ASGs Thread

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I've never heard of Bebe Rexha, but good god is her azz ginormous. Like, freakishly large.

It looks like they took a skinny, good looking girl's upper body, and put it on the lower body of a fat person.

Sorta like a bowling pin.

large.png

Reactions: BenedictGomez

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
When I first started watching hockey in 91 I thought the all star competition and game were the greatest. I still think they're fun, though I don't even remember when they're on half the time. As I got older I was surprised how low an opinion people have towards all star games in every sport.

This matches my experience as well. When I was little I looked forward to it and thought it was awesome.

I'm not sure what percentage of it is, "I was a kid", versus "the games have gotten much worse" over the years, I'd guess 40:60. There's no doubt the games, even though high scoring, were more competitive. Sometimes there would be crazy high scores, but often they were 6-4 or 9-7, but it felt like decent hockey. Yes, there was a drop in defense a bit and no checking, but it's gotten to the point where defense is intentionally not played.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Barzal is a good example of the uncertainty of drafting huh school seniors and projecting how they will perform as grown men. It’s not as if the professional scouts saw him as can’t miss.

I remember reading an article from around March 2015 that said Barzal was a Top-3 pick of he didn't injure his knee prior to that season.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
the problem with the ASG is that there is no hitting (and rightly so, hitting would be super awkward in that setting). so you’re taking away a fundamental part of hockey, which is bad enough...but the end result is players half heartedly swinging their sticks around in feeble attempts to poke check the puck. the whole thing looks unnatural and insincere

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I remember reading an article from around March 2015 that said Barzal was a Top-3 pick of he didn't injure his knee prior to that season.

Sure but he went 15 or 16? And the Bruins passed on him three times. I’m not suggesting he was a nobody but he wasn’t an obvious pick to the pro scouts. Some liked him but some didn’t for whatever reason.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
To be honest, this is the first year in many that I actually watched the entire ASG (Skills competition and the actual game), and it was fun. You need to go into it knowing it's all for a laugh and to make kids smile and sponsors happy. Then you appreciate the silliness more - the hotdogging plays and goalies trying dumb saves and everything.

My favorite moment was during the game last night was when they brought up how you could vote for the game's MVP, and Doc just started ranting that they couldn't write people in (He wanted Letang IIRC), and started saying that he was "powerless to do anything about it" and started blaming "the people above us". I was cracking up.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
This matches my experience as well. When I was little I looked forward to it and thought it was awesome.

I'm not sure what percentage of it is, "I was a kid", versus "the games have gotten much worse" over the years, I'd guess 40:60. There's no doubt the games, even though high scoring, were more competitive. Sometimes there would be crazy high scores, but often they were 6-4 or 9-7, but it felt like decent hockey. Yes, there was a drop in defense a bit and no checking, but it's gotten to the point where defense is intentionally not played.

I'm in the same boat and honestly i think everyone is/was. As a kid i couldn't wait to see the skills competition and thought it was amazing. as i got older? it got more boring and stupid and then pointless. the question i want to know is what did the "adults" think back then? did they think it was as great and fun and exciting? or were they too like this is stupid boring and pointless? my guess is it was probably fun to everyone since back then? middle of winter? there really wasn't much going on in tv and in life. now? kids playing all types of sports 7 days a week and different times. they should just do away with the all star game but it makes too much money somehow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad