Assemble the Greatest Roster of Players Who Played Entire Career with One Team

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
just my humble opinion but it seems most prudent when making up fantasy type teams like this that players should only be slotted at the position they played.

if one is looking at the best left wings who played with one team then you focus on left wingers.

if others do it differently that is fine but it seems a little bit self defeating.

MyDogSparty

Yzerman & Lidstrom
Mar 3, 2008
I think if we're going international style where C's play on the wings constantly and you go away from the traditional look of an NHL lineup you an put together a pretty formidable lineup.

Something along these lines:

Offense:

Bobby Clarke - Sidney Crosby - Mario Lemieux
Aurele Joaliat - Jean Beliveau - Maurice Richard
Milt Schmidt - Stan Mikita - Steve Yzerman
Bob Gainey - Ted Kennedy - Henri Richard

-Clark provides stellar physical play and distribution on the top line as well as top flight defense. Lemieux's size, strength and reach play well on the wing much more so than Sid who sticks at C. Mario will be the primary goal scorer.

-2nd line is more traditional.

-Milt Schmidt (LH shot) was arguably the best two way C of his day and plenty physical to be on the wing. Mikita is an elite 2 way guy and Yzerman isn't far behind in that regard either. RH shot for right wing. Primary goal scorer.

-4th line is another high end defensive trio. Gainey is one the all time greats defensively, Ted Kennedy was an elite 2 way C and widely regarded as the best face off man of his time, and Henri Richard was incredible in the corners and very physical so he translates well out onto the wing IMO. Also a RH shot, so it's his "natural" side.

I actually really like than line up. More than enough offense top to bottom and some seriously talented defensive players in most spots. Put Toe Blake on the bench and let him move the chess pieces around.

Defense:

Nicklas Lidstrom - Butch Bouchard
Denis Potvin - Dit Clapper
Jacques Laperriere - Duncan Keith

Goalies:

Ken Dryden
Georges Vezina

If you're going "international", I believe that Lidstrom is the only one who wouldn't qualify for Team Canada as he's not a Canadian citizen.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Assumptions:
  • Players must play in a position they actually had at least a little success playing in real life (Mario winning the 96-97 Art Ross playing more LW than C counts for me :) )
  • The OP didn't forget anyone important other than the two players MXD mentioned
  • Playing for a WCHL or PCHA team counts as another team (so Bill Cook is not eligible)

Mario Lemieux - Jean Beliveau - Alexander Ovechkin
Aurele Joliat - Sidney Crosby - Mike Bossy
Alex Delvecchio - Henry Richard - Maurice Richard
Henrik Zetterberg - Bobby Clarke - Bryan Hextall, Sr

Nicklas Lidstrom - Denis Potvin
Duncan Keith - Dit Clapper
Jacques Laperriere - JC Tremblay

Ken Dryden
George Vezina​

Only the Beliveau line is all-offense, the rest all have varying degrees of two-way ability, with Joliat, Delvecchio, Pocket Rocket, Zetterberg, and Clarke especially strong defensively. Hextall is there as a much needed physical presence up front.

PP1:

Mario Lemieux - Jean Beliveau - Maurice Richard
Alexander Ovechkin - Denis Potvin

PP2:

Sidney Crosby - Bobby Clarke - Mike Bossy
Nicklas Lidstrom - JC Tremblay

PK1:

Henrik Zetterberg - Bobby Clarke
Jacques Laperriere - Dit Clapper

PK2:

Alex Delvecchio - Henri Richard
Nicklas Lidstrom - Denis Potvin

Spare PK forwards - Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby, Aurele Joliat

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
In international play he was "incompetent". Read, know your history. Look it up. He always had trouble on the big ice, facing a cycle game beginning with his tenure with the Canadian National Team before he ever played a game in the NHL.... I'm assuming your familiar with Bill Durnan & his astonishing career? Aware of the manner in which he played, style? Far more effective vs the Soviets though of course Durnans career was over years, couple of decades before Dryden came along. Amazes me that in the pantheon of greats, he's a "forgotten man". Dryden, Roy, Hasek.... all purportedly "better" are they?... So my picks would be Durnan & Cheevers if the qualifiers "must have played his entire career with 1 - 06 team".

Cheevers started his career with Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->