Article lists Helm as most likely buyout candidate

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
What would be the point? Does nothing for us. The only time a player needs to be bought out while rebuilding is if they're a head case/ distraction.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I don't see that as being likely, that would be a huge black mark on Holland and the organization to buy out a lifelong Red Wing after just re-signing them.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
He shouldve never been signed.

But buyout isn't needed. Bite the bullet on these terrible contracts.

UNLESS a miracle happens and we sign tavares and carlson. Then buyout haha. But that's not happening.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
As everyone is saying, there's just no point. We don't need the cap space now and we could hopefully get something for him at the TDL in his last year. Helm would be a good, cheap depth addition on a contender.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
No point in buying him out. His cap hit is not that high. May as well ride it out another year and try to deal him when he has 1 or 2 years left on his contract.

muchbetterthanlada

Oct 24, 2015
I think they should politely ask him to waive his NTC so they can ship him off to Arizona or somewhere else for a late pick, but I would welcome a buy out if he refuses..

Moving Helm (and XO) gives you a chance to throw a 7y/80M contract after Tavares while signing the RFAs at the expected rates. Even if JT has no interest, it opens a spot for Rasmussen/ Svech in the top 9, and accelerates the rebuild. As much as some here want a long term tank, Holland will never go for that, and Helm with that contract, should be the odd man out..

Of course you could keep him on the 4th line, and hope to trade him next year as his NTC will be void when we miss the playoffs.. but I'd rather let go of the past and move on already.. He isn't player he once was, the league has changed, his contract is terrible and should never have been signed. Helm used to be one of my favorite Wings, now he's one of my least favorite.. the contract is part of it, but I also think he has escaped a lot of criticism over the last few years due to his past service.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
This is the only bad contract buying out wouldn't cripple us. Doesn't make much sense to me though. I guess Holland wants to clear roster spots.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
There's almost zero point, especially with the supposed large cap increase. IMO, it would be doubly bad to buyout Helm with the intention of going after Tavares..... That's kind of how the team ended up with Nielsen... Once JT doesn't even visit or talk to Detroit, Holland will probably then panic sign Tyler Bozak to a 7YR $42M contract.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
no point and far from the worst contract we have. not gonna happen, and nor should it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Considering I don't see anyone getting bought out, I can understand this.

But I don't see the point in buying him out, regardless.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No point in buying him out. His cap hit is not that high. May as well ride it out another year and try to deal him when he has 1 or 2 years left on his contract.

He will fetch us draft picks on his final year when traded.

Who the hell would want a 6-year caphit penalty from his buyout?

MOst like ly scenario:

Wings won't get to playoffs at next season --> this nullifies his NTC clause.

A) Holland will trade him at 2020 deadline.
B) Holland will pick him on expansion draft to Seattle (as Seattle GM).
C) There's a new GM in the house at 2020-21 to trade Helm away on his final year.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He isn't getting bought out, nor should he be. His contract being "bad" is way overblown! He gets overpaid by maybe $500,000-$600,000, big whoop, almost every player in the league makes more money than they should, as well as his contract is far, from untradeable. Lots of competing teams, would love a 3rd line C or W like Helm. Abby's contract is much worse, and so is Nielsen and DDK for that matter. Helm basically put up as many pts as AA and Nielsen, two players who got a boatload of PP time, to Helm's none.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
There's almost zero point, especially with the supposed large cap increase. IMO, it would be doubly bad to buyout Helm with the intention of going after Tavares..... That's kind of how the team ended up with Nielsen... Once JT doesn't even visit or talk to Detroit, Holland will probably then panic sign Tyler Bozak to a 7YR $42M contract.

Don't type that shit, someone in the Wing's front office might read this and get some ideas.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Helm's NTC will void after we don't make the playoffs this year. He drops to 3 million in actual salary, my guess is he is gone at some point next year maybe as early as the 2019 draft.

We don't need to buy any of these guys out. If the rebuild goes swiftly we will have to contemplate what to do with Abdelkader is really the only sticky one for me. Nielsen has a back-diving contract that will help him get moved as his term comes down on it and he is a player that contending teams will like in a depth role.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Buying Helm out just means we can sign another stupid contract in FA, or we can take on someone else's stupid contract for something in a trade. I suppose if we're going to have a stupid contract no matter what, it might as well be for a guy like Helm (who I very much like otherwise).

I suppose I'm also a little bitter we're still paying Weiss for absolutely nothing and don't want to be bitter about paying Helm in 6 years, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad