OT: Association Football Thread II (All Soccer Talk Here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I could see us making noise in the Champions League. Any draw but a 0-0 puts us through. Real, PSG, and Bayern (would be) already out.

As for the league, we're 1 point out but it might as well be 20. I would bet on the Rangers making the playoffs before I bet on Liverpool winning the league.

I could see something stupid like thrashing Burnley 6-1 on Sunday, using up Mane, not actually using Shaqiri, and finding a way to lose to Bayern 1-0 while outshooting them 21-1, while holding the ball 72% of the time.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You had nothing to worry about. Bayern has a lot of work to do to get back to the top in Europe.
True, it's not your daddy's Bayern so to speak and I always felt like we were in decent position on a 0-0 but it still feels great to knock out a name like that in their own barn.

Reactions: NCRanger

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
We're Liverpool, and being Liverpool, we have a tendency to **** things up.

But Porto should be a bye, no?
Not really. They're my #2 team behind United. They're a cohesive team with bright young talent. A lot like the Ajax and Dortmund teams of late.

Liverpool have more quality, but it's by no means going to be a cakewalk.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Messi hat trick at Old Trafford in the first leg :help:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not really. They're my #2 team behind United. They're a cohesive team with bright young talent. A lot like the Ajax and Dortmund teams of late.

Liverpool have more quality, but it's by no means going to be a cakewalk.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Messi hat trick at Old Trafford in the first leg :help:
We'll scrape by Porto on penalties and then beat one of the giants 4-0. That sounds about Liverpool.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
My boys in Black and Red have looked great, thrashing RSL last night.

My other boys in Red and Black need to keep the momentum going in the Derby della Madonnina. Open up some space on Inter and maybe even pull closer to the Partenopei.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
My boys in Black and Red have looked great, thrashing RSL last night.

My other boys in Red and Black need to keep the momentum going in the Derby della Madonnina. Open up some space on Inter and maybe even pull closer to the Partenopei.

I’ve watched a lot more Serie A this season bc of ESPN+ than I usually do. I picked a bad year for it. It is not a good one. Really rough year all around, huh.

Side note: espn+ coverage of foreign soccer leagues is superior to all. It’s absolutely awesome. Can watch any game, even watch them on delay whenever. Just a great product.

Reactions: nyr2k2

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20190316_155411_Burst01.jpg

The view from 101, FORZA METRO!!!!!

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Thoughts on the NYCFC game ?

I thought Mitrita and Vela both had great games. Mitrita looks like he has the potential to be a star in MLS. NYC FC controlled the majority of possession, so it's disappointing to only come away with 1 point.

I didn't have an issue with the late penalty against NYC FC, it was a bad play by Ben Sweat. Not sure what to make of Sweat - he made a nice play after coming on to get an assist for the second goal, but his defensive mistakes frequently cost us.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Saw my first in person Premier League game while in England last week. Spurs @ Southampton. Awesome experience. Much better than live sports in America in my opinion.

I know it's Southampton, so it's not like the Big 6, but how did you go about getting tickets?

I know it's different for each team. I think for some games, you can just walk up at West Ham, and not need to be a registered member. At others, it's nearly impossible.

In a few years, I'm going to try to get to Anfield, so I'm trying to compile as much research into it, so I'm not dropping $395 a ticket for a cheap meal and forced "hospitality" just to get in the building.

NYRPat21

Jan 1, 2010
Ridge, New York
Thoughts on the NYCFC game ?

Solid performance but two stupid mistakes cost them dearly, Mitriță‘s goal was outstanding with a nice little pass by Maxi to get the play started, impeccable run and an even better finish with 3 defenders around him. City have looked better in each match but the lack of a striker is killing them at the moment, but there are reports that they’re close to signing Héber, 27 year old Brazilian ST/LW from Croatian club HNK Rijeka where he has 25 goals in 38 appearances. If they can get that done it would do wonders for them. With a decent to good striker and all of the attacking mids and wingers City is easily a top 4 side in the east.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also shameless plug, I write for NYCSportsNation.com about NYCFC, feel free to check out my work. Disappointing Draw in the Bronx

Attached is the last piece I wrote.
Good stuff!

I feel like City have been close to where they want to be, but the results haven't been there. But there's time.

The great thing about MLS is you have the playoffs and that makes it a long season. If you drop 6 points in your first 3 games in the EPL your title race is over.

Reactions: NYRPat21

NYRPat21

Jan 1, 2010
Ridge, New York
Good stuff!

I feel like City have been close to where they want to be, but the results haven't been there. But there's time.

The great thing about MLS is you have the playoffs and that makes it a long season. If you drop 6 points in your first 3 games in the EPL your title race is over.

Yeah totally, the performances have improved each week and considering the competition it’s not the end of the world, going forward draws aren’t gonna cut it though. Lots of time and there are a lot of positive things to look at, and bringing in a quality striker will make everyone in the squad better. And thanks I appreciate it haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad