Assistant Coaching "Resume"

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Hey everyone I grew up playing and ended up going on to play high end ACHA before blowing out my MCL. I have been coaching high school hockey for the past few seasons and want to continue to progress my coaching career into the DIII and above ranks starting as an assistant.

Anyone have any suggestions on creating a "resume" specific to coaching? I have my playing experience to fall back on as well as previous coaching, but I feel like there are strategies and talking points that I want to get across when applying for open Assistant jobs.

My strengths are with forwards, especially in the d-zone, special teams, and face-off strategy.

Would be great to talk through how others got their start coaching at this level. Thanks!

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Hey everyone I grew up playing and ended up going on to play high end ACHA before blowing out my MCL. I have been coaching high school hockey for the past few seasons and want to continue to progress my coaching career into the DIII and above ranks starting as an assistant.

Anyone have any suggestions on creating a "resume" specific to coaching? I have my playing experience to fall back on as well as previous coaching, but I feel like there are strategies and talking points that I want to get across when applying for open Assistant jobs.

My strengths are with forwards, especially in the d-zone, special teams, and face-off strategy.

Would be great to talk through how others got their start coaching at this level. Thanks!

It is important one creates a work resume with hockey included rather than hockey specific resume. This is especially important if you want to coach at DIII. Coaches are either part time or employed by the school for some non-hockey roll. At the school I played at, both full-time coaches were employed as Facility Managers who oversaw the athletic facilities. Potential employers will likely look at your non-hockey work history as much as your hockey work history. Both are important. They will likely try to figure out if you are a good fit for their program and their limited athletic budget at the same time.

For the hockey part of any resume, it is important that it is about what you have done personally as much as it is about what the programs have done. List how many of your players have been chosen to league all-star teams, academic honors given, and the program's record. List your responsibilities, like forwards and strategies implemented, but they will mostly look to see that you have experience bringing success to a program.

Reactions: OV Rocks and JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad