Article on "NHL on HBO?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2005/07/24/move_the_nhl_to_hbo.php

Let me rundown the idea of HBO's National Hockey Night.

In the Studio:Bob Costas, Cam Neely, Paul Stewart and Barry Melrose

In the Booth:Marv Albert, Mike Richter, and Pierre McGuire

Between the first and second period, it's The Penalty Box — a 12-minute, no-holds-barred roundtable about the state of the NHL

During the second and third, it's a traditional studio show with highlights of other action and a review of the action thus far. In the time remaining after the game, it's a quick recap

Game Features will be Rail cams that capture the momentum of the game. Graphics that are able to I.D. players and quantify statistics without overwhelming the play. Open mics that catch everything from the "tap, tap, tap" of the attacking team's sticks on a power play to the occasional F-bomb from a frustrated player. "We want to remind the fans at home that these broadcasts are rated TV-14," Marv vocally winks.

Your Thoughts.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
it would be great but there are a lot of people who do not get premium cable. They rely on the ESPNs and TNTs. HBO only has boxing for a reason.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Fox Sports is still doing all the local games right? RIGHT?!?

golfmade

Go Preds Go
Dec 30, 2002
Idahoan in Taiwan
ScottyBowman said:
I don't have HBO and I am not interested in paying $15 a month to see hockey that was previously free on espn.

But you would also get shows like Deadwood, Entourage, and coming this fall a series about Rome :)

pred33fan

Jul 8, 2003
Nashville
I already pay too much for cable. There's no way I'm paying even more to get HBO. Terrible idea. Putting hockey on a premium channel is not a wise thing to do if the NHL wants the "casual fan" to watch. :shakehead

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
One night a week would be fantastic, as long as it wasn't the only outlet. It'd be the "Monday Night Football" of the NHL. This would never happen because it just makes way, way too much sense.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I like it. Hockey in its uncensored glory would be a viewing experience worth paying for. Mike the players, refs, coaches and rink, and turn on the tap.

As for the "casual" fan argument, screw it. How many fans are outside the viewing area of a local NHL team? 10? Any fan that gets local coverage of a team doesn't need national games to watch hockey. In fact, this is the problem, NHL hockey produces very good LOCAL ratings, and bad national ratings. By setting the NATIONAL games apart from the rest (Commercial free profanity laden telecasts), you make them worth watching.

golfmade

Go Preds Go
Dec 30, 2002
Idahoan in Taiwan
Lou is God said:
Really?? What's the name of the series? You know it will be kickass.

Rome, August 28th and yes, i've seen preview for it on HBO and it looks awesome.

By the way:
I heard a few months ago on NPR that David Milch originally wanted to do a series on Rome, but then heard HBO was already going to do one, so he then decided to do Deadwood (sure glad he did!) :yo:

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
HBO would be a GREAT venue for the NHL, but it cant be an exclusive contract. The NHL would be limiting themselves far too much.

BTW, I love HBO. Its practically the only reason I have cable at all right now (that and late night anime on cartoon network).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad