Arthur Kaliyev vs Alex Galchenyuk

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Trying to compare these two prospects who share some similarities as far as development path goes. As of right now, Kaliyev is being seen as a top 15-top 10 prospect and as we know by now, Galchenyuk went 3rd overall and was seen as a top 5 pick his whole draft year. Thing is I can't remember as much the Galchenyuk hype from his draft year and the potential he was seen as having. How would you compare the two prospects in terms of skills, hype, and NHL potential?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
You cant remember the Galchenyuk hype because he was sidelined his entire draft year. I think he was out with a knee injury? Not positive. But he didnt play much if at all in his draft season, and still went 3rd.

AuVetShkine

Aug 2, 2018
Not sure either why you are using Galchenyuk for a benchmark with Kaliyev. If they had similarities in their development so far, the hype on their draft year will not be comparable. As Bigdog pointed out, Galchenyuk played only 2 games in his draft year. The hype was from his first year with Sarnia, with 83 pts in 68 GP.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You cant remember the Galchenyuk hype because he was sidelined his entire draft year. I think he was out with a knee injury? Not positive. But he didnt play much if at all in his draft season, and still went 3rd.

Galchenyuk went 3rd because of two things :
- Knee injury
- It was an awful draft in the first place

Reactions: STLBLUES44

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not sure either why you are using Galchenyuk for a benchmark with Kaliyev. If they had similarities in their development so far, the hype on their draft year will not be comparable. As Bigdog pointed out, Galchenyuk played only 2 games in his draft year. The hype was from his first year with Sarnia, with 83 pts in 68 GP.
They are the last two 30 goals scorer as rookies in the OHL, they both are naturalized russian/belorussians, they both played in the US before the OHL, they are both the same size, and they are both elite shooters.

Thats where the comparison stops though, Galchenyuk is as good a shooter as Kaliyev, but is the much better play driver, and passer.

This doesn't mean that Kaliyev won't end up as the better player of the two, because Montreal has seriously f***ed up Galchenyuk.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

AuVetShkine

Aug 2, 2018
Yes. What I meant is that comparison cannot go much further than their D-1 year, there is nothing much to say about Galchenyuk's draft year. I guess I should have said ; EVEN if they had. Blame my bad English.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Trying to compare these two prospects who share some similarities as far as development path goes. As of right now, Kaliyev is being seen as a top 15-top 10 prospect and as we know by now, Galchenyuk went 3rd overall and was seen as a top 5 pick his whole draft year. Thing is I can't remember as much the Galchenyuk hype from his draft year and the potential he was seen as having. How would you compare the two prospects in terms of skills, hype, and NHL potential?

I wouldn't......

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
By
They are the last two 30 goals scorer as rookies in the OHL, they both are naturalized russian/belorussians, they both played in the US before the OHL, they are both the same size, and they are both elite shooters.

Thats where the comparison stops though, Galchenyuk is as good a shooter as Kaliyev, but is the much better play driver, and passer.

This doesn't mean that Kaliyev won't end up as the better player of the two, because Montreal has seriously ****ed up Galchenyuk.

These are the similarities I meant but I agree with what you said , Kaliyev might need to play with an elite center. Galchenyuk would create more plays in the OHL, in the NHL though he has not developed as expected. Also Galchenyuk had much better stats in US U16 before coming to the OHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->