Confirmed with Link: Artemi Panarin, Tyler Motte, 6th (17) to Columbus for Saad, Forsberg, 5th (18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wings fan coming in peace.

Kudos! While Panarin and Saad both present unique aspects on offense, I firmly believe you got the more creative player, with a higher ceiling. Columbus could be a very scary opponent in the near future.

Honestly, you guys strike me as being in the "high talent, but learning to win in the playoffs" phase. Hopefully you can take things to the next level, and help end the Pittsburgh era.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Panarin is better than Saad, and I like Saad a lot, but its not really that close. Much more dynamic player. Any loss in two way play will be made up by his increase in production, especially on the PP. And Panarin can still improve, whereas Saad has stagnated.

This seems like a great deal - only downside is age and contract length. Chicago is doing this trade for cost certainty because they are in cap hell.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Who knows how the PP units shake out, but the 2nd unit sucked the entire season with Saad as a main contributor.

Put Panarin on the left wall on the second unit. That alone makes it much more dangerous.

Werenski-Wennberg, Jones-Panarin should be the PP engines.

Saad doesn't have all that different of a skillset from Foligno or Anderson. Somewhat similar to Jenner and Dubinsky too. And was invisible far too often. And I really like the player. I believe I mentioned in the other thread months ago I wondered if Saad + Murray could get us that big center.

Panarin is a dangerous element that can really pressure the defense in transition on any given shift. Any time he has the puck on his stick, something dangerous can happen. Have we ever really had a player like that?

I'd rather have Saad than Foligno, Jenner, Dubinsky etc. what makes Foligno any better? Foligno is loved for his intangibles and we ignore them for Saad. Saad also is younger.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yep and Saads playing with Wennberg not Kane. 2.21P/60 5v5 for Saad and Panarin was about 2.10.

Saad's basic stats are flat from his two prior years with the Hawks. 21-29 and 16-19. On the other hand, Kane's scoring is up with Panarin. Maybe Kane isn't driving Panarin's stats but the other way around?

I'd rather have Saad than Foligno, Jenner, Dubinsky etc. what makes Foligno any better? Foligno is loved for his intangibles and we ignore them for Saad. Saad also is younger.

Yes, I'd have preferred to add Panarin to Saad rather than at the expense of. Ideally. Probably wasn't going to happen though.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Foligno is our captain and has shown the ability to score 70+ points. Saad never took that "next step" to become any more than a strong two-way, 50 point winger.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm watching alot of highlight videos, and I know you can only take so much from highlight videos, but Panarin is a dangler, a perimeter guy (most goals I am watching are one timers on the powerplay, or off the rush. Nothing from sustained offense in the zone which is where we usually get our goals) who has good speed and a bomb of a shot. I am still very unsure of the fit here.

If Torts didn't get along with Saad. I am not sure how this marriage will go either.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
How can anyone dislike this trade. He fits us better and, IMO, is better than Saad. We definitely won this trade. I'm not worried about him only having two years left. I don't have time to look up our contracts, but I'm pretty sure we have some big contracts ending in 2 years.

It's great. We've added to our midget count in the top six, actually top line.

I'm ok with the move, it's gives us a different look. Our top line will have to difficult to play against for other reasons than a physical nature. Not saying if that is good or bad, just an observation.

I look forward to seeing what he can do.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site

Foligno, Jenner, Dubinsky etc. don't get you Panarin. I list them only to show redundancy.

Based on last year, I'd say Foligno was better than Saad. A much better playmaker, much more attentive in the defensive zone. Saad lapsed more.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Pretty straight up hockey trade at the top. barring unforseen we should get Saad like numbers or better from Pannarin. With Korpi firmly entrenched in Cbus after expansion draft Forsberg had to move on. For me Motte is the wildcard here. Did we win Motte better than Forsberg? Motte played 33 games last year for Chi, with 4 goals, 7 pts. He's 5'9 188 22yo. played big10 hockey at Mich, 2 years at Rockford. Good add for Monsters. destined 4th line duty somewhere down the road?

This is how I see the trade too. Excited to see what Panarin can do.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I'm watching alot of highlight videos, and I know you can only take so much from highlight videos, but Panarin is a dangler, a perimeter guy (most goals I am watching are one timers on the powerplay, or off the rush. Nothing from sustained offense in the zone which is where we usually get our goals) who has good speed and a bomb of a shot. I am still very unsure of the fit here.

If Torts didn't get along with Saad. I am not sure how this marriage will go either.
See how Atkinson blossomed under Torts? I feel something similar might happen to Panarin. Don't think they'll have a bad relationship at all.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

I'm not sure what you're driving at with "fit." It's been pretty clearly explained that Panarin gives the team a different look vs. Saad. Being less redundant isn't necessarily a bad "fit."

Or maybe I'm missing what you're saying.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
The problem has and always will be scoring enough goals, Panarin brings that, also, if the balckhawks are trading their young star bc they think they wont be able to resign him, that should give you all the information you need on who won this trade. We got the better player.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Foligno is our captain and has shown the ability to score 70+ points. Saad never took that "next step" to become any more than a strong two-way, 50 point winger.

Foligno hit 70 at age 26... how old is Saad? Prior to that his career high was 47 points. This argument doe not make sense, especially when Saad has outperformed and out produced Foligno at the same ages.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm not sure what you're driving at with "fit." It's been pretty clearly explained that Panarin gives the team a different look vs. Saad. Being less redundant isn't necessarily a bad "fit."

Or maybe I'm missing what you're saying.

Trying to replicate what Chicago does won't go well, if that's what we're trying to do. I am not saying Panarin will be bad here by any means, and if the goal of the trade is to signal a change in team style then none of this matters. But if Panarin was brought in to be a piece of the puzzle to what has already been constructed, I don't see the fit.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
So I'm pretty stunned right now. Panarin was my favorite Blackhawk and I am very upset by this.

I think I'm going to start watching a lot more Blue Jackets games if that's cool with you guys.

**** Bowman right now

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Trying to replicate what Chicago does won't go well, if that's what we're trying to do. I am not saying Panarin will be bad here by any means, and if the goal of the trade is to signal a change in team style then none of this matters. But if Panarin was brought in to be a piece of the puzzle to what has already been constructed, I don't see the fit.

I think they are changing the idea of the team because they watched Pitt get outworked and played by us yet we still lost due to their pure skill and talent. We need a guy like Panarin that is great at scoring goals and adds flair, Saad did go invisible at times.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So I'm pretty stunned right now. Panarin was my favorite Blackhawk and I am very upset by this.

I think I'm going to start watching a lot more Blue Jackets games if that's cool with you guys.

**** Bowman right now
We keep plenty of room available on the bandwagon as needed, so it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->