mynamejeff420

Apr 14, 2020
Over the past 3 seasons Lehkonen ranks (among forwards with 500+ 5v5 minutes):

132nd in 5v5 P (74th percentile)
161st in 5v5 P1/60 (68th percentile)
153rd in GF%
50th in xGF%
162nd in GAR

The guy produces points like a second liner and is terrific defensive winger. He puts up results better than a number of established top 6 players. It's nuts that some Habs fans talk about him as if he wouldn't even be on the 4th line for a number of teams. He's great.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Over the past 3 seasons Lehkonen ranks (among forwards with 500+ 5v5 minutes):

132nd in 5v5 P (74th percentile)
161st in 5v5 P1/60 (68th percentile)
153rd in GF%
50th in xGF%
162nd in GAR

The guy produces points like a second liner and is terrific defensive winger. He puts up results better than a number of established top 6 players. It's nuts that some Habs fans talk about him as if he wouldn't even be on the 4th line for a number of teams. He's great.
It's that he could produce so much more if he didn't have cinderblocks for hands. He's smart, fast, decent size and has Gallagher level work ethic. He just can't bury or make the key pass. This guy should have 50+ points per year with all the chances hey gets/creates

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-8-14_20-5-5.png

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Many seem to forget how young he still is.

He plays such a strong game already. He will just grow into it. Look at Byron: the word on him was that he kept getting breakaways and doing nothing with them. Over the Montreal years, he became a better goal scorer and he does well on breakaways now.

Lehkonen is a hard worker with a solid overall game. He is a great 3rd liner as is. Should top out as a 2nd liner pretty easily.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Many seem to forget how young he still is.

He plays such a strong game already. He will just grow into it. Look at Byron: the word on him was that he kept getting breakaways and doing nothing with them. Over the Montreal years, he became a better goal scorer and he does well on breakaways now.

Lehkonen is a hard worker with a solid overall game. He is a great 3rd liner as is. Should top out as a 2nd liner pretty easily.
25 years old is’nt a young player. This is not old, but his growth have finished. Hés gonna be a good 3rd line winger. We are not facing big muscle team like columbus, boston yet. It wont be easy for him. But he still a good 3rd liner

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The only thing that irks me about my boy Lehkonen is his shot selection. Many times I'd prefer him to hit the breaks and establish a cycle, instead of firing off a low-percentage shot. Same with Gallagher. Our genius Kirk Muller in not willing or able to coach this out of them, which is a shame, as I think more extended offensive zone time would lead to more high quality scoring chances.
This is just a guess on my part but I think Lehkonen is one of those few players who would improve his numbers if he played with less intensity. He plays revved up and that's great for when he is fore and backchecking. For when he is battling in the corners but it's a hazard when he is shooting. He needs to lower his heart rate just before shooting like biathlon athletes.

That came to me when I saw the replay of his tripping all over himself on that two on zero break away the other game. The camera angle showed a shot of his face. He tensed up and squeezed his stick.

He should learn from biathlon athletes how to lower his heart rate. Anyway my two cents.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
This is just a guess on my part but I think Lehkonen is one of those few players who would improve his numbers if he played with less intensity. He plays revved up and that's great for when he is fore and backchecking. For when he is battling in the corners but it's a hazard when he is shooting. He needs to lower his heart rate just before shooting like biathlon athletes.

That came to me when I saw the replay of his tripping all over himself on that two on zero break away the other game. The camera angle showed a shot of his face. He tensed up and squeezed his stick.

He should learn from biathlon athletes how to lower his heart rate. Anyway my two cents.
That's an interesting take. He does have this "I've got to save my mother from certain death" crazy look about him when there's a dangerous rush developing.

Reactions: Lshap

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Love this guy. Not a pure goal scorer, but but does everything else very well. Looks like a pain in the royal ass to play against too.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
25 years old is’nt a young player. This is not old, but his growth have finished. Hés gonna be a good 3rd line winger. We are not facing big muscle team like columbus, boston yet. It wont be easy for him. But he still a good 3rd liner

25 is not that old and there is still valuable growth left,even if it is unlikely to be explosive growth.

So many players play well, but really come into their own offensively later on. See: Marchand, Armia (at a much lesser degree).

It also depends on fit with teammates and opportunity. I think a line with Danault may provide that opportunity to improve. They fit well together.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Accept him for what he is and does well, and you will see a generational talent. He is this generation's Jan Bullis. Seriously he is a very good third liner who will be cheap to hang onto because he won't have the points to get overpaid, with a flat cap, you need guys like this on your roster.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Really, really like Lehkonen. He is just so energetic on the ice and often creates scoring chances from nothing on his own, an impressive skill to have. If he could finish with the same stalwart consistency as he creates scoring chances he'd be scoring 35+ each year and laughing all the way to the bank.

But I heart him as he is, like the mother that I most definitely am not. That desperation of his, that effort and commitment, that beautiful skating too, is awesome to watch. And he elevates his game in the playoffs to boot.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
have always liked Leks and while I understand why some don't care for him, he's a very solid 3rd liner.

I really like him on a Byron Danault Lehkonen line. That line's main job is to keep the other team's best line from scoring. For the most part any scoring they do is a bonus. So in that sense it really doesn't matter how many scoring chances Lehkonen screws up. On other lines, other than a 4th line, it does.

Reactions: montreal

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

He's part Eddie Shack and part Bobby Sheehan: tremendous effort, speed, frenzied play and little finish. But I will always take that type of high energy player over a skilled player who lacks intensity, if only for some comic relief . I think after that classic 2 on 0, its clear that they would probably pick Price, with his pads on, over Lehkonen as a shooter in an extended shoot out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->