Arthur Staple Q&A on Eclipse Day (AKA Shedding of Darkness Over NYI Day)

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Agreed.

I think what makes this trickier- is I believe they will win the RFP- if he doesn't sign then - what's the reason?

If you are fighting for a playoff spot or out of it by the deadline you have to think of the future of the franchise.

Even at the deadline as a pure rental the Isles can get a top 6, #1 in a strong draft, and a top prospect or even two depending on the prospect.

Trading Tavares would be the smart move if he is not willing to resign by the deadline IF we have a new arena and are contending. The team has an interesting core of Barzal, Leddy, Ho Sang, Pulock, Beauvillier, etc. and we need to take advantage of that if he does not want to play.

Take what you can get and see what happens.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
i think they should fix the ice in broklyn and stay. the tourists arent going to belmont. they go to barcleys. you lose fans. driving to belmont is still terrible. wang cant build a hockey team and we are supposed tobthink wang and ledecky can build a arena..and have it turn a profit ....ledecky takes 3 years to hire a president this guys no genius. they are both out of their league and shouls of stuck to buying business they know something about.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Barclays took 2.5 years. 2-3 years is pretty typical. An arena ready to play in by the fall of 2020 is possible, I guess but very, very aggressive. I don't see it happening.

BC wasn't an easy build down on Flatbush Ave: My feeling is that is worst case scenario.
Best case - 2019/2020
Most probable - 2020/2021
Worst case - 2021-2022

I also think it depends on how quick they can be to start building from the announcement

SI

Feb 16, 2013
People expecting things to run smoothly regarding the arena need to take a look at the New York Islanders the last 20 years in getting a new arena.

Yeah I get it. I've been thru it

But this is not Hempstead and I believe there are many people that want to see this happen.

I optimistic this will happen

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
If they will be leaving then Barclays will not make any improvements. If anything, it will get worse.

Well, we don't know what the list of issues are. Obviously, there's some major ones. But, there could be things that could be done relatively cheaply and easily. Things that an owner might take it upon himself to invest in.

Last edited:

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
The one tweet where staple says "if there are no upgrades he'll leave" is quite telling to me. I wouldn't be surprised if staple and Tavares are putting this stuff out there as more leverage in the BSE negotiations. These negotiations have been so ridiculously stupid and public, I would not be surprised if some of this is Tavares and the Isles publically saying "fix some ***** or I'm getting tfo"

Local290

Jun 28, 2016
When will people realize that Staple knows nothing? When an Isles move is made he isn't even the one to usually break the news. He just confirms what Friedman, Dreger etc say.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
This is frustrating. If it really is the arena thing, which since Staple's word is god here when folks want it to be, then there is no reason to wait. There is no way the arena thing is going to be solved in a timely fashion. Half JT's contract will probably be over (if he were to sign an extension) before he'd even step foot in the new facility. Why would he wait for that?

So the most frustrating thing is the 5% that Snow won't trade him. Need to do it now why he still has some value. Let him talk to teams and discuss who he'd be willing to sign a long term extension with and deal him for the best offer. Staples at 65% and honestly that's about where I was. After this Q&A though i'm at about 35%. That's not enough for me to risk losing JT for nothing. Cash in your chips before you go bust....

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
i think they should fix the ice in broklyn and stay. the tourists arent going to belmont. they go to barcleys. you lose fans. driving to belmont is still terrible. wang cant build a hockey team and we are supposed tobthink wang and ledecky can build a arena..and have it turn a profit ....ledecky takes 3 years to hire a president this guys no genius. they are both out of their league and shouls of stuck to buying business they know something about.

Why do you keep bringing up Wang? He has nothing to do with the team anymore. Dude, just stop :shakehead

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Once they know Belmont is NOT going to happen (12/1 at the latest), they must act. If JT will never re-sign if they stay in Brooklyn and they find out they are staying in Brooklyn, they have to trade him. You cannot let him walk for nothing. This "5% chance of trading him and only if they are out of it" is nonsense. If they are out of it there must be a 100% chance of trading him. If they are fighting with 5 teams for the last Wild Card, even then trading him should be higher than 5%.

What do you mean "12/1 at the latest." Since when is the Belmont FRP going to be finalized by 12/1?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
People expecting things to run smoothly regarding the arena need to take a look at the New York Islanders the last 20 years in getting a new arena.

Better shot now than with...

1. wang running the team.
2. Nassau with the ability to say no.

It's more like...People expecting the Isles to eventually become a Cup contender need to look at the New York Islanders the last 10 years under snow.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Wow staple does not seem confident. This year is gonna be very stressful between JT/Belmont. Personally, I'm very high on pulock beau barzal and ho sang. If we play the same style as 14-15 I think this team could surprise people this year. If I'm wrong it sounds like our franchise will be in a dark, dark place

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
this just seemed… off.

Agreed, which is why I suggested it may be planned for him to spill some info to influence BSE negotiations. If fans start putting pressure on Barclays if they fear Tavares is leaving, that might impact the negotiations.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Wang has alot to do with the team. hes one of the owners and the only owner who gets involved with the hockey end of things.

He's a minority owner which means he has no control. And unless you have proof that he's the one involved in the hockey side of things, you're talking out of your backside.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Wang has alot to do with the team. hes one of the owners and the only owner who gets involved with the hockey end of things.

He removed himself from the hockey end of things a long time ago. Who knows, if he still was maybe he could get JT to sign the extension like he did with DP. Thing is he no longer has relationships with the players like that anymore.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Agreed, which is why I suggested it may be planned for him to spill some info to influence BSE negotiations. If fans start putting pressure on Barclays if they fear Tavares is leaving, that might impact the negotiations.

Which, if true, means that things are not going well for Ledecky & Malkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->