Assasin's Creed Odyssey

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
OK, so a lot of what I read about this game from reviewers is that there are massive level jumps that REQUIRE grinding to progress the story and that this game may be too big.

Ive never had to grind one bit in this game. Nothing Ive done felt forced. I could not figue out what the hell these reviewers were talking about.

Im about 65 hours (a guess) and I think im nearing the end game of the main story.

This article here illustrates I think why the reviewers felt the way they do.

'Assassin's Creed Odyssey' And When Length Counts Against A Game

He completely ignored the bounty board and instead focused on landmark clearing. Of course, this means he did not get the XP boost from completing missions and instead drove his XP up at a snails pace. As well as missing the generic "go here an do this stuff" quests, hsi missing the slower paced but still important "Kill 10 of X anywhere in Greece" quests which really start to load up the XP later in the game. I had several of these open, and they all cleared in one intense fight in a Fort and it took me a while to figure out why I had like 4 quest completions within seconds of each other.

This is all I can figure for why so many reviewers are saying this. In their time crunch to get their reviews out in time for launch, they were ignoring the very mechanism used to accelerate XP growth.

For me, I quite like it the way it is. My $$$ are limited so a game of considerable length is appreciated. I want my monies worth and this game is giving me that for sure.

I just started this game and am at level 8. Any tips? Also it says you can visually change the gear and keep the ratings and I hit square to switch your gear visualization but the pages are blank and I can’t change anything. Ever have this problem?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I just started this game and am at level 8. Any tips? Also it says you can visually change the gear and keep the ratings and I hit square to switch your gear visualization but the pages are blank and I can’t change anything. Ever have this problem?

Hmmm. Never had a problem. They shouldnt be blank but rather greyed out if unavailable. I dont remeber but maybe theres a level or gameplay point that needs to be reached before the ability to change it is reached.

General tips - dont sell stuff at the blacksmith, dismantle it for resources. Dont buy stuff either.

Get proficient with both a short range and long range meelee weapon (axe, staff, spear etc).

Shield break and Hero Strike are excellent perks

If youre like me and loathe the sea battles, put it on easy for those mandatory battles

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Hmmm. Never had a problem. They shouldnt be blank but rather greyed out if unavailable. I dont remeber but maybe theres a level or gameplay point that needs to be reached before the ability to change it is reached.

General tips - dont sell stuff at the blacksmith, dismantle it for resources. Dont buy stuff either.

Get proficient with both a short range and long range meelee weapon (axe, staff, spear etc).

Shield break and Hero Strike are excellent perks

If youre like me and loathe the sea battles, put it on easy for those mandatory battles

Yeah I looked online and the icons should be greyed out but for me they don’t even exist. No icons just a blue screen and one icon to revert to original.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
I know this is probably a tough question to answer, but what would be a good place for someone who’s never played an Assassin’s Creed game to jump in to the series?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I know this is probably a tough question to answer, but what would be a good place for someone who’s never played an Assassin’s Creed game to jump in to the series?

The game has changed so much over the past couple of years its hard to pinpoint it. It depends on what you're looking for I guess. The game that won me over was Assassins Creed II which I think has a good balance of stealth and combat, but also with a fantastic character and story. But that game came out 10 years ago so it may feel a little outdated. If you want something that will probably be more closer to what the game will do in the future I think any of the recent releases will be good, AC Syndicate, Origins and Odyssey.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

The game has changed so much over the past couple of years its hard to pinpoint it. It depends on what you're looking for I guess. The game that won me over was Assassins Creed II which I think has a good balance of stealth and combat, but also with a fantastic character and story. But that game came out 10 years ago so it may feel a little outdated. If you want something that will probably be more closer to what the game will do in the future I think any of the recent releases will be good, AC Syndicate, Origins and Odyssey.

Assassin's Creed II is where I started as well and it's easily one of the best, but you could really start with any of them. Personally I think Assassin's Creed Origins may be the best starting point if you don't wanna go back too far

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

I started with Odyssey and im quite fine. My undestanding is that Orgins and Odyssey are dramatically different then anything else in the series. Thye are genuine open world games with RPG elements, as opposed to more rail driven stealth games. I tried Syndicate and hated it, for example. Odyssey fits me like a glove. I like the balance of action and stealth, and I love the open world setting of ancient Greece. I also really like playing as Kassandra rather then the traditional gruff stoic hero dude.

The immediate story has nothing to do with the rest of them. Youtube and wikipedia can fill in the lore gaps. Its like asking if you need to read the Hobbit to understand The Lord of the Rings.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Dont forget to experiment with heavy weapons especially in late game. With three points in the overpower ability and being able to chain attacks, axes and hammers WRECK large groups of enemies. Its pretty awesome. Engrave "OP ability -1" or whatever its called and OP attacks only require 2 adrenaline bars.

Spears have their place too especially with animals you need to keep at distance. This game does a really good job of diffentiating weapon types.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I hate using the big weapons so far, I actually like the daggers the most. The big weapons are just so dang slow.

Early game I did too. Late game they are excellent at mob remediation. I think its because you cant really take advantage of them until you have loaded up the overpower attacks.

For instance it allows you to chain 5 straight unblockable attacks to different enemies that deal HUGE damage and toss the enemy flying. In a pinch you can clear a bunch of enemies.

This should give you some idea of what I mean

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The difference in quality of voice acting between Kassandra and Alexios is staggering.

Kassandra's is excellent. Alexios sounds like a charicature of a "hero".

You can really tell this game was meant to be as Kassandra. Im glad I went down that path.

Also want to reiterate how much I hate the naval portions of this game. The only part I found amusing in it was when I hired a female crew and they (obviously) started singing a female version of the sailing songs. I should have expected that but it still took me by surprise :laugh:

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The difference in quality of voice acting between Kassandra and Alexios is staggering.

Kassandra's is excellent. Alexios sounds like a charicature of a "hero".

You can really tell this game was meant to be as Kassandra. Im glad I went down that path.

Also want to reiterate how much I hate the naval portions of this game. The only part I found amusing in it was when I hired a female crew and they (obviously) started singing a female version of the sailing songs. I should have expected that but it still took me by surprise :laugh:

I picked Alexios because I wanted to do a meathead style build and character. I would have picked Kassandra for stealth and hunter. I mean I know it doesn't matter, just thought it would fit better.

How do you get a new crew any? Not lieutenants just reg crew members. I am on level 20 and still have the all bald dudes.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I picked Alexios because I wanted to do a meathead style build and character. I would have picked Kassandra for stealth and hunter. I mean I know it doesn't matter, just thought it would fit better.

How do you get a new crew any? Not lieutenants just reg crew members. I am on level 20 and still have the all bald dudes.

I think theyre quest rewards? I never sought them out, the crew skins just appeared as I progressed the story.

Meathead perfectly describes the way Alexios sounds too :laugh:

Did you ever figure out the armour appearance problem?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

mostly from completing quests, but you can get some from loot from shpiwrecks

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Big PSN sale but there are like 5 different versions of the game listed so I just said f*** it and played Red Dead instead.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Just announced that AC3 remastered will come out at the end of March. Will also be apart of the season pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad