OT: Association Football Thread II (All Soccer Talk Here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Game ended in a tie but the real winners tonight were the South Ward with the tifo of death and having Puckie on the perch (and yes I was wearing my Ron Francis jersey).

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It was a nice looking tifo, but I had a good chuckle at a team playing in New Jersey making fun of NYCFC not finding a permanent home.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It was a nice looking tifo, but I had a good chuckle at a team playing in New Jersey making fun of NYCFC not finding a permanent home.
That makes absolutely no sense other than the tired "Jersey derp" smack. Boy city fans have to be big Bills fans because they would NEVER support a team that plays in Jersey.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That makes absolutely no sense other than the tired "Jersey derp" smack. Boy city fans have to be big Bills fans because they would NEVER support a team that plays in Jersey.

It's not about Jersey, it's the whole laying claim to New York and having the nerve to talk about our stadium situation when you've never played here and never had any interest in playing here.

Frankly, I love being at Yankee Stadium. I wanna stay if we can.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It's not about Jersey, it's the whole laying claim to New York and having the nerve to talk about our stadium situation when you've never played here and never had any interest in playing here.

Frankly, I love being at Yankee Stadium. I wanna stay if we can.
I know you only started following MLS for the last few years but your statement about having no interest in playing in NY is totally untrue. The MetroStars would've killed for a stadium in NY, but there was one slight problem: they soon discovered that building a soccer stadium there was going to be impossible (your lot are finding out about this right now). The Harrison location ended up being literally the only feasible place where a stadium could be built, hence that's where it was built. Also for the never played in NY thing I note that the MetroStars played several open cup games at Columbia and at Mitchell out in Nassau (I think we also played at Randals Island but I'm not 100% sure of that).

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know you only started following MLS for the last few years but your statement about having no interest in playing in NY is totally untrue. The MetroStars would've killed for a stadium in NY, but there was one slight problem: they soon discovered that building a soccer stadium there was going to be impossible (your lot are finding out about this right now). The Harrison location ended up being literally the only feasible place where a stadium could be built, hence that's where it was built. Also for the never played in NY thing I note that the MetroStars played several open cup games at Columbia and at Mitchell out in Nassau (I think we also played at Randals Island but I'm not 100% sure of that).

Fair enough. I know the same thing happened to the Giants.

Actually, I have been watching for a long time though. I used to like the Metrostars/RBNY. Clint Mathis, Tim Howard, the Eddie Gaven goal in overtime. But it was more casual. It just never felt like home. City feels like home. Yankee Stadium is home.

Part of it is being in the boroughs versus New Jersey, and I would be devastated if we moved there too. But that can't be the whole thing because I am a huge Giants fan. And as far as the Bills go, I'd root for New Jersey over Buffalo if those were my choices. Nothing against Buffalo, but New York is huge state and Buffalo feels like a world away.

Then again, I root for a team in Merseyside god damn England, so who knows?

I believe that you don't really choose teams , they choose you. So don't take the ribbing personally ;)

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Interesting note: in the late 80's NJ actually put building a baseball stadium at the Meadowlands up to a vote and it was narrowly defeated. If it had been approved it's very likely that the Yankees would be playing there today (remember Steinberner badly wanted to leave the Bronx at the time, blaming poor attendance on playing there).

In other news Owen Gaul continues his scoring rampage through MLS with a goal for Vancouver tonight in Orlando.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
My DCU is going to creep back into the playoff picture one 1-0 victory at a time. Probably aided by a handful of own goals. :laugh:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This is a very important PSA for anyone going to the WCQ at RBA next Friday: if you are driving, DO NOT park in the lots in Harrison. Park in Newark and walk across the bridge. Trust me you will thank me when you are able to get home at a reasonable hour while everyone else is stuck in a massive traffic jam. Also if you are taking PATH after the game take the free shuttle to Newark Penn and get the PATH there. Not only will you avoid the mess at the Harrison station you will also guarantee yourself a seat on the train.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Interesting note: in the late 80's NJ actually put building a baseball stadium at the Meadowlands up to a vote and it was narrowly defeated. If it had been approved it's very likely that the Yankees would be playing there today (remember Steinberner badly wanted to leave the Bronx at the time, blaming poor attendance on playing there).

In other news Owen Gaul continues his scoring rampage through MLS with a goal for Vancouver tonight in Orlando.

I recall the Yankees to NJ rumors surfacing very briefly in the 90's as well.

But now the neighborhood is nice.

My DCU is going to creep back into the playoff picture one 1-0 victory at a time. Probably aided by a handful of own goals. :laugh:

And you guys beat New England which is

giphy.gif

NYRPat21

Jan 1, 2010
Ridge, New York
This is a very important PSA for anyone going to the WCQ at RBA next Friday: if you are driving, DO NOT park in the lots in Harrison. Park in Newark and walk across the bridge. Trust me you will thank me when you are able to get home at a reasonable hour while everyone else is stuck in a massive traffic jam. Also if you are taking PATH after the game take the free shuttle to Newark Penn and get the PATH there. Not only will you avoid the mess at the Harrison station you will also guarantee yourself a seat on the train.

Appreciate the advice, first time going to RBA for the WFQ. Thanks man!:yo:

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Anyone else catch the Chelsea game? Hard to believe they put on this show without Hazard. Morata looks like quite the signing, and it's nice to see Pedro and Cesc finally being used correctly.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Anyone else catch the Chelsea game? Hard to believe they put on this show without Hazard. Morata looks like quite the signing, and it's nice to see Pedro and Cesc finally being used correctly.

It's very early, to be sure, but it could potentially be a bloodbath for the title.

A few of the top teams are looking fantastic.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Liverpool!

That was amazing. It should have been 8-0. Easily could have been 10-0. And they played in the middle of week.

Arsenal looked disinterested. They were making mistakes U10 girls don't make.

That said, watching with my daughter, made for some "teachable moments".

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
It's very early, to be sure, but it could potentially be a bloodbath for the title.

A few of the top teams are looking fantastic.

I could see it being a real close race between Man United, Man City, Chelsea. United looks real strong out of the gates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad