A's Sign Fan Who Threw 96 at a Radar Gun Booth

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Reminds me of those pitchers from India who signed for the Pirates several years ago. But at least this guy has baseball experience even if it's just high school ball.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
It reminds me of the scene in The Rookie (based on a true story of Rays pitcher Jim Morris).

"I'm going to get laughed at for calling in (a scouting report on) a 35 year old. But if I don't call in a lefty throwing 96, I'm going to get fired."

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Reminds me of those pitchers from India who signed for the Pirates several years ago. But at least this guy has baseball experience even if it's just high school ball.

Million Dollar Arm, anybody?

It reminds me of the scene in The Rookie (based on a true story of Rays pitcher Jim Morris).

"I'm going to get laughed at for calling in (a scouting report on) a 35 year old. But if I don't call in a lefty throwing 96, I'm going to get fired."

Yeah I'm reminded more of Jim Morris here than either Rinku Singh or Dinesh Patel. Funnily enough, Singh is still around, albeit not in baseball - he signed a contract with the WWE in 2018 and has been wrestling as part of their NXT developmental brand (although he's yet to make a TV debut on NXT). No idea what's become of Patel.

It'll be interesting to see how Patterson does. His full stat line as it sits right now playing in the Arizona League is:

WLERAGGSCGSHOSVSVOIPHRERHRHBBBIBBSOAVGWHIPGO/AO
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
8 Ks and only 1 BB is impressive for someone signed because of a radar gun booth (very small sample size, but still...)

I feel like the story is overly sensationalized. The kid was a former high school pitcher and throws other pitches than a fastball.

They make it sound like it was this insane serendipity of picking up a baseball for the first time and recognizing he had a hidden gift.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I feel like the story is overly sensationalized. The kid was a former high school pitcher and throws other pitches than a fastball.

They make it sound like it was this insane serendipity of picking up a baseball for the first time and recognizing he had a hidden gift.
Not playing college or pro ball prior is significant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad