Article lists Helm as most likely buyout candidate

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Nielsen has a back-diving contract that will help him get moved as his term comes down on it and he is a player that contending teams will like in a depth role.

X2. I keep thinking the Nielsen deal is a buyout proof albatross, but there is some flexibility there. The way his contract is structured, the Wings could deal him after eating his $2.5M signing bonus due on 7/1/20, which would mean his new team only has to pay him $5.5M in real money for the remainder of the contract. Less so if the Red Wings retain as well.

Don't type that ****, someone in the Wing's front office might read this and get some ideas.

Oops. I just saw they're now pushing for Kovalchuk. :help:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I wish this said ericcson not helm as most likely candidate...

With two years to go, they might as well ride that one out rather than add more dead money on top of and for a year longer than the Weiss buyout. He played well this season paired with Daley. At least well enough to where he looks like he could be decent enough as a 3rd pairing guy on a team that has a competent enough top 4 to handle tougher assignments. If he and Daley can both keep it up for another season and a half, the Red Wings can put them on the market for the 2020 deadline and maybe get a draft pick or two from contenders looking for experienced blueline depth.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Buying helm out makes no sense, just trade him at the 19-20 deadline with retention, he's not even that overpaid with a cap at 80-81m,.

Trading Helm at 2.5m could probably net us a decent return.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Buying Helm out just means we can sign another stupid contract in FA

This X 1000. Especially with Holland still at the helm (no pun intended).

I equate Hollands finally going in a more "rebuild" direction to a decades long pack a day smoker who FINALLY quit. They'll say and do the right things for a little bit, but if they find a pack in a junk drawer, get in a certain place or situation, get in front of certain people or just smell cigarette smoke, they face a pretty good chance of going right back. Hollands right there kicking his 15+ year addiction to mostly building through free agency and deadline trades. He's said and done the right things, but give him some more than necessary cap space and you risk him relapsing. If he sees some coverage of the 2002 or 2008 Cup teams or maybe a Brett Hull Red Wings jersey at LCA, or maybe runs into Glenn Sather at a golf outing, he probably won't be able to resist dialing some agents and throwing around big words like "trade" or "movement" or "clause".

Because of that, I see the "bad contracts" more as "rebuild insurance". As long as those deals are on the books, there's at least hope that Ken Holland won't get tempted and lose focus on July 1st every year (at least during the rebuild).

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
With two years to go, they might as well ride that one out rather than add more dead money on top of and for a year longer than the Weiss buyout. He played well this season paired with Daley. At least well enough to where he looks like he could be decent enough as a 3rd pairing guy on a team that has a competent enough top 4 to handle tougher assignments. If he and Daley can both keep it up for another season and a half, the Red Wings can put them on the market for the 2020 deadline and maybe get a draft pick or two from contenders looking for experienced blueline depth.
only way we would ever get a draft pick for trading daley or ericcson if we eat some of the money and they play decent in the next 1.5 years which at their age would be tough to predict that happening imo.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
only way we would ever get a draft pick for trading daley or ericcson if we eat some of the money and they play decent in the next 1.5 years which at their age would be tough to predict that happening imo.

I mean it does seem like that's 100% do-able seeing that the Red Wings ate the max for Vanek and Mrazek to go out as rentals.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Think it's unneeded. We won't need the cap space this year. I would not be opposed to retaining a million or so of salary and trying to trade him at the deadline this year though. Helm at 2.85 for 2 1/2 years is a lot more appealing than 3.8 at 3.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
far from the worst contract we have.

I respectfully disagree in terms of going forward. Ericsson's and Dekeyser's are of course bad, but they have fewer years left IIRC. Really, the only two contracts worse than Helm I can see is Nielsen and Abdelkaders. Nielsen is a much better player than Helm and for better or for worse, the Wings seem to have anointed Abdelkader as the new fan favorite, shoving the Michigan connection down everyone's throat.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Helm's NTC will void after we don't make the playoffs this year. He drops to 3 million in actual salary, my guess is he is gone at some point next year maybe as early as the 2019 draft.

We don't need to buy any of these guys out. If the rebuild goes swiftly we will have to contemplate what to do with Abdelkader is really the only sticky one for me. Nielsen has a back-diving contract that will help him get moved as his term comes down on it and he is a player that contending teams will like in a depth role.
Nielsen I think will end up being like Matt Cullen. He doesn't play a very physical game and is very good defensively, an excellent 4th line center.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I think they should politely ask him to waive his NTC so they can ship him off to Arizona or somewhere else for a late pick, but I would welcome a buy out if he refuses..

Moving Helm (and XO) gives you a chance to throw a 7y/80M contract after Tavares while signing the RFAs at the expected rates. Even if JT has no interest, it opens a spot for Rasmussen/ Svech in the top 9, and accelerates the rebuild. As much as some here want a long term tank, Holland will never go for that, and Helm with that contract, should be the odd man out..

Of course you could keep him on the 4th line, and hope to trade him next year as his NTC will be void when we miss the playoffs.. but I'd rather let go of the past and move on already.. He isn't player he once was, the league has changed, his contract is terrible and should never have been signed. Helm used to be one of my favorite Wings, now he's one of my least favorite.. the contract is part of it, but I also think he has escaped a lot of criticism over the last few years due to his past service.

Why would John Tavares decide to come here over a plethora of competitive teams that will be pursuing him?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Can we stop talking about buyouts like they're a regular thing?

DET will have more than enough to sign everybody they need to sign. No point in buying somebody out and having to deal with half the cap hit for twice the duration.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
With Zetterberg LTIRetiring next year and Kronwall just straight up retiring, Kenny is gonna have cap space to burn.

Get your popcorn ready.

Big reason I wanted a new GM sooner than later. The team is opening up, finally, and I'm a little worried about it getting plugged back up with Weiss's, Helms, Nielsens, Ericssons and so on. You know, all those deals that are borderline buyout worthy but ultimately you file it under what's the point.

Hey, Filppula is back on the market this summer. That's a good start.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
With Zetterberg LTIRetiring next year and Kronwall just straight up retiring, Kenny is gonna have cap space to burn.

Get your popcorn ready.
Yep, Kenny gonna Kenny and load the roster with crap to try to luck into the playoffs. He ain't gonna suddenly change. That's not how guys in their mid 60s operate.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
But how on Earth will we maintain our lofty position in the NHL without that veteran leadership? What about the kids?? :naughty:
wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-children.jpg

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
Big reason I wanted a new GM sooner than later. The team is opening up, finally, and I'm a little worried about it getting plugged back up with Weiss's, Helms, Nielsens, Ericssons and so on. You know, all those deals that are borderline buyout worthy but ultimately you file it under what's the point.

Hey, Filppula is back on the market this summer. That's a good start.
We literally already have a Filppula. His name is Nielson. Exact same player basically. Same height, weight, play style, #, salary, birth date, wife, blood type, package, ect....

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad