OT: Association Football Thread II (All Soccer Talk Here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
At least we fill your seats haha.
The attendance knocks work when your team isn't down significantly in that department (I've been to quite a few games at YS on the SeatGeek plan and let's just say there were plenty of good seats available).

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
They play in a baseball stadium and have a fake "firm" who watched Green Street Hooligans too many times.

The NYCFC fanbase fake thugs are about the only thing that entertains me about MLS these days.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They play in a baseball stadium

In New York

But-Thats-None-Of-My-Business.jpg

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Now with Neymar, PSG can lose 4-3 in the UCL quarter finals to a La Liga team instead of 2-1

Huzzah!!!!!!

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ha! My hatred doesn't come from local rivalries.

I've been a Man United fan since I was young. No way would I ever support a City satellite.

Their new training facility is a couple miles from my house. Still won't support them. Ever.

I'm a Liverpool fan, I support them :dunno:

And I also support Liverpool even though I'm a Yankees fan and Liverpool are in the Red Sox family.

I guess I just couldn't care less who owners are.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
On the second day, God created the light and the darkness.

On the first day, David Villa created God.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The second goal should've never been allowed to happen. When freaking Villa is about to break free you commit the professional foul and take the yellow. That was just awful soccer awareness. Sal Zizzo is one of the worst players in MLS. Oh well, beat Cincy in 10 days and we get to play for a trophy. Win the Open Cup and I literally wouldn't give a **** if we go 0-3 vs the blue team.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
My team in UK started horrific this new season - and kind of worried about our old striker force in Sheffield Wednesday - and other guys who should be moved years ago like Steven Fletcher & A. Nuhiu! :)

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Every year Liverpool score the most goals or close to it.

Every year Liverpool can't hold leads, and the dropped points cause them to fall short of winning the league.

Every year, the solution is to bring in more attack.

Every year, the team refuses to address CB or GK.

Every year, we wonder why we haven't won the top flight since 1990.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Salah is wonderful, glad he's on the team, but Swissolet is still between the pipes after several years on end of failure.

The only way Salah is even a need is if you're selling Coutinho, and if you're doing that, then just ****ing sell him already and buy a Premier League keeper and a Premier League CB which we haven't had since god damn Carragher and Reina.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
BWP: The Ultimate Scoring Machine. He may be the most underrated player in MLS history. But the greatest thing about tonight was Kaka playfully patting Collin on the back of the head as a joke among friends, we have a near 10 minute VAR delay and the ref sends him off for violent conduct. I've been following MLS literally since the day it began, and this may have been the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
BWP: The Ultimate Scoring Machine. He may be the most underrated player in MLS history. But the greatest thing about tonight was Kaka playfully patting Collin on the back of the head as a joke among friends, we have a near 10 minute VAR delay and the ref sends him off for violent conduct. I've been following MLS literally since the day it began, and this may have been the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

If this were any other league besides MLS I wouldn't believe you :laugh:

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Speaking of having to see it to believe it, Sean Johnson is putting on one of the better performances I've ever seen from a football keeper.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Every year Liverpool score the most goals or close to it.

Every year Liverpool can't hold leads, and the dropped points cause them to fall short of winning the league.

Every year, the solution is to bring in more attack.

Every year, the team refuses to address CB or GK.

Every year, we wonder why we haven't won the top flight since 1990.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Salah is wonderful, glad he's on the team, but Swissolet is still between the pipes after several years on end of failure.

The only way Salah is even a need is if you're selling Coutinho, and if you're doing that, then just ****ing sell him already and buy a Premier League keeper and a Premier League CB which we haven't had since god damn Carragher and Reina.

To be fair, Watford's tying goal was offside, and I also though Mingolet was fouled. That said, the defending on set pieces is beyond atrocious. They gave up two on corners, and not because of a spectacular delivery or a great header. How does that happen in top level professional soccer?

I was watching the game with my nine year old daughter (plays center back and goaltender). She asked me why there weren't any Liverpool defenders on the posts for the corners. I couldn't answer. I also couldn't answer why Firmino is the guy in the center of the box defending the target.

Salah did a great job annoying the heck out of us. Obviously looked like he can be a dominant scorer, but if he didn't miss one sure goal, and flubbed some other great chances. Reminded me of Krieder.

And then Winjaldum missing the sitter from the top of the box...

3-3 soccer games are pure entertainment, but can also be poor displays of supposedly professional soccer.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
To be fair, Watford's tying goal was offside, and I also though Mingolet was fouled.

At first, I thought Britos was offside, however, on second viewing, I don't think so. the rule states "A player is in an offside position if he is in the opposing team's half of the field and is also nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent." Britos was level with the ball, if you ask me, and whether I'm right or wrong, that would be why the linesman's flag stayed down.

I don't think he fouled Mignolet, either, as his only contact with the keeper came after Mignolet lost control of the ball and turned into him -- in fairness, I don't think Mignolet argued for a foul, either.

But then, maybe I'm biased. :D

EDIT: I saw a new image of the moment the ball was passed -- Britos' left foot was offside, therefore he was offside, therefore my argument is null & void. Darn.

I was watching the game with my nine year old daughter (plays center back and goaltender). She asked me why there weren't any Liverpool defenders on the posts for the corners. I couldn't answer. I also couldn't answer why Firmino is the guy in the center of the box defending the target.

By and large, I don't think zonal marking puts players on the posts. Firmino was left out to dry by the setup, you're right, especially against a beast like Okaka.

3-3 soccer games are pure entertainment, but can also be poor displays of supposedly professional soccer.

Mané's goal was absolute class, though. You won't see a better goal all season -- I prefer goals that come from clever interplay between teammates, and Mané, Can and (I think) Moreno absolutely wrenched open the Watford defence in tight quarters.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
BWP=GOAT. Seriously he has to be the most underrated player in MLS history. Final vs the sporks on September 20th, our second ever Open Cup final and our third final ever overall. Win that game and I literally don't care what we do the rest of the season (except the last game of the season vs the scum. Want to hand them a loss in the last ever match at their raccoon infested hellhole).

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Liverpool handed Hoffenheim their first home loss in all competitions in 14 months.

That includes RB Leipzig, Borussia Dortmund, and of course, Bayern Freakin Munich, so that's nothing to sneeze at.

But they'll do something stupid next week.

Liverpool are either the best team in the world, or the Mighty Ducks from the first movie before they got good.

No middle ground.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Liverpool handed Hoffenheim their first home loss in all competitions in 14 months.

That includes RB Leipzig, Borussia Dortmund, and of course, Bayern Freakin Munich, so that's nothing to sneeze at.

But they'll do something stupid next week.

Liverpool are either the best team in the world, or the Mighty Ducks from the first movie before they got good.

No middle ground.

Impressive win, no doubt. But Hoffenheim lost their 2 top players to Bayern Munich in the offseason. Brutal.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Impressive win, no doubt. But Hoffenheim lost their 2 top players to Bayern Munich in the offseason. Brutal.

Munich is a merciless killing machine.

I mean, I can't hate them, because I support the national team and so many of those guys are there, but....yeah they're brutal.

Hoffenheim are going to stay good though, I think. Nagelsmann has them playing an impressive brand of football.

I'm not expecting much in the CL, but if we can get past these guys and at least qualify, I'll consider it a huge relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->