really peak my fancy. Watching fan bases like KC and Seattle, amongst others, really made me wish we had a team to support like that in NYC. And now we do. Sold out stadium yesterday.

Villa was awesome. Shelton was good at times. Mix is the team's very own Zucarello :naughty:.

Can't wait for Lampard and Xavi to come on over.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Does anyone know a good spot in the city to watch Liverpool vs Man U this weekend as a Liverpool supporter? It's at 9:30am on Sunday so maybe a place that serves a good irish coffee :naughty: Not too particular about borough/location.

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
I was at the game yesterday. $35 dollars a ticket for 1st round right next to one of the corners. What a fun atmosphere. And this team gives me a reason to follow the MLS and finally support a professional soccer team in the US. The Red Bulls are so inaccessible from Long Island (really, who would want to drive 2-3 hours into NJ to watch them?) and no other team would really peak my fancy. Watching fan bases like KC and Seattle, amongst others, really made me wish we had a team to support like that in NYC. And now we do. Sold out stadium yesterday.

Villa was awesome. Shelton was good at times. Mix is the team's very own Zucarello :naughty:.

Can't wait for Lampard and Xavi to come on over.

no it wasnt. there were thousands of empty seats in the upper deck. 6 to 7 thousand short of a sellout.

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
I didnt think they were gonna use the upper deck right now

Edit MLS is saying that there was 43,000 + there

yup - new stadium holds 49,642. can get close to 51,000 with standing room. 43,507 leaves them 6k short of a sell out.

next 3 games will be ghost towns.

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
Got it... I think after this season tho they will draw a lot or at least once Lampard comes over too Villa and Lampard have the potential to tear up the MLS

dont really know who they are or have an interest in soccer, im interested to see how they do financially. 14-15k season tickets is a good base to build on. if they have a good year and bring more players in from the better leagues (where i guess those two guys are from) then they should do ok.

do they have any concrete plans for a soccer only stadium? even if they sellout the bottom 2 decks for a match theres still 21000 empty seats.. its a large stadium for them

Stugots

YNWA
Jan 10, 2009
Upper West Side
Does anyone know a good spot in the city to watch Liverpool vs Man U this weekend as a Liverpool supporter? It's at 9:30am on Sunday so maybe a place that serves a good irish coffee :naughty: Not too particular about borough/location.

Of course, fellow reds supporter! The primary spot (home of the Liverpool NYC Supporters Group) is the 11th Street Bar on 11th Street and Avenue A in the East Village. You have to get there really early in order to get a spot because it fills up quickly. I went there for the Merseyside Derby last month and I got there a half hour before the match started and was turned away. If it's too packed, you can walk up the street to Percy's Tavern on 13th and Avenue A and that is also a Liverpool Supporter's bar. Cheers!

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Of course, fellow reds supporter! The primary spot (home of the Liverpool NYC Supporters Group) is the 11th Street Bar on 11th Street and Avenue A in the East Village. You have to get there really early in order to get a spot because it fills up quickly. I went there for the Merseyside Derby last month and I got there a half hour before the match started and was turned away. If it's too packed, you can walk up the street to Percy's Tavern on 13th and Avenue A and that is also a Liverpool Supporter's bar. Cheers!

Thanks! Yeah, I just came across the 11th street bar online but I was concerned about it being packed - great to know that there's another place close by. Love the avatar :laugh:

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
dont really know who they are or have an interest in soccer, im interested to see how they do financially. 14-15k season tickets is a good base to build on. if they have a good year and bring more players in from the better leagues (where i guess those two guys are from) then they should do ok.

do they have any concrete plans for a soccer only stadium? even if they sellout the bottom 2 decks for a match theres still 21000 empty seats.. its a large stadium for them

The Grandstand seats won't usually be open - that was just for the first game. I think even the 300 levels won't be open for most games, so I have a feeling there will be strong demand in the secondary market for tickets. Especially since they only play game a week, most of them being on weekends in the summer, I think they will easily sell enough to meet their (reduced) capacity. Nobody expects them to sell out the entire Yankee Stadium. The proposed stadium plan in the Bronx which is not finalized would be in the 28,000 range.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Cristiano at 33 would be better than Henry when he came over to MLS. Thats about three years from now. Right now, he's the joint best player in the world. How much worse is he going to be in three years? Henry was already on the decline once he left Arsenal for Barcelona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->