Artificial Hand Whistle

confuxion99

Nov 3, 2020
Vermont
I used to attend University of Vermont men's hockey games throughout my youth. One of their former coaches, Mike Gilligan, used to make this loud, shrill whistling noise through his teeth when he wanted a line change, which I always thought was pretty neat.

Now that I'm older and coaching my sons' teams, I've often wondered if there were any devices that emulated this whistling noise, for those (myself included) who aren't able to whistle loud through their teeth or using their fingers in their mouth. It obviously couldn't make a sound that's in any way similar to the referee's whistle. I always thought this was an effective way to let your players know they needed to change-up, short of yelling at the top of your lungs. Any thoughts/ideas?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I think the refs would be extremely hostile to anyone bringing any kind of whistle anywhere near the ice.

But if @confuxion99 figures out something that works please let us know - getting younger kids to come off the ice is a perennial problem.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Google "Electronic Whistle" and you'll find a lot of options for push button whistles. Most of my coaches used traditional whistles but I had an assistant coach at one point who had one and it was pretty cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad