Arthur Staple Q&A on Eclipse Day (AKA Shedding of Darkness Over NYI Day)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
4 years?

The deadline to submit is 9/15.

The coliseum referendum took 2 months to choose a winner - say on a similar time frame - an announcement could be made by 12/1.

At that point construction could begin in a couple months say by Feb 1st

Prudential took 22 months to g t built - Edmonton arena was built in 18 mos.

2019/2020 is very realistic start that is two more seasons at BC.

Lawsuits.

There are definitely people who have no interest in the Islanders, and will likely try and lawyer up to stop them from coming.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
4 years?

The deadline to submit is 9/15.

The coliseum referendum took 2 months to choose a winner - say on a similar time frame - an announcement could be made by 12/1.

At that point construction could begin in a couple months say by Feb 1st

Prudential took 22 months to g t built - Edmonton arena was built in 18 mos.

2019/2020 is very realistic start that is two more seasons at BC.

There is no way shovels will be in the ground by 2/1/18. And if it is part of a larger development we're looking at 2.5 years MINIMUM. Most likely three. The 2021-2022 season would be the earliest they'd play at a new arena in Belmont.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Is the travel really that bad compared to other teams?

Not every Professional athlete lives in the same city they play in.

I wrote not too long ago that I believe the ice is the biggest issue.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
been telling you guys this for a month. you dont think TAvares got wind hes surrounded by losers? forget the arena. thats like saying your leaving your ex cause she drinks to much but the real reason you cant say is she put on 80 pounds. Trade him now no atena is comming and if it is he will leave anyway. certainly no cup run is comming with or without him.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Let me try to clear it up for you. I'm willing to bet that if the Isles commit to remain at Barclays long term L&M will put the team up for sale or move the team out of market. This probably was communicated to Tavares and he isn't looking to go through more franchise instability and upheaval.

This theory is one that *feels* true.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The most worrisome Staple tweet is that he believes JT will wait until the season is over. If it's really about Belmont, that will be decided months before the end of the season.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Anyway, if he re-signs, JT will have to play at Barclays for at least another 4 seasons. I was just questioning why make such a big deal about a new building when you'll be playing at the old one for half of your contract.

Well, that's still half the contract. Plus, there might be things that could be done at Barclays in the interim that could make the experience better for the players.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
So Staple is full of crap then?
likely Tavares already told them he doesnt plan on resigning. they kept hamonic trade request quiet for a little bit. isles can take offers from other teams for tavares without telling them he wants out after this year. my guess is every team has already put offers in for tavares since july.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Not sure why people acted like it was set in stone that he'd re-sign in the first place. The team doesn't exactly scream "contender" at this point and they haven't proved that they're going to be one anytime soon and JT is entering his prime. I'd leave too if I were him.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If you could choose only one: re-sign JT or get a new arena at Belmont, which would you choose?

Belmont. That's a no-brainer.

The kind of project the Isles could have here will result in the long term stability and income sources this franchise never had. The only reason the franchise was remotely viable is because they are on an allowance from their landlord now, something the landlord is likely looking to do away with or reduce payments on. That plus the cable deal (which ends in 14 years) are the only sources of revenue for the team.

As much as JT is the face of the franchise he is not forever. This arena will be here long after Tavares stops playing.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The most worrisome Staple tweet is that he believes JT will wait until the season is over. If it's really about Belmont, that will be decided months before the end of the season.

He didn't say that

Interpreting these tweets are tricky, but Staple's opinion is that it if is not done by the end of the season he'll be gone July 1.

I think the 65% chance are the odds he gives on a deal during the season.

I think once the winter comes and Isles win RFP - that should be when things get hammered out.

Staple also referred to the contract being more expensive

Could be a reason why de Haan did not get extended right now - possibly looking to see what it will take to get A contract done with JT.
Before inking 44 to an extension.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Lawsuits.

There are definitely people who have no interest in the Islanders, and will likely try and lawyer up to stop them from coming.

Agreed - things could get messy there but if there aren't significant obstacles that can have arena done in time.

And if there are hurdles then 3 seasons of playing at BC.

But 4 seasons?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
He didn't say that

Interpreting these tweets are tricky, but Staple's opinion is that it if is not done by the end of the season he'll be gone July 1.

I think the 65% chance are the odds he gives on a deal during the season.

I think once the winter comes and Isles win RFP - that should be when things get hammered out.

Staple also referred to the contract being more expensive

Could be a reason why de Haan did not get extended right now - possibly looking to see what it will take to get A contract done with JT.
Before inking 44 to an extension.

This is what he said:

"do you think john tavares re-signs before the END of the season"

Staple: "no, i don't"

SI

Feb 16, 2013
There is no way shovels will be in the ground by 2/1/18. And if it is part of a larger development we're looking at 2.5 years MINIMUM. Most likely three. The 2021-2022 season would be the earliest they'd play at a new arena in Belmont.

The arena could be up before other plans are completed.

30 months to build an arena?
Using the other arenas as a potential to gauge how long it would take- 18-24 mos.

If there are hurdles, then sure I can see a delay happening before shovels hit the ground - say to the fall 2018, but even then 24 months the arena would be ready to play by fall 2020.

I also see the league and others getting behind this once the smoke clears.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
This is what he said:

Then why isn't his chances 0.

I think he misinterpreted the question - how I understood his answer to the question - was if a deal is not done by the end of the season - he's gone.

No Stamkos situation - here

bauerpower

Jul 30, 2005
Southern Alberta

ANNNND last but not least:

Once they know Belmont is NOT going to happen (12/1 at the latest), they must act. If JT will never re-sign if they stay in Brooklyn and they find out they are staying in Brooklyn, they have to trade him. You cannot let him walk for nothing. This "5% chance of trading him and only if they are out of it" is nonsense. If they are out of it there must be a 100% chance of trading him. If they are fighting with 5 teams for the last Wild Card, even then trading him should be higher than 5%.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
This is what he said:

What disturbed me - was he gave it a very little chance of a trade if he won't sign by the deadline.

Garth is going to take this to the end - July 1st. And the Isles will risk having 91 walk away for nothing.

Depending on the standings -
By the deadline - if JT deal is not done, Isles win RFP, and Isles are fighting for an 8th spot - I trade him to the highest bidder.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Then why isn't his chances 0.

I think he misinterpreted the question - how I understood his answer to the question - was if a deal is not done by the end of the season - he's gone.

No Stamkos situation - here

I took it that JT is going to wait until after the season is over to make his decision. And the Isles will have their chance from then until July 1 (65% chance according to Staple). If he's not signed by July 1, he'll walk.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The arena could be up before other plans are completed.

30 months to build an arena?
Using the other arenas as a potential to gauge how long it would take- 18-24 mos.

If there are hurdles, then sure I can see a delay happening before shovels hit the ground - say to the fall 2018, but even then 24 months the arena would be ready to play by fall 2020.

I also see the league and others getting behind this once the smoke clears.

Barclays took 2.5 years. 2-3 years is pretty typical. An arena ready to play in by the fall of 2020 is possible, I guess but very, very aggressive. I don't see it happening.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Once they know Belmont is NOT going to happen (12/1 at the latest), they must act. If JT will never re-sign if they stay in Brooklyn and they find out they are staying in Brooklyn, they have to trade him. You cannot let him walk for nothing. This "5% chance of trading him and only if they are out of it" is nonsense. If they are out of it there must be a 100% chance of trading him. If they are fighting with 5 teams for the last Wild Card, even then trading him should be higher than 5%.

Agreed.

I think what makes this trickier- is I believe they will win the RFP- if he doesn't sign then - what's the reason?

If you are fighting for a playoff spot or out of it by the deadline you have to think of the future of the franchise.

Even at the deadline as a pure rental the Isles can get a top 6, #1 in a strong draft, and a top prospect or even two depending on the prospect.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
People expecting things to run smoothly regarding the arena need to take a look at the New York Islanders the last 20 years in getting a new arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad