Music: Artists That Did Similar to What Bob Marley Did for Reggae?

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
My example of Run DMC I still think is a good one. In the 80s they were head and shoulders above the pack, brought a burgeoning music into mainstream households, influenced basically everyone downstream.

Shareef had a good call on Miles Davis.

I'd say the Grateful Dead would qualify too.

Maybe Bad Bunny - he seems to have a lock on reggaeton.

Country i think has had many iconic figures so I don't know if you could argue Willie over Waylon or Johnny Cash or Garth Brooks, etc.

Similarly Electronic music (how i see it as a broader grouping) is tough in that it was slow developing. I suppose you do have to separate out dance music from synth pop. And as much as I like Aphex Twin, i think he is more idiosyncratic than influential on a big scale and I dont think IDM, jungle, neon, 8bit or whatever subcategories are big enough for a Bob Marley type figurehead.

For better or worse, modern electronic music owes more to rhythmically straighforward acts like Daft Punk and The Chemical Brothers and deeper people like Orbital and 808 state (yes and Richie Hawtin/Plastikman) and goes more towards singles driven/disposable house and disco from there because it has been a DJs medium and there is a long list of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad