Rumor: Arthur Staple: Isles Remain Front-Runner for Tavares | Other teams still in mix

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Interesting, if true.

I still think there's a chance he stays with the Islanders. Everyone's acting like it's a done deal that he hits the market, but I don't think that bridge has burned down just yet.

If he does walk, then I think San Jose is the best fit on paper. They're a really good team, and Tavares could push them over the top. I don't really know why he would be thinking LA, but I have no reason to say it doesn't work.

Dark horses are Vegas, St. Louis, and Montreal. Not sure how Tavares views any of those three teams, but they each seem like they might be ready with a blank check on the 1st.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If the Leafs don't make a pitch Dubas needs to go because he's not doing his job
If the Leafs made a pitch to Stamkos when they were coming off a season when they finished last place overall, I'm sure they will do the same thing with Tavares after having back to back seasons of making the playoffs and coming off a franchise record for wins and points.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Interesting, if true.

I still think there's a chance he stays with the Islanders. Everyone's acting like it's a done deal that he hits the market, but I don't think that bridge has burned down just yet.

If he does walk, then I think San Jose is the best fit on paper. They're a really good team, and Tavares could push them over the top. I don't really know why he would be thinking LA, but I have no reason to say it doesn't work.

Dark horses are Vegas, St. Louis, and Montreal. Not sure how Tavares views any of those three teams, but they each seem like they might be ready with a blank check on the 1st.
He likely stays but it would be really surprising if he came this far and doesn't explore the market.

Reactions: iSophagus

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
How do you guys not know who Arthur Staple is? Probably the best NYI source you'll get. Bob Mackenzie has re-tweeted him quite a bit over the years too.
No one gave a shit about Isles news until JT was nearing free agency. Once he signs everyone will stop giving a shit again.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yes, Staple was the ONLY credible NYI source during Snow's tenure as GM. Snow isn't in charge anymore.

Unless you think Snow was Staple's source (possible) then it's not like Snow's sources would be gone, there are still leaks. It's actually pretty damn impressive if the information is accurate, because not a lot gets out under Lou.

My opinion, for all that it is is worth, is that the information has some accuracy to it. I think Staple is about as reliable as Bob Mackenzie if we're talking Isles.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Unless you think Snow was Staple's source (possible) then it's not like Snow's sources would be gone, there are still leaks. It's actually pretty damn impressive if the information is accurate, because not a lot gets out under Lou.

My opinion, for all that it is is worth, is that the information has some accuracy to it. I think Staple is about as reliable as Bob Mackenzie if we're talking Isles.

I'd read the entire article before jumping for joy.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
But If I am Tavares and I'm going to LA I want to play WITH Toffoli and Pearson but especially Toffoli

Couple of things:

- You can live at the beach and never be harassed as opposed to a hockey hotbed like Toronto, Montreal etc.
- If Toffoli is moved (due a new contract after next season), Tavares would center Jeff Carter on his RW and probably Pearson on his left. Carter is still better than Toffoli.
- Kings are extremely high on Vilardi with all signs pointing to him being in the NHL this upcoming season. Can't bank on it, but this is a kid that could replace Toffoli's points by 2019-20.
- Kings have very stable ownership and a group of guys that have won before, headlined by Doughty, Kopitar and Quick. For a guy that hasn't won and has had to deal with a lot of off-ice garbage that has been out of his control, LA would appear to be pretty appealing.

Not saying the rumor of him wanting to come to LA is true but I can believe it and not only because I want to believe.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Well, the Leafs are looking for a 3rd line center.

I'm sure Tavares would do decently there

:sarcasm:

Reactions: ToneDog

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Couple of things:

- You can live at the beach and never be harassed as opposed to a hockey hotbed like Toronto, Montreal etc.
- If Toffoli is moved (due a new contract after next season), Tavares would center Jeff Carter on his RW and probably Pearson on his left. Carter is still better than Toffoli.
- Kings are extremely high on Vilardi with all signs pointing to him being in the NHL this upcoming season. Can't bank on it, but this is a kid that could replace Toffoli's points by 2019-20.
- Kings have very stable ownership and a group of guys that have won before, headlined by Doughty, Kopitar and Quick. For a guy that hasn't won and has had to deal with a lot of off-ice garbage that has been out of his control, LA would appear to be pretty appealing.

Not saying the rumor of him wanting to come to LA is true but I can believe it and not only because I want to believe.
la's issue is depth. signing tavares would eliminate any chance of getting depth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->