D Arttu Kärki - Soo Greyhounds, OHL (2023, 96th, VGK)

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Arttu is a two-way defender hailing from Finland. In December he will be 16 years old, but last season he played 15 games for Tappara's U18 team, getting 3 assists. He had to adjust to the big change in play but standing at 6'1'', he already has the size to compete. Arttu is one of the most exciting 2004 born Finnish defensemen and this season he already is over a point per game. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets some U20 games. Look out for this in the internationals!

Arttu Kärki at eliteprospects.com

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
14 points in the last 6 games at the U20 level.

Tappara doesn't seem to give their junior defenders gametime at pro level this season so seems unlikely he gets called up. Same with Kulonummi.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
14 points in the last 6 games at the U20 level.

Tappara doesn't seem to give their junior defenders gametime at pro level this season so seems unlikely he gets called up. Same with Kulonummi.
Probably why Hamara went to OHL.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I didn’t think he looked special at the U18s but he dominated the U18 games with Tappara last season and definitely looked like a player who can be a high pick there.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Surprised the conversation is dead here. Have him as a potential late first round pick. See him as a guy who could go in the first 2 rounds.
Still surprised the conversation is dead here. Seems like an interesting player. Over a point per game in Finnish juniors this season.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
Still surprised the conversation is dead here. Seems like an interesting player. Over a point per game in Finnish juniors this season.
Yeah, I still have him as a possible R2 pick. My most recent ranking had Karki at 38. I think he could be a steal in the Draft. He's a big high-IQ two-way defender. If he was Arthur Kirwin from the London Knights he'd probably be talked about as High as Round 1.

• Haha
Reactions: pgfan66

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Arttu D2, you've always wanted one and here's your chance to get him.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Drubilly

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
He plays in the Tappara system. They are not going to use him over their veteran defensemen. Kärki did the best he could considering the circumstances.
Tomas Hamara played 26 games last season. Kasper Kulonummi played 11 games this season. Both are defensemen and drafted in 2022 draft.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Tomas Hamara played 26 games last season. Kasper Kulonummi played 11 games this season. Both are defensemen and drafted in 2022 draft.

Yes, so they are older and more experienced than Kärki and therefore in front of him in the system.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Yes, so they are older and more experienced than Kärki and therefore in front of him in the system.
Hamara played 26 Liiga games during his draft season. Kärki has played 0 Liiga games during his draft season.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Lassi Alanen had this to say about Kärki back in February: (link to article)

"Kärki is still a player with distinct strengths and weaknesses, which probably makes him a rather polarizing player among NHL teams. Ironing out his defensive game and retrievals during the final stretch of the season would go a long way in mitigating some of those concerns."

Sounds like his defensive game is bad and that's probably why he hasn't played any games in Liiga.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Hamara played 26 Liiga games during his draft season. Kärki has played 0 Liiga games during his draft season.

Esa Lindell played 0 Liiga games during his draft year. Turned out just fine. It's not the end of the world if a player doesn't get Liiga games in their draft year.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Esa Lindell played 0 Liiga games during his draft year. Turned out just fine. It's not the end of the world if a player doesn't get Liiga games in their draft year.
Yes that's true. But Lindell was also a 3rd round pick. If Kärki was as good as some people are saying here (late first round/second round) I think he would've played at least a couple of games in Liiga. But he didn't. 2 other young defensemen have played for Tappara these past 2 seasons (Hamara, Kulonummi) but not Kärki. And Hamara and Kulonummi are 3rd round picks. That makes me think Kärki is not as good as some are saying and he'll get drafted probably in 3rd round.

Reactions: BerthMania

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Wrong
Kärki=Tip
Tip of the spear

Not wrong. In fact, it's wrong to say that it's wrong. It's simply untrue that kärki can only be translated to tip, and in many cases the most natural translation to english would be point, or some other word than tip.

A dagger has a point, and a puukko has a kärki. Triangles and stars typically have points (or vertices), and they typically have kärkeä (sometimes sakaraa) in Finnish. Would you say that ''vitsin kärki'' would be more adequately translated as ''the tip of the joke'' or ''the point of the joke''?

1684654645615.png

1684654673891.png

1684654748368.png

1684654785025.png

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not wrong. In fact, it's wrong to say that it's wrong. It's simply untrue that kärki can only be translated to tip, and in many cases the most natural translation to english would be point, or some other word than tip.

A dagger has a point, and a puukko has a kärki. Triangles and stars typically have points (or vertices), and they typically have kärkeä (sometimes sakaraa) in Finnish. Would you say that ''vitsin kärki'' would be more adequately translated as ''the tip of the joke'' or ''the point of the joke''?

1. I'd much rather use tip, since point, standalone, makes me think of a variety of other things, such as a point in space.

2. The dagger also has a tip, in fact the point is a part of the tip, so the diagram you have there is a bit misleading.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
1. I'd much rather use tip, since point, standalone, makes me think of a variety of other things, such as a point in space.

2. The dagger also has a tip, in fact the point is a part of the tip, so the diagram you have there is a bit misleading.

The claim was that the translation was wrong. It's not. I even provided examples where tip would be incorrect, and point would be the more natural, or even necessary translation. The argument is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad