Askarov or Wallstedt

Who will be the better NHL goalie, Askarov or Wallstedt?

• Total voters

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is that because you're high on Askarov or lower than most on Wallstedt? Just curious

Both. Askarov is very underrated. The guy has generational goalie level production and raw talent. Wallstedt isn’t as naturally talented, but he also hasn’t gotten the same level of results. He had an underwhelming draft season. I wouldn’t draft him earlier than late first. Askarov should’ve went in the top 10 last season.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I will not vote. But i just hope Wallstedt i our future Lundqvist.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Pretty close to each other in their first years in the AHL. Haven't followed Askarov, but Wallstedt has really turned it around after a rocky start.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I voted Askarov, but that's mostly wishful thinking, since I don't follow Wallstedt. Askarov certainly has some glaring flaws in his game that will be worked on. I think he'll always be "adventurous" in terms of style, but he has other things like his glove he really needs to fix, even if he retains some of the other positioning weaknesses that drive the conservative goalie school types crazy.

At the same time, if Askarov gets hurt or starts to lose his quick legs and flexibility, what does have to fall back on?

Anyway, as a Predators fan I still wouldn't consider trading Askarov for any other goalie prospect. He's got so much "fun factor" in terms of his style and personality that it will be entertaining to have him around even if he doesn't turn out to be better.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'll go with Wallstedt here. Askarov has more natural athletic talent, but i'm still a bit iffy on how that's going to iron out at the NHL level. He's one of those guys who is so athletic and instinctive, it can get him into a bit of trouble at times. At the NHL level, he's going to have to continue to rein that in, or guys are going to quickly learn to take advantage of it and bait him into mistakes. Just seems less polished and controlled as a whole.

It reminds me a bit of Kari Lehtonen at times. Sky's the limit upside...but keeping in control and continuing to learn to focus that ability better is probably key to realizing that upside.

Whereas Wallstedt feels a lot "safer" to me. Yet still with super high upside. Wouldn't feel bad at all taking that option here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->