Player Discussion Artyom Zub (D) [Page 4 Senators sign from KHL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Successful NHL players (NHL players in general) from the leagues, and drafted players, and they generally send their best VHL players and some MHL guys over for the Russia/CHL challenge (some KHL guys), and don't do very well, even having the Russians from the CHL leagues, and the CHL not using any Euro or American players, of which there are tons of 1st round guys every year.

I mean, there were 4 CHLers on the Russian World Junior team (who are faithful to those who stay in Russia to a fault) and there were no guys from the MHL on it.

Canada's World Junior team (U-20) is 90% from their 3 junior leagues every year.

Russia's World Junior team is 95+% from the KHL/VHL/CHL. Their Junior league doesn't get looked at from the U-20.

Fair enough. Of course they lose their top end guys between the two pro leagues by 18 or 19, and they like an older term for World Juniors. But my reckoning was that the overall depth of quality of all of Russian junior hockey would be better than any of the CHL leagues individually. Even if the CHL leagues have the better top end players.

@theanalytic are there any statistical analyses on league quality that could shed some light on this?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Fair enough. Of course they lose their top end guys between the two pro leagues by 18 or 19, and they like an older term for World Juniors. But my reckoning was that the overall depth of quality of all of Russian junior hockey would be better than any of the CHL leagues individually. Even if the CHL leagues have the better top end players.

@theanalytic are there any statistical analyses on league quality that could shed some light on this?
There are 33 teams in the MHL, it's not a very high depth league either, comprised entirely of Russian kids. Most of the good players are playing in the VHL/KHL at 18. There are almost always less guys drafted from here than any of the CHL leagues alone, and those drafted end up in the VHL/KHL the next season.

There are 50 teams in the CHL, each team is using 2 Euro slots on high end Europeans for a total of 100 Euro's/Russians, along with all of the American players. Players are either in the CHL or NHL at 18/19, leaving most in the leagues. Each league sees ~20+ drafted a year, then these guys stay in the league for another 2 seasons.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
There are 33 teams in the MHL, it's not a very high depth league either, comprised entirely of Russian kids. Most of the good players are playing in the VHL/KHL at 18. There are almost always less guys drafted from here than any of the CHL leagues alone, and those drafted end up in the VHL/KHL the next season.

There are 50 teams in the CHL, each team is using 2 Euro slots on high end Europeans for a total of 100 Euro's/Russians, along with all of the American players. Players are either in the CHL or NHL at 18/19, leaving most in the leagues. Each league sees ~20+ drafted a year, then these guys stay in the league for another 2 seasons.

You make some good points. Looks like about 20 U20s played a full KHL season last year, and another 10+ played partial seasons. And upward of 50 U20s played 20+ VHL games...

Ok I might be wrong on this. Part of my rationale was that you rarely see MHL players put up the kind of ridiculous 2 p/g numbers you see CHL players do. Usually that kind of production is a product of poor overall league quality and vast discrepancy between the best and worst teams/players. But now that I think about it, MHL players don't get a chance to put up those kind of numbers for significant samples because they get called up, to VHL if not KHL. Whereas like you mentioned, the CHL players are stuck there putting up silly numbers unless they make the NHL

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

ijif

Dec 20, 2018

In terms of scoring, all the junior leagues are pretty close, but scoring may or may not relate to overall league quality. I know Mannyelk's translations are publically available, and he has the MHL as the hardest junior league to score.

I do think you would see bigger numbers in the MHL if the players did not get moved up into the VHL or KHL.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
there's an awful lot to dive in to with your post...I didn't really want to get in to this ….but there are things in here you've said that I don't agree with

With that "older, bigger, stronger, wiser" comment, I was referring to the players who are the exact same players who were in junior and are now in USport or European pro leagues or whatever we're referring to. As I general rule I'd say their hockey IQ improves over time.

As a general rule, hockey IQ doesn't improve over time beyond a certain age....any kid that is exposed to the best development in this country doesn't see their IQ continue to climb as they age beyond their teenager years...as they age and with longer term exposure to similar systems, they might understand a system better, but no their IQ doesn't continually improve....some people have elite hockey sense, it's just something you are born with and develop and some don't have that elite sense....you can coach them to a reasonable level but you cannot develop someone without natural IQ to the point of it being an asset...this is why we have the phrase in sports "all the tools, no tool box"

I think @BondraTime addressed your thoughts on the russian junior league

I don't want to do too much research for you. I had to figure this stuff out for myself. But just go through any of the next tier of pro leagues - Slovakia, ECHL, EBEL, Allsvenskan, and you'll find players who were formerly first line players in major junior and now after a few more years of development are still not at the same level as pros.

this is the point i initially made....it doesn't matter how much additional dev time some guys have....they will never develop in to pro level hockey players if we define pro as being NHL. One reason for that is they don't have the IQ...you're contradicting yourself here where you are saying the IQ improves over time and then you're wondering why after a few more years of development they are not at the same level as pros

there's a reason you'll find players in these leagues that were frontline players in junior but who somehow haven't made pro....most of them were front line players playing junior with someone on their line that was going further in hockey than they were and playing with that guy made their stats look awesome....and I'll roll some of your points up in to a tidy example for you....Allsvenskan and Jonathan Dahlen....he put up awesome numbers as an 18 year old....playing with some guy named Pettersson .... Pettersson is an elite quality pro hockey player and at 17 years old was making Dahlen post big numbers....fast forward a few years, Pettersson is an NHL star and Dahlen is .... I don't what he is ....the point that I am making is without the context you cannot go back thru a hockey DB and look at stats....you'll find tons and tons of guys that put up good numbers in junior but never went anywhere and you'll find the guy that did go somewhere that inflated the stats of those around him in junior

If you go down another tier to Norway, Denmark, France, then you start to see import players from CHL put up similar numbers to what they did in junior, but keep in mind that is generally after at least a couple years of development in ECHL and/or AHL. Players develop and get better over time.

go look at some of the stats for these leagues ...ok... using the list that i initially posted, i'll bypass the OHL, the NCAA and the AHL as the 10th, 9th, and 8th league and look at the german league which was 7th...the leading scorer in that league this year was Wayne Simpson....30 years old, never drafted, 5 foot 10...the top goal scorer in that league is Trevor Parkes....he bounced around minor pro in North America and off he went to Europe to make some money, knowing he wasn't going to make the NHL

look at the swiss league...in 19-20 the top scorer on the top team was Mark Arcobello at 31....he had some coffee in the NHL but he's undersized and 31....he's the top player on a top team.....and other top players are into their 30s ...are they currently better players than the top kids playing on junior teams? look at the 67s....are these top Bern players currently better players than Rossi or Quinn? or Bahl? these Bern players are not really bigger than the junior kids (or large enough that size is the determining factor in a head to head game), in fact they're size is possibly in part what limited their opportunity to play pro hockey...so suppose we line up Bern to play against the 67s....i'm thinking the 67s have the two best forwards in that game and the best D. Do you think that these players are better than top junior players? I don't.

The bit about any given OHL rosters having 5 players who are more talented than anyone on Euro pro leagues besides KHL, SHL and Liiga is simply and irresponsibly false. Try watching some of these leagues. Or at least look into the stats. Players develop and get better over time. How is it that the Canadian World Junior team often loses to USports all-stars in the exhibition games they play each year? How on earth would that make sense if skill simply wins out?

a few years back in the heat of the Dahlen debates I was talking up canadian university hockey....the issue here isn't the junior players....it's a misunderstanding of just how good canadian university hockey is....it's mostly guys that aged out of playing junior and that recognized they weren't going to be NHL players and are taking advantage of their CHL contracts and getting an education....they are quality hockey players that are a tier below the best junior players....and a lot of them are better players than what you see in the minor pro leagues in europe

we can go on and on about this.....i stated a couple of posts ago that i am not an expert in ranking hockey leagues and i don't care to research stats to develop a ranking of it....this discussion started with a comment that the KHL was not as good as the AHL and i simply posted a link about hockey league rankings

this is what i originally said
Why? How i interpret that is it's the best junior league in the world

Once you get beyond the top leagues in each country in Europe plus the two pro leagues here, it gets thin fast.

There would he more high end talent on the junior teams, the issue is whether the kids could play against the men

the reality is that there is more high end talent on junior teams than there is on Euro rosters once you get beyond the top euro leagues...the KHL, the SHL and the Finn league

from the 2019 draft....there are 5 kids that played in the NHL this year, 3 of them as regulars
from the 2018 draft .....there are 19 kids that played in the NHL this year, 3 of them as regulars
from the 2017 draft .... there are 51 kids that have played in the NHL this year

these kids are coming from a variety of dev backgrounds but the majority of them are coming out of the CHL....take away the KHL, SHL and the finn league....how many players from those leagues have played in the best league in the world in the past 3 years? you'll find some guys on the downside of their careers that had a coffee....what you won't find are 75 guys that have a future in the best league in the world

The bit about any given OHL rosters having 5 players who are more talented than anyone on Eruo pro leagues besides KHL, SHL and Liiga is simply and irresponsibly false. Try watching some of these leagues.

i'm going to leave you with this ....i said there would be more high end talent on junior teams....i quoted myself right above here.....I live in Ottawa so I'll cherry pick the 67s....i'll take away the KHL, SHL and the finn league....and i'll give you all the other leagues and rosters combined....and i'm thinking that you cannot find 3 players with more talent than Rossi, Quinn and Bahl

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So... the D group looking something like this...

LDRD
ChabotZaitsev
WolaninZub
BrannstromJaros?
Reilly
Boroweicki
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

JBD and Thomson aren't here next year in all likelihood. We have a glut of LD, but do we sign Boro since he can play RD, or do we slide Brannstrom over to the right side or both? I doubt very much we go into next season with Jaros being gifted a spot given the uneven season he had.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So... the D group looking something like this...

LDRD
ChabotZaitsev
WolaninZub
BrannstromJaros?
Reilly
Boroweicki
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
JBD and Thomson aren't here next year in all likelihood. We have a glut of LD, but do we sign Boro since he can play RD, or do we slide Brannstrom over to the right side or both? I doubt very much we go into next season with Jaros being gifted a spot given the uneven season he had.
Wolanin, Brannstrom and Reilly can all play RD. I hope they dont sign Hainsey. Id take Boro as the number 8.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Chabot - Hainsey
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Borowiecki - Zub
Reilly

Have Brannstrom down in Belleville running the PP and getting top pairing ES minutes and hope he’s ready to stay up in Ottawa by the 2021 trade deadline.

Reactions: Sweatred

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Boro is most likely getting a regular spot here and frankly he wasnt that bad last year where i want him gone. I would want bran to get a bit more seasoning in the ahl so we should plan on him being there unless he wows us at camp. This means signing or trading for a RD

Chabot-One of (Tanev/Hamonic/Braun)
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Borowiecki-Zub
Reilly

and if bran wows at camp he takes either boros or zubs spot

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Boro is most likely getting a regular spot here and frankly he wasnt that bad last year where i want him gone. I would want bran to get a bit more seasoning in the ahl so we should plan on him being there unless he wows us at camp. This means signing or trading for a RD

Chabot-One of (Tanev/Hamonic/Braun)
Wolanin-Zaitsev
Borowiecki-Zub
Reilly

and if bran wows at camp he takes either boros or zubs spot

Hamonic would be awesome.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Chabot - Hainsey
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Borowiecki - Zub
Reilly

Have Brannstrom down in Belleville running the PP and getting top pairing ES minutes and hope he’s ready to stay up in Ottawa by the 2021 trade deadline.

That is exactly what I think will happen, if Zub signs an NHL contract.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad