Rumor: Arthur Staple: Isles Remain Front-Runner for Tavares | Other teams still in mix

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
People are missing the bigger story in this article....ya, as a Leafs fan i love the idea of him coming here, but the part of the story that's intriguing to me is " the Islanders are set to make some big moves to show Tavares they are serious about winning" quote.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Kings can move Toffoli and our 1st to move up to a top 5 pick in the draft. Draft Tkachuk. If cap goes up to 80 mil we’d then have about 13 mil in cap. Then next season to make room for Doughtys contract we move Phaneuf or Martinez and insert Clague(should be NHL ready next year). That saves us another 4-5 mil and gets us under the cap easily.

Tkachuk-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Tavares-Carter
Kempe-Vilardi-Lewis
Clifford-Iafallo-Thompson/Brodzinski

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Who said he wanted to play in a lower pressure environment? That's what sounds like bs.

Lower pressure environment means east coast..it's sea level so much lower pressure.....

Places like Colorado/ Calgary etc etc are at higher elevations...so higher pressure

;)

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
People are missing the bigger story in this article....ya, as a Leafs fan i love the idea of him coming here, but the part of the story that's intriguing to me is " the Islanders are set to make some big moves to show Tavares they are serious about winning" quote.

I'm trying to think of big names that are reportedly available and all I can think of is Grubauer and Pacioretty that might make sense for the Isles. Lou's gotta be working on something tricky behind the scenes right now

Reactions: Liferleafer

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

He basically says its unlikely for the leafs and kings to sign him because of cap space.

That isn't at all in the tweet or article lol

However, it does say this later in the article:

"The Islanders remain the front-runner and there are moves coming that are sure to impress Tavares and his desire to win on the Island. But the days are getting short towards a great unknown."

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Clearly says the Leafs can afford him and are the wild card.

"They could afford him at $11mil per now, but Matthews and Marner need new deals after this coming season..."

He says the leafs have the capspace now, but after matthews and marner sign new contract they likely wont have the capspace anymore.

Reactions: third man in

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
"They could afford him at $11mil per now, but Matthews and Marner need new deals after this coming season..."

He says the leafs have the capspace now, but after matthews and marner sign new contract they likely wont have the capspace anymore.
No worries...Lou always figures out ways to......DAMMIT!!!!

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The more interesting part of article is this:

The Islanders remain the front-runner and there are moves coming that are sure to impress Tavares and his desire to win on the Island. But the days are getting short towards a great unknown.

and

Two league executives told The Athletic that Lamoriello is willing to move any of his assets to make the Islanders better right away.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
la's issue is depth. signing tavares would eliminate any chance of getting depth

They can't roll Vegas-style depth but, assuming Toffoli is moved, they have a Top 9 of:

Kopitar/Tavares/Carter/Brown/Pearson/Kempe/Iafallo/Lewis/Vilardi.

Defense loses Martinez, in theory. That stings more but that is what's fun about having Doughty and Quick: you have a stud d-man that can play 30 minutes and a goalie that can bail you out.

Doughty/Muzzin/Forbort/Phaneuf/Young guys.

Thing is the Kings don't have great depth to begin with. Are they just depth away from contending or do they have a better chance if they add a legit stud that elevates those around him?

The answer is the latter.

Reactions: Butsy Erickson

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm trying to think of big names that are reportedly available and all I can think of is Grubauer and Pacioretty that might make sense for the Isles. Lou's gotta be working on something tricky behind the scenes right now

Thinking out loud, what about something involving Karlsson + Ryan for Ladd + Futures.

If you're looking to make a splash, might as well jump in the biggest pool. If that analogy makes any sense.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
But If I am Tavares and I'm going to LA I want to play WITH Toffoli and Pearson but especially Toffoli

They wouldn't need to trade Toffoli or Pearson, if Tavares signs in LA Carter is expendable. Carter's 5 mil and whatever the cap increases to will give them more than enough. They get assets back in the Carter trade so they can dump Phaneuf next year to deal with Doughty. Or they can move the aforementioned players, whatever, point is that cap isn't the issue and options are available.

That being said....don't see it happening.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Thinking out loud, what about something involving Karlsson + Ryan for Ladd + Futures.

If you're looking to make a splash, might as well jump in the biggest pool. If that analogy makes any sense.

Better be a whooooole lot of futures but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Lou is kicking tires.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto

No, no he didnt. However this does seem logical. There are ways to alleviate cap and im sure the Leafs are aware of them. Guys like Kadri, Gardiner can easily be moved and in 2 years Marleau is off the books. Doesnt seem impossible to fit him in. Just need to find a way to make it work. Pipeline needs to have cheap alternatives to fill in the gaps. Marlies are proving this to be a viable option.

Only problem is that this doesnt address our need for defense

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Better be a whooooole lot of futures but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Lou is kicking tires.

Bellows, Pulock, both 1st round picks. Maybe a roster forward - Lee, Eberle, Nelson. Comparing it to the rumored price to Vegas at the deadline, I think we can put something together to entice Ottawa.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Arthur Staple is very reliable when it comes to the Islanders, but even he himself and others surrounding the organization have all said that Lou has an absolute code of silence and is not leaking anything on their end. I've heard through sources that anyone caught leaking anything could lose their job.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Arthur Staple is very reliable when it comes to the Islanders, but even he himself and others surrounding the organization have all said that Lou has an absolute code of silence and is not leaking anything on their end. I've heard through sources that anyone caught leaking anything could lose their job.

That's the second sentence in the article.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
That isn't at all in the tweet or article lol

However, it does say this later in the article:

"The Islanders remain the front-runner and there are moves coming that are sure to impress Tavares and his desire to win on the Island. But the days are getting short towards a great unknown."

John T needs a 8 year deal..

It's fine Lou is there now,. it's stable..things are goona change Lou will straighten up that mess ok,...but Lou will be 76 years young in 4 months time...will he be there for the full 8 years of John's new deal? Even 4 or 5 years? That would be a thought that crosses my mind if i was John T ..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad