Confirmed with Link: Artemi Panarin, Tyler Motte, 6th (17) to Columbus for Saad, Forsberg, 5th (18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Panarin is better than Saad, and I like Saad a lot, but its not really that close. Much more dynamic player. Any loss in two way play will be made up by his increase in production, especially on the PP. And Panarin can still improve, whereas Saad has stagnated.

This seems like a great deal - only downside is age and contract length. Chicago is doing this trade for cost certainty because they are in cap hell.

He's one year older than Saad... are people really making a big deal out of a 1 year difference?

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
The problem has and always will be scoring enough goals, Panarin brings that, also, if the balckhawks are trading their young star bc they think they wont be able to resign him, that should give you all the information you need on who won this trade. We got the better player.

I believe the situation is that Chicago has a number of valuable players with contracts to resign at the same time. So that factors in, as well as their overall cap situation.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Chicago board has a few comments talking about how Saad will improve the physicality of the Hawks.

Oh my.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Trying to replicate what Chicago does won't go well, if that's what we're trying to do. I am not saying Panarin will be bad here by any means, and if the goal of the trade is to signal a change in team style then none of this matters. But if Panarin was brought in to be a piece of the puzzle to what has already been constructed, I don't see the fit.

I'm just struggling to understand your concern. I don't see how this deal means CBJ is trying to replicate Chicago. And it's more like a recipe than a puzzle. You need various flavor profiles and textures to complete the dish. I don't see Panarin's skill-set somehow making him a fish out of water on the Jackets' roster.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Yes Saad was a two way player... but how quickly we forget Torts was about to scratch him for lazy defensive efforts and half-assed play. I don't think his heart was ever fully in Columbus as someone else mentioned earlier.

That comment on how Bowman thought the Preds pushed them around in the playoffs was true, but Saad is going to solve that? I've rarely seen Saad give more than a half-hearted love tap.

I'm happy with the trade. Saad is what he is. A very good complimentary piece on a good team, aka his place with the Hawks. He's not ever going to be THE guy on offense. Panarin very well could be for us.

We needed a skilled scorer, and we got one of the better ones in the league. The UFA part is mildly concerning, but I'll kick that can down the road for now and just be excited for next year. Just my $.02

also, good for Anton. It was clear he was 3rd on the depth chart in goal. He replaces Darling in Chicago and will get a real chance to stick in the NHL. I'll never forget his amazing run in the Calder championship run. Well deserved.

Motte is interesting. He was great at Michigan and decent in Rockford. Not sure how close they were but Werenski is probably pretty pumped to have him.

Last edited:

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Still not sure what to think about the Saad/Panarin trade.
I hope Panarin scores 80pts and we make long playoff run...but he will be expensive to keep in 2 years.
So is the window wide open now, or was this move too soon?

And part of me thinks any conjecture is too early - there may be more moves over the next few days that make this trade come more into focus. This trade did little to change the assets that might be available to obtain another 1C (Duchene, etc... although personally not a Duchene fan) - Saad was not a big part of that equation (Murray, etc...). I just don't think JK is done, but I have nothing of substance (other than my gut) to support that thought.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm just struggling to understand your concern. I don't see how this deal means CBJ is trying to replicate Chicago. And it's more like a recipe than a puzzle. You need various flavor profiles and textures to complete the dish. I don't see Panarin's skill-set somehow making him a fish out of water on the Jackets' roster.

Not his skill set, but the way he plays. Torts absolutely loathed Gaborik for being a perimeter player (idk if you watched the 24/7 series, but Torts repeatedly chewed Gaborik to get involved in the play) and I see the same type of player in Panarin. Now, Gaborik did have great success under Torts and I hope that's the case here. But I am unsure.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
Always great with some good hockey trades before a new season, brings an extra flare to it. Best wishes to Saad, welcome Panarin!!

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Saad was considerably underwhelming, especially in the playoffs. I'm not sure how Panarin will work but it seems to be an upgrade in the scoring department. The Jackets have some bigger, more physical players for linemates. They just need someone to get them the puck.

Losing Forsberg is interesting, since it puts Matiss Kivlenieks as the starter in Cleveland. But they can easily sign a free agent minor league veteran to mentor him. It's a good opportunity for Forsberg and he wasn't likely to see NHL playing time in Columbus. Hopefully he can do well in Chicago. He could be a real undervalued part of this trade.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not his skill set, but the way he plays. Torts absolutely loathed Gaborik for being a perimeter player (idk if you watched the 24/7 series, but Torts repeatedly chewed Gaborik to get involved in the play) and I see the same type of player in Panarin. Now, Gaborik did have great success under Torts and I hope that's the case here. But I am unsure.

Gotcha. Yes, Torts requires a certain level of engagement. Trouble is, he wasn't getting it from Saad, who was supposedly a kind of player for whom that shouldn't have been an issue. We'll see what happens with Panarin.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Yes Saad was a two way player... but how quickly we forget Torts was about to scratch him for lazy defensive efforts and half-assed play. I don't think his heart was ever fully in Columbus as someone else mentioned earlier.

Exactly. I can't recall Saad laying many hits either.

I think what I am learning is if you are tall and American you are a "two-way player" and if you are short and Russian you are a "perimeter player".

I'm not going to psychoanalyze anyone, but I'd suspect some may have a natural preference (if all things are equal) to have a team full of Brandons instead of a team full of Artemis. Maybe that'd be a better "fit".

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Suggesting that Panarin is soft doesn't really matter to me if the guy can score goals. We have plenty of hard nosed tough players, and I never considered Saad a hard nosed player.

The age difference doesn't really bother me either. We have plenty of young guys on the team and plenty of good prospects in the system. A little more "age" might be a good thing.

I sort of always had a soft spot for Forsberg so I am sorry to see him go. Will suck if he develops into an NHL starter and Korpi flounders.

Will be fun to see how this trade plays out, but on paper this doesn't hurt us, and may even be a boon.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Didn't expect this one.

I think Saad is a ~70 point forward if he's deployed on the power play - he got limited PP time here. He's a beast at even-strength and in driving possession.

I understand the thought though - we need some high-powered offensive skill and Panarin brings that more than Saad ever could. A little uncertainty that he goes UFA in '19 with Bob (and Werenski goes RFA that summer). Still, it's a chance you got to take, I think.

Forsberg - I've been saying he needed moved. No longer waivers-exempt and the team has picked Korpisalo as the backup/goalie of the future perhaps. Forsberg got crunched out because of his waivers status and we had to trade back a round (lose 5th next year, gain 6th this year) to get rid of him - I don't think Motte will amount to anything.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I think this is an awesome deal for you guys. Saad was obviously a solid player, but Panarin is on another level offensively. Congrats!

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Hawks fan coming in peace. I think this is a win-win trade.

The Hawks get cost certainty, and a better two way guy to help ease the loss of Hossa, plus he is a known quantity that fits the system/coaches/locker room. They also get a young goalie to add depth, something the franchise was lacking.

Jackets get the more creative offensive player. He is not a product of Kane. He has a great one timer, is a very good passer, and is a magician with the puck. He can lose physical battles, but he is also adept at controlling the puck in space. Defensive commitment/awareness wanes at times, but when he tries he is not a black hole. One thing I felt the Jackets lacked was a game-breaking offensive talent, and Panarin can be that. You guys have enough two way guys like Saad. Motte is a undersized, but has good speed, is a strong two-way guy that should be an effective bottom six player and PK guy that can also chip in offensively. He made the opening night roster and Q gave him meaningful minutes, but his play fell off after an ankle injury and was demoted back to the minors.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Suggesting that Panarin is soft doesn't really matter to me if the guy can score goals. We have plenty of hard nosed tough players, and I never considered Saad a hard nosed player.

The age difference doesn't really bother me either. We have plenty of young guys on the team and plenty of good prospects in the system. A little more "age" might be a good thing.

I sort of always had a soft spot for Forsberg so I am sorry to see him go. Will suck if he develops into an NHL starter and Korpi flounders.

Will be fun to see how this trade plays out, but on paper this doesn't hurt us, and may even be a boon.

Yep on that first bolded part, and the age difference shouldn't bother anyone considering they are only 362 days apart. :laugh:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Panarin is better than Saad, and I like Saad a lot, but its not really that close. Much more dynamic player. Any loss in two way play will be made up by his increase in production, especially on the PP. And Panarin can still improve, whereas Saad has stagnated.

This seems like a great deal - only downside is age and contract length. Chicago is doing this trade for cost certainty because they are in cap hell.

Kind of a pet peeve of mine. The term "better" is subjective. People tend to emphasize what they believe are the most valuable traits and, at that point, they declare that something is better. For example "Chocolate ice-cream is better than Vanilla".

When you consider all three zones and special teams, it's actually a matter for debate which player is "better". When you consider the needs of a team certain traits are needed more than others from a team perspective.

I would recommend that we try and be more precise and not make such sweeping declarations.

To me what could be the best (notice that the emphasis points out it's subjective) part of this deal is that Forsberg has moved on. I know that it is a matter for debate and that there will be disagreement with my position.

I think we've given our team a different look and I think it's a good one. I'm more curious to see how the top six gets filled out now and how things mesh. This could be a very significant change and time will tell if that change is a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad