OT: Association Football Thread II (All Soccer Talk Here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This thread when @nyr2k2 and the RBNY fans get together

source.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Didn't know you were part of Ultras.
I bought membership some years ago which gets you into the tailgates and all that and the opportunity to buy single game tickets in their section (which now is changing evidently) but I can't call myself an avid supporter at this point. I don't travel for games, ever, and I only attend a handful of games now.

The kids make it difficult. And you don't really want to take them because of the language and things like that. Plus, Ultras, you're pretty much expected to be bouncing the whole game, and it's tough to pay attention to the little ones when you're jumping and chanting.

At this point I mainly just stay in touch with a couple guys, go to some home matches and make contributions because I think it's a good supporter group and the Screaming Eagles are little bitches.

Reactions: sabremike and darko

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I bought membership some years ago which gets you into the tailgates and all that and the opportunity to buy single game tickets in their section (which now is changing evidently) but I can't call myself an avid supporter at this point. I don't travel for games, ever, and I only attend a handful of games now.

The kids make it difficult. And you don't really want to take them because of the language and things like that. Plus, Ultras, you're pretty much expected to be bouncing the whole game, and it's tough to pay attention to the little ones when you're jumping and chanting.

At this point I mainly just stay in touch with a couple guys, go to some home matches and make contributions because I think it's a good supporter group and the Screaming Eagles are little *****es.

Nice. Nothing beats soccer atmosphere. 90 minutes of drinking beers, chanting and screaming.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's not looking down on MLS... Rooney was still a very productive player for Everton this year. I highly doubt any MLS player can score 10 EPL goals this season besides healthy Zlatan.

There's a chance he can pull a Gerrard and coast, but I doubt it. He's only 32.

I think Villa, Vela, Giovinco, Martinez could potentially score 10. Though that's really tough in the premiership. Josef Martinez might be the best player in MLS right now. He doesn't have the overseas credentials, but that's because he's only 24.

Reactions: Basement Cat

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Lol.

He's still way better than any MLS player besides maybe Zlatan and Giovinco.

I strongly, strongly disagree.

Also, your argument for Rooney is that nobody else would score 10 goals in the Premier League? Are you really going to sit here and call Rooney a 10 goal scorer for Everton this year??

3 of them were penalties when he had absolutely no business being Everton's penalty taker (he went 3 for 6 before they took the role away from him)

1 was a missed penalty that rebounded directly to him

1 was an absolute gift from Joe Hart that he kicked into an empty net from midfield

So I'm not sure if any of the other 5 goals were flukes too, but let's call him a 5 goal scorer, should we? How many MLS players gifted the playing time that Rooney was gifted score 5 goals in the Premier League?

Also, even though he spent a fair amount of time in an attacking midfield role, he finished with only 2 assists on the season.

The bottom line is that Rooney was very bad for Everton this year, and their reliance on him is a big part of why they won't be playing in Europe next year while a team like Burnley will be.

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
Can we get Rafa Benitez to coach the Rangers the next season? After all, he did coach non-football players at Newcastle to Premier League safety.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I think Villa, Vela, Giovinco, Martinez could potentially score 10. Though that's really tough in the premiership. Josef Martinez might be the best player in MLS right now. He doesn't have the overseas credentials, but that's because he's only 24.
Villa barely scraped that mark with Atletico over 5 years ago at the end of his prime.

Vela couldn't break 10 league goals in La Liga the previous 4 seasons.

Giovinco has broken 10 goal mark in Serie A once in his career.

Martinez didn't have success scoring in Europe either. Never scored over 10 goals in a season.

Rooney is just wayyy more naturally gifted than any other player in the league.

That being said, I think any MLS team that wants immediate success should sign Ben Afra. His game is tailored for this league and he could possibly break league records as long as he stays fit.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I strongly, strongly disagree.

Also, your argument for Rooney is that nobody else would score 10 goals in the Premier League? Are you really going to sit here and call Rooney a 10 goal scorer for Everton this year??

3 of them were penalties when he had absolutely no business being Everton's penalty taker (he went 3 for 6 before they took the role away from him)

1 was a missed penalty that rebounded directly to him

1 was an absolute gift from Joe Hart that he kicked into an empty net from midfield

So I'm not sure if any of the other 5 goals were flukes too, but let's call him a 5 goal scorer, should we? How many MLS players gifted the playing time that Rooney was gifted score 5 goals in the Premier League?

Also, even though he spent a fair amount of time in an attacking midfield role, he finished with only 2 assists on the season.

The bottom line is that Rooney was very bad for Everton this year, and their reliance on him is a big part of why they won't be playing in Europe next year while a team like Burnley will be.
You arbitrarily took away half his goals. You can do that for pretty much any player. His lack of assists can be attributed to Everton being without a scorer until Tosun arrived.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Villa barely scraped that mark with Atletico over 5 years ago at the end of his prime.

Vela couldn't break 10 league goals in La Liga the previous 4 seasons.

Giovinco has broken 10 goal mark in Serie A once in his career.

Martinez didn't have success scoring in Europe either. Never scored over 10 goals in a season.

Rooney is just wayyy more naturally gifted than any other player in the league.

That being said, I think any MLS team that wants immediate success should sign Ben Afra. His game is tailored for this league and he could possibly break league records as long as he stays fit.

My point is that I think right now a couple of them could.

Kenwyne Jones scored 10,9,9 in the premiership and he wasn't anywhere near as good as the aforementioned players. Peter Crouch? C'mon. Dempsey hit 17 in the PL one year and I dont think anyone I know would argue that he was ever as god as Giovinco is.

A lot depends on how the team is designed around you. If Giovinco played in Lindgard's spot this year, and took direct set pieces I could see him hitting 10 goals. The guy has the best free kick conversion rate in the world the past two seasons by far.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Went to Roma-Juve last night. Absolutely bonkers. Scoreless draw but the atmosphere was great. Especially the build up to kickofff. Songs, lineups, etc.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
I brought this up in a thread on the main boards, but does anyone else see a bit of Liverpool in the Golden Knights? Mainly in the way they play without the puck - they swarm the puckholder on the opposing team, create turnovers, and then generate chances off those turnovers. And when they get those chances, they have players with speed that know how to finish.

On the other hand, Liverpool getting amazing performances from a goaltender isn't something you see too often :laugh: Not to say that Karius hasn't been good down the stretch for us, but it's not Fleury level. But in this scenario, Wild Bill definitely = Madman Bobby Firmino.

I've been mainly a Vegas hater, but if Gallant comes out and says that he was inspired by Klopp, I'll gladly jump on the bandwagon :D

Reactions: Machinehead

NYRPat21

Jan 1, 2010
Ridge, New York
Looks like Vieira is heading to Nice as soon as tomorrow and won’t even coach this week against Houston. I get that that was always the end goal and it’s a big step up for his career, but leaving mid season like this is super unprofessional and leaves an awful taste in my mouth. It’s a good thing Ligue 1 doesn’t have a playoff system for his sake.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Looks like Vieira is heading to Nice as soon as tomorrow and won’t even coach this week against Houston. I get that that was always the end goal and it’s a big step up for his career, but leaving mid season like this is super unprofessional and leaves an awful taste in my mouth. It’s a good thing Ligue 1 doesn’t have a playoff system for his sake.
He said today there's no truth to him leaving mid-season.

I agree it would be an awful move if he did.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Eh, relax, you're still more than in it for the league title and Champions League. Bayern don't exactly have a record of being world beaters in the Champions League.

I could see us making noise in the Champions League. Any draw but a 0-0 puts us through. Real, PSG, and Bayern (would be) already out.

As for the league, we're 1 point out but it might as well be 20. I would bet on the Rangers making the playoffs before I bet on Liverpool winning the league.

Reactions: NCRanger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad