Rumor: Arthur Staple: Isles Remain Front-Runner for Tavares | Other teams still in mix

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Bellows, Pulock, both 1st round picks. Maybe a roster forward - Lee, Eberle, Nelson. Comparing it to the rumored price to Vegas at the deadline, I think we can put something together to entice Ottawa.

I think a big part of Vegas' return was taking Ryan's whole contract though, if you include Ladd they'd be fairly close to a wash.

Nelson + Pulock + picks might be workable for EK alone

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
No, no he didnt. However this does seem logical. There are ways to alleviate cap and im sure the Leafs are aware of them. Guys like Kadri, Gardiner can easily be moved and in 2 years Marleau is off the books. Doesnt seem impossible to fit him in. Just need to find a way to make it work. Pipeline needs to have cheap alternatives to fill in the gaps. Marlies are proving this to be a viable option.

Only problem is that this doesnt address our need for defense
For a lil while I have been saying that a dream off season is getting J.T for 10 or less and landing Tanev for a 1st+ and it actually looks like a possibility. I have done the math and even going 1-2 mil high per yr on the kids its still doable.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Couple of things:

- You can live at the beach and never be harassed as opposed to a hockey hotbed like Toronto, Montreal etc.
- If Toffoli is moved (due a new contract after next season), Tavares would center Jeff Carter on his RW and probably Pearson on his left. Carter is still better than Toffoli.
- Kings are extremely high on Vilardi with all signs pointing to him being in the NHL this upcoming season. Can't bank on it, but this is a kid that could replace Toffoli's points by 2019-20.
- Kings have very stable ownership and a group of guys that have won before, headlined by Doughty, Kopitar and Quick. For a guy that hasn't won and has had to deal with a lot of off-ice garbage that has been out of his control, LA would appear to be pretty appealing.

Not saying the rumor of him wanting to come to LA is true but I can believe it and not only because I want to believe.

Some of those same things can be said about Toronto especially when it comes to line mates. You got Marner Nylander Marleau take your pick, plus the potential to play with with Matthews on the PP.

I'd suggest there is bettter supporting cast in Toronto certainly a younger one with the exception of Marleau

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
That's the second sentence in the article.

I know. I'm just re-iterating it because my partner and I have our own hockey talk radio show and we've a plethora of Islander related guests (Arthur Staple himself, Brian Compton of NHL.com, Andrew Gross of Newsday, Brendan Burke of MSG Network - play by play, Stan Fischler of MSG Network) and they've all said the same exact thing.

No one has anything right now, so none of this makes any sense. Even if it came out that the Islanders were the preferred destination, no one would know for sure because no one is leaking anything right now and from what I've heard, anyone who leaks anything from their end could lose their job.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
No worries...Lou always figures out ways to......DAMMIT!!!!
Uhhh Lou. We have a bit of problem with our capspace. Remember that rugged winger you brought on for $2.5MM? He is a bit of an anchor to our ability to sign up an elite center. How about you taking him off our hands?

Reactions: ToneDog

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We will see if the Isles trade his rights before July 1 for the right for a team to negotiate with him. I'm not sure how this report pinpointed the teams interested since he is still Isles property. The consequences would be tampering.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I know. I'm just re-iterating it because my partner and I have our own hockey talk radio show and we've a plethora of Islander related guests (Arthur Staple himself, Brian Compton of NHL.com, Andrew Gross of Newsday, Brendan Burke of MSG Network - play by play, Stan Fischler of MSG Network) and they've all said the same exact thing.

No one has anything right now, so none of this makes any sense. Even if it came out that the Islanders were the preferred destination, no one would know for sure because no one is leaking anything right now and from what I've heard, anyone who leaks anything from their end could lose their job.

Tavares leaks can't come from the Tavares camp, only the Islanders?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I think a big part of Vegas' return was taking Ryan's whole contract though, if you include Ladd they'd be fairly close to a wash.

Nelson + Pulock + picks might be workable for EK alone

If Nelson + Pulock + picks is enough then every team is going to be in on this.

If Im Ottawa that package doesn't even move the dial for me.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You strike me as the type who preordered a Stamkos Leafs jersey.

What if Tavares doesn’t want to go to Toronto? Do you try to kidnap him then?

I actually had him staying in Tampa until the deadline and when I did think he was leaving I thought Buffalo would back up the money truck because that ownership has been trying to make a splash for years.

If they make a legitimate effort and hr doesn't sign that's one thing.

But if Dubas doesn't make an effort to do this that's another.

Dubas needs to show guts

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If Nelson + Pulock + picks is enough then every team is going to be in on this.

If Im Ottawa that package doesn't even move the dial for me.

Pulock is good, and I'm assuming in this case it would be a lot of picks/prospects. Barzal is off the table obviously, and likely Leddy too, but everyone else I'd imagine could be a starting point. Although you're probably right and it'd more likely be a forward like Beauvillier as a starting point which changes things quite a bit

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Exactly, I heard Pat Brisson sings like a canary when asked about what's going on.

I think there is a leak somewhere. Brady said the Isles would trade JT's rights before July 1. Not exactly a source that makes these pronouncements. Also Lou's comments of the firings had no bearing on JT signing or not on the Island kind of stood out to me. All I know is JT is going to be paid big and long wherever he lands. So which ever team signs him, I hope they have a good captologist. There is going to be some fancy accounting with JT on the ledger barring it is a budget team with a lot of cap space.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Arthur Staple is very reliable when it comes to the Islanders, but even he himself and others surrounding the organization have all said that Lou has an absolute code of silence and is not leaking anything on their end. I've heard through sources that anyone caught leaking anything could lose their job.

He's not leaking anything from the Islanders, he's either being used by Tavares' camp to have it out there that LA and Toronto are his preferred spots if something can't be worked out with the Islanders, or is speculating as much on his own.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
For a lil while I have been saying that a dream off season is getting J.T for 10 or less and landing Tanev for a 1st+ and it actually looks like a possibility. I have done the math and even going 1-2 mil high per yr on the kids its still doable.

At the end of the day, having a guy like Tavares isnt signing dead money. Hes a guy that IF he continues to contribute as he has recently he will maintain positive value.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Have there been any reliable sources floating Toronto as a possibility? I’m inclined to assume any rumors of Tavares to Toronto are purely exploitative, given that’s a huge hockey crazy market, which would happen to love to have Tavares.
Gonna get get a lot of views for your site floating that idea.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Exactly, I heard Pat Brisson sings like a canary when asked about what's going on.

First of all, Brisson definitely selectively leaks stuff. But he's not the only person in Tavares' camp. And its not like we have a lot of information either.

Regarding potential moves, other teams are leaky or comment as "league executives".

My point is also that Lou's cone of silence only extends around the organization. Its not like their were no rumours when he was GM in NJ or TO.

He's another one who keeps it very close to the vest, as the term was used by some of them. So I doubt anything would be leaked from the Islanders or Tavares.

This is just what I've been told by them.

Its not like there's a lot of meat in the article. Islanders are front-runners, Toronto and LA are believed to be preferred destinations and the list of teams that have not-so-subtly hinted they'll pursue him will, in fact, pursue him.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Some of those same things can be said about Toronto especially when it comes to line mates. You got Marner Nylander Marleau take your pick, plus the potential to play with with Matthews on the PP.

I'd suggest there is bettter supporting cast in Toronto certainly a younger one with the exception of Marleau

Oh, I'm not discounting Toronto in any way but rather responding to the "Why LA?" responses.

LA has Manhattan Beach and a relatively stress-free lifestyle. If he wants that, Toronto can't come close to matching that aspect.

Young talent? Toronto has it all over LA, no doubt.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Have there been any reliable sources floating Toronto as a possibility? I’m inclined to assume any rumors of Tavares to Toronto are purely exploitative, given that’s a huge hockey crazy market, which would happen to love to have Tavares.
Gonna get get a lot of views for your site floating that idea.

Especially when your new job is behind a paywall.

How interesting for him to tweet this on the same day he reports Toronto as a "long rumored destination".

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
We will see if the Isles trade his rights before July 1 for the right for a team to negotiate with him. I'm not sure how this report pinpointed the teams interested since he is still Isles property. The consequences would be tampering.

If they're not careful they might lose ANOTHER 1st after the Lupul fiasco.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Especially when your new job is behind a paywall.

How interesting for him to tweet this on the same day he reports Toronto as a "long rumored destination".

Yeah the 40% off subscription is somewhat off putting. Makes one question is the report to drive subscribers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad