Article: Busy Day in Rangerstown Yesterday

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Thank you for the article, Leslie.

I especially appreciate how you keep us up to date and comment on prospects like Ryan Gropp and Brad Morrison. Not many columnists get into Rangers prospect esoterica like you do.

I think you overstated Buch's impact last night. I think someone like Stromwall could have been put on the right side with Mika & Kreids last night, and had similar results. In all, I think Buch is along for the ride right now. Hopefully, with time, he becomes one of the drivers and not just a passenger.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I especially appreciate how you keep us up to date and comment on prospects like Ryan Gropp and Brad Morrison. Not many columnists get into Rangers prospect esoterica like you do.

I think you overstated Buch's impact last night. I think someone like Stromwall could have been put on the right side with Mika & Kreids last night, and had similar results. In all, I think Buch is along for the ride right now. Hopefully, with time, he becomes one of the drivers and not just a passenger.

Buch did a lot better with the puck than Stromwall did. Even if Buch doesn't look like Jagr protecting the puck now, he was still much better at it than Stromwall and was able to make some plays with it. Stromwall looked like an AHLer with potential to develop, Buchnevich looked like a NHLer with potential to develop

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
I did not like Stromwall's play last night. He looked overmatched along the boards particularly. He needs to get stronger.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Buch did a lot better with the puck than Stromwall did.

My intent wasn't to claim that Stromwall is Buch's equal. It was to say that Mike & Kreids did the work last night. Anyone could have been on that line and it still would have been tough to stop Mika & kreids. I simply picked Stromwall because he happens to be a right wing that was playing last night.

Mike & Kreids will open up space for their linemates, giving those linemates more opportunity to make plays. Despite his time with the puck, I don't think Buch made plays (though he was decent on the first PP). There is absolutely no question about that. Kovacs and Hrivik won't open up space for anyone at this point (though I liked Hrivik's play).

Even if Buch doesn't look like Jagr protecting the puck now, he was still much better at it than Stromwall and was able to make some plays with it.

C'mon man...don't put words into my mouth. I don't expect him to be Jagr. Jesus Christ. I just think he was a passenger and am hopeful he will improve with time. I want him to continue to play with guys like Kreids ... I just don't want his impact to be overstated so soon.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I did not like Stromwall's play last night. He looked overmatched along the boards particularly. He needs to get stronger.

Agreed, though it also might just be needing to adjust, not necessarily get stronger. All the speed and shiftiness he and Kovacs showed at Traverse was pretty much nullified at the higher level of competition and neither could hold onto the puck for long because someone was always in their face right away. Just a tough adjustment.

Buch looked much more comfortable dealing with the pace of the game and ability to control the puck against opposing players

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

I explained my Stromwall comment in another post. It was more of a random selection. I don't mean to imply Stromwall is better at all. Just wanted to point out that Kreids & Mika were unstoppable, no matter who you put them with.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
My intent wasn't to claim that Stromwall is Buch's equal. It was to say that Mike & Kreids did the work last night. Anyone could have been on that line and it still would have been tough to stop Mika & kreids. I simply picked Stromwall because he happens to be a right wing that was playing last night.

Mike & Kreids will open up space for their linemates, giving those linemates more opportunity to make plays. Despite his time with the puck, I don't think Buch made plays (though he was decent on the first PP). There is absolutely no question about that. Kovacs and Hrivik won't open up space for anyone at this point (though I liked Hrivik's play).

C'mon man...don't put words into my mouth. I don't expect him to be Jagr. Jesus Christ. I just think he was a passenger and am hopeful he will improve with time. I want him to continue to play with guys like Kreids ... I just don't want his impact to be overstated so soon.

I wasn't putting words in your mouth, just trying to provide some context to what I was trying to say. I also just think that Buch showed some things on his own that other players didn't. Yes, Zibs and Kreider did most of the work, but Buch's game in general was much better than just about every other forward not on that line. If he gets comfortable he'll start contributing a lot more

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC

Just because he was a passenger, does not mean that he was not contributing to the success of the line. His constant motion and play away from the puck provided Kreider and Zib the room they needed to operate. Even if the puck is not on your stick you can get in the way and mess plays up. The fact that he wasn't in the way, and was able to let them do their thing, is a positive.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Just because he was a passenger, does not mean that he was not contributing to the success of the line. His constant motion and play away from the puck provided Kreider and Zib the room they needed to operate. Even if the puck is not on your stick you can get in the way and mess plays up. The fact that he wasn't in the way, and was able to let them do their thing, is a positive.

I'm not out to hate the guy. I look forward to his continued improvement and success. Nothing would make me happier than for him to be a dominant force on this team. I just don't want his impact overstated so early, when he has not done too much. I mean LOOK, now we're complimenting him on not getting in the way, lol. Seriously?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
maybe a typo, or an odd semantic
re Matt Carey demotion listed as release from PTO-

like Oksanen and Joly, he has a AHL deal w HWP,
http://www.hartfordwolfpack.com/news/detail/pack-sign-forward-matt-carey

also interesting that he was demoted now, but the other experienced AHL F signee Phil McRae remains in Camp

you highlight Gropp as retained;
also '16 draftees and Junior players Fontaine and Day are still in camp -
has Fontaine skated? it was a curiosity that he wasn't at T.City

thanks for great work

Leslie Treff

Sep 18, 2005
New York
The guys that were released from PTO were released from their NHL obligations to the team. They previously had AHL SPCs, which are different. While on an NHL PTO, no other NHL team can negotiate with them. When a player is on an AHL contract, I believe that any NHL team can negotiate with and sign them.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Nice write up! Skapski was excellent last night as you mentioned, looked really poised and made some difficult saves. Easy guy to root for, hope he thrives in Hartford this year

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, an interesting article, @Leslie - I believe that Pirri will do well on that third line for sure.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
...When a player is on an AHL contract, I believe that any NHL team can negotiate with and sign them.

while this seems logical,
i don't know that i recall actual examples of an NHL team poaching an AHL player outright -

when Paille was courted by NYR, the AHL team gave him a courtesy release,

but i don't know how it would go with a young prospect (Oksanen, Joly) or,
if thrust into a critical role by attrition, a depth G like Malcolm

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm not out to hate the guy. I look forward to his continued improvement and success. Nothing would make me happier than for him to be a dominant force on this team. I just don't want his impact overstated so early, when he has not done too much. I mean LOOK, now we're complimenting him on not getting in the way, lol. Seriously?

So when you said that Stromwall would be as good as Butcher playing on that first line and got called out - you were simply misunderstood. But when another poster probably should've said that Buch created space for his linemates, skated with purpose and was making good reads to keep the puck in play and maintain possession (it is pretty clear to understand this is what he meant by not getting in a way), you get hang up on the words selection?

During summer discussions everyone preached patience and reasonable expectations from Buch in his first pro season here. Well, on Tuesday in his first pro game at MSG (and fully understanding the context and implications of that fact) he was not spoiling and contributing to the outstanding performance of the Rangers first line as a whole, even if he didn't get any points or showed highlight plays. To me, this is exceeding expectations on his transition to the NHL. What were / are your expectations?

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
So when you said that Stromwall would be as good as Butcher playing on that first line and got called out - you were simply misunderstood. But when another poster probably should've said that Buch created space for his linemates, skated with purpose and was making good reads to keep the puck in play and maintain possession (it is pretty clear to understand this is what he meant by not getting in a way), you get hang up on the words selection?

During summer discussions everyone preached patience and reasonable expectations from Buch in his first pro season here. Well, on Tuesday in his first pro game at MSG (and fully understanding the context and implications of that fact) he was not spoiling and contributing to the outstanding performance of the Rangers first line as a whole, even if he didn't get any points or showed highlight plays. To me, this is exceeding expectations on his transition to the NHL. What were / are your expectations?

This - the point of my post was that most of the time it takes a 5 man unit to have a successful shift in the o-zone. Players reading off of each other, moving without the puck, causing the defenders to move and opening lanes. The line of Zib-Kreider-Butch were the best line on the ice at doing that. You can discount Pavel's contribution to that success because he didn't have any points, but that is the same as saying the player screening the goalie but never touched the puck thus no goal or assist, did not help his team score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad