As perfect a Mock Draft as you'll get :)

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
I'd take Armia(Winger) over McNeill(Center) personally, but other then that this is a pretty good mock draft.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
6. Ottawa Senators - Gabriel Landeskog
May come as a surprise to some, but Ottawa manages to grab Landeskog, add another Swede that will be a solid pick for years to come.

14. Dallas Stars - Nathan Beaulieu
Stars take the small, offensive, defenceman prospect to bolster up their lack of defence.
Landeskog falling to #6 would be pretty surprising, as he seems to be fairly close to a consensus top 3 pick according to most scouts. Not impossible, but not likely IMO.

But I really don't see how Beaulieu is "small" at 6'3" and 191 lbs, he's tall and not particularly skinny for a guy who just turned 18 a few months ago.

Leafssss

Jun 23, 2010
CANADA
Landeskog falling to #6 would be pretty surprising, as he seems to be fairly close to a consensus top 3 pick according to most scouts. Not impossible, but not likely IMO.

But I really don't see how Beaulieu is "small" at 6'3" and 191 lbs, he's tall and not particularly skinny for a guy who just turned 18 a few months ago.

For landeskog, I do not see the reason for him being a top 3 pick, he is overrated IMO for his "intangibles" rather then skill. I see him topping out as a 60pt two way player with maybe 1 70 point season. Couturier I see as a twO way first line centre, consistent 70-80 point seasons in his prime.

As for beaulieu, I was looking at Rocco grimaldi's page when I wrote up on him, my mistake lol.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I can't see Landeskog passed on by the Isles, Garth LOVES these types of players. I don't even see him falling out of the top 3, but who knows what Florida will do. This is all a crapshoot until GMs give any indication of who they're picking.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I want Couturier, simple. I have him ranked almost equally with Larsson at 1. Watching Hedman play for Tampa makes me want Larsson a little more though.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I can't see Landeskog passed on by the Isles, Garth LOVES these types of players. I don't even see him falling out of the top 3, but who knows what Florida will do. This is all a crapshoot until GMs give any indication of who they're picking.

Except they already have a similar player in Nino.

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Drafting a forward at the 11th position who is years away from making an impact in the NHL does not justify the Avs trading Stastny (****ing dater!). Not to mention that if the Avs wanted to they already could have with Hishon tear up the OHL, Duchene and RoR already at the big club.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i think ottawa and NJ would have to flip picks to make this work.

maybe work in some cap relief like kuba for rolston, add one of the sens 2nds or 3rds.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
There's no chance Carolina picks Oleksiak at 12, IMO. Maybe if they trade down a couple spots to pick up an extra pick or two, but I don't see JR drafting a project d-man so high.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
Interesting mock up. Funny I think Landeskog is overrated on intangibles too, but really want him in Ottawa.
With the way Murphy has played at the under 18's he may be a riser. He is a New Jersey type player, somewhere between, Rafalski, and Neidermyer, but if he is who Lou wants the probably do try to swing a trade down. This would work with Ottawa only if Landeskog is still on the board.
There is a lot of fluidity to this year's draft that makes it more fun to predict.
Nice work Thanks

Draftman

Feb 28, 2002
Long Island, NY
Visit site
Very logical draft. However, with Colorado having the 2nd and 11th picks, they could decide to take Landeskog first to replace Stewart, and then take the defenseman later. Seimens, Beaulieu, or Oleksiak should be there at 11.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

i think ottawa and NJ would have to flip picks to make this work.

maybe work in some cap relief like kuba for rolston, add one of the sens 2nds or 3rds.

This.

If the Devils are targetting Murphy, Lou will move down and add a extra pick. I'd go with 4th overall for 6th overall + 2012 2nd round pick.

MPStoEberletoHall*

1. Edmonton Oilers - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Edmonton gets their dynamic playmaking centre to play with Hall and Eberle

2. Colorado Avalanche - Adam Larsson
Colorado solidifies it's defence with Larsson, allowing them to trade JM Liles for forward assets.

3. Florida Panthers - Sean Couturier
Tallon loves dem Big Boyz, Panthers happy with a solid, low-risk pick.

4. New Jersey Devils - Ryan Murphy
Devils get that PMD that even their former coach, Jacques Lemaire, said they desperately needed. Amazing vision for such a young talent.

5. New York Islanders - Dougie Hamilton
Islanders get that all-around defenceman that can have his offensive side tutored by Mark Streit.

6. Ottawa Senators - Gabriel Landeskog
May come as a surprise to some, but Ottawa manages to grab Landeskog, add another Swede that will be a solid pick for years to come.

7. Atlanta Thrashers - Jonathon Huberdeau
Atlanta picks up another big forward to play along the massive PWF in Kane, and the shifty Burmistrov.

8. Columbus Blue Jackets - Ryan Strome
Columbus adds another centre that they see as the #1 need in their organization. With this and Johansen's development, players like Huselius and Brassard may become expendable for a PMD.

9. Boston Bruins (from Toronto) - Duncan Siemens
Bruins pick the gritty defencemen who will help fill in with their lackluster defensive prospects.

10. Minnesota Wild - Mika Zibanejad
Wild pick a young talented centre to their aging forward corp.

11. Colorado Avalanche (from St. Louis) - Mark McNeill
Having picked the best defenseman in the draft, Colorado chooses a big gifted centre who possibly makes Stastny expendable for further assets.

12. Carolina Hurricane - Jamie Oleksiak
Carolina chooses a big skilled defenceman to a D-corp that may see Pitkanen go this offseason.

13. Calgary Flames - Brandon Saad
Calgary chooses a PWF prospect that can be mentored by one of the greats, Jarome Iginla.

14. Dallas Stars - Nathan Beaulieu
Stars take the small, offensive, defenceman prospect to bolster up their lack of defence.

15. New York Rangers - Joel Armia
Rangers take a skilled offensive prospect who may turn out to be their future replacement of Gaborik.

16. Buffalo Sabres - Mark Scheifele
Sabres take the big, yet lanky, centre in hopes of strengthening themselves down the middle.

17. Montreal Canadiens - Tyler Biggs
Biggs, yes he is. Montreal adds a PWF prospect that adds SIZE to their team.

18. Chicago Blackhawks - Sven Bartschi
Bit of a drop, Blackhawks take an undersized winger who has the ability to play a support role with great offensive players.

19. Edmonton Oilers (from LA) - David Musil
After taking RNH first overall, Oilers look to add to their D by selecting the gifted David Musil.

20. Phoenix Coyotes - Vladislav Namestinov
After having lack of high-end talent on their team, Phoenix takes the risky pick hoping this Russian pans out.

21. Ottawa Senators (from Nashville) - Zach Phillips
Sens take a strong centre who they hope was the real reason behind the Sea Dogs success.

22. Anaheim Ducks - Matt Puempel
Ducks take the offensively talent sniper in Puempel who's stock fall due to an injury, may become the steal of this draft.

23. Tampa Bay - Jonas Brodin
Bolts take a talent dman to a lackluster corp of aging dman and poor system.

24. Toronto (from Boston) - Dmitri Jaskin
Leafs take the talented Czech-Russian who's stock fell somewhat to a knee injury.

25. Detroit - Victor Rask
Wings take a risk here hoping they can develop some top-end talent.

26. San Jose - Scott Mayfield
Another huge dman to their system, their D is looking scary in 3 years.

27. Pittsburgh Penguins - Boone Jenner
Taking the safe pick with a lot of heart. Pens hope he can become an offensive force playing with their elite centres.

28. Toronto (from Philadelphia)- Nicklas Jensen
Toronto takes the PWF prospect who they hope develops into a Kulemin-lite player.

29. Washington Capitals - Alexander Kohklachev
Russian. Need I say more?

30. Vancouver Canucks - Joseph Morrow
With lackluster defensive prospects, Canucks add a skilled dman to replace a Bieksa/Ehrhoff/Salo/Hamhuis/Ballard down the road.

Opinions are welcome.

This is bad

IkeaMonkey*

Sweet a draft where the Caps take a Russian. Something we've been sorely lacking.

hdtrax

Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination it seems.

Btw, switch Biggs and Saad. If CGY knew what was good for them, they'd take Biggs over Saad too.

Oh and Jenner is destined to be a Leaf, as much as Jaskin has grown on me, I see him going in the 2nd round or 29-30th overall spot.

Maybe Burke will convince his buddy Bob Murray to trade down so he can get Puempel instead :D

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I want Couturier, simple. I have him ranked almost equally with Larsson at 1. Watching Hedman play for Tampa makes me want Larsson a little more though.

There's very little separating the top-8 players, NJ has a lot invested in forwards (money & last 2 1st rounders) and a severe lack of talent on defense in the NHL or the prospect pool.

Same goes for NYI with 5 of their last 6 1st rounders used on forwards.

In a draft like this one, with so little separating what BPA means to most team, I could 1 or both of these teams taking D-men at their current spots or otherwise.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

There's very little separating the top-8 players, NJ has a lot invested in forwards (money & last 2 1st rounders) and a severe lack of talent on defense in the NHL or the prospect pool.

Same goes for NYI with 5 of their last 6 1st rounders used on forwards.

In a draft like this one, with so little separating what BPA means to most team, I could 1 or both of these teams taking D-men at their current spots or otherwise.

Landeskog is on the board at #4, Murray calls Lou and they make a deal (4th overall for 6th overall and a 2nd rounder in 2012), the Sens pick Gabriel Landeskog, the Islanders pick Dougie Hamilton and the Devils pick Ryan Murphy.

Everyone leaves the draft happy :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad