News Article: Artemi Panarin speaks on potential salary cuts

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes he “made” 11 million dollars because people want to pay money to watch him play. If people wanted to pay to sit in a stadium and watch doctors and nurses perform surgeries then they too could have similar salaries.

this whole argument that comes up is probably the absolute stupidest ones around and just shows a total lack of understanding about how salaries work. People get paid based on how difficult they are to replace and how much revenue they help bring in. It’s why all the “essential” grocery store workers don’t make more money. If they quit ok the store will just hire someone else who can do the exact same thing with a day of training.
You know who nobody sits in the stadium to watch? James Dolan.

Irina

Jan 15, 2019
It`s so funny that nobody translated his answer on the same question he gave several days ago live on his instagram with one Russian showman. He said, "We will lose a lot of money next season, 100 %. There is an escrow, we pay the league. I think we can even lose 30 percent of the salary. Plus taxes. But it turns out that these steps save our own business. If you do not pay, the club or league can be closed, then everyone will suffer losses.
This is our common business, clubs here have more opportunities to improve and make money on it than in Russia." But it sounds too ordinary, right? I hate journos sometime. They don't give a sh*t about the truth, they need attention to their articles. I am Russian, I like Artemiy a lot, his game, personality and his sence of humor. I am afraid after that he will become the boring hockey player with cliche-answers, because there ara so many crasy people who make histerics out of nothing.
P.S. His words are a 100% joke. Kerzhakov is his close friend, they were making fun of each other almost all time during this live air

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hard to tell what's going to happen but this is what I think--until there's some certainty fans are not going to be attending games. That certainty is going to happen with at the least much wider testing but even that might not be enough---it might need a certificate of vaccination. I could very easily see 20-21 being delayed by two or three months or wiped out completely. I'm kind of expecting no MLB and maybe no NFL this year.

As far as the owner's end of things there are a number of them who will cry poverty---who will see this as an opportunity to ask for relief. We've already seen a number of teams reluctant about paying their vendors. You can expect the same (plus at least a few more) to push back on paying players for full seasons if we only have a partial or no season at all. So that will be a balancing act for Bettman and if the past is anything to go by Gary always sides with what the owners want and starts from the most extreme position.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
After escrow, agent fees, taxes etc, it's 6m
Living in the tri-state area is no free ride either.

I am not saying there should be sympathy for these athletes, but lets not act they have endless wealth, are greedy, and dont have any worries in the world.

The other issue for them is, these players make this kinda money and they live a certain lifestyle, live in a certain size home with higher yearly taxes. Again, they can pay for all of that, but then they have to start cutting elsewhere. And they do it to stay away from the public so they are not so accessible. Because while this is an entertainment business, fans invests a lot of their hard earned money and many (I admit myself) wear their emotions on their sleeves because how passionate they are. Of course, it would be a very select few that would harass these guys for poor play outside the walls of MSG, but thats why a lot of them buy the big house up in westchester, CT, etc in a more private area. And that comes with a cost.

Again, not saying anyone should feel bad for any of them, but dont act like you know what its like to be in their shoes.

Regardless, Ive read all this is nonsense and either taken out of context or fake news.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yes he “made” 11 million dollars because people want to pay money to watch him play. If people wanted to pay to sit in a stadium and watch doctors and nurses perform surgeries then they too could have similar salaries.

this whole argument that comes up is probably the absolute stupidest ones around and just shows a total lack of understanding about how salaries work. People get paid based on how difficult they are to replace and how much revenue they help bring in. It’s why all the “essential” grocery store workers don’t make more money. If they quit ok the store will just hire someone else who can do the exact same thing with a day of training.

giphy.gif

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Found the guy who understands supply and demand

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Living in the tri-state area is no free ride either.

I am not saying there should be sympathy for these athletes, but lets not act they have endless wealth, are greedy, and dont have any worries in the world.

The other issue for them is, these players make this kinda money and they live a certain lifestyle, live in a certain size home with higher yearly taxes. Again, they can pay for all of that, but then they have to start cutting elsewhere. And they do it to stay away from the public so they are not so accessible. Because while this is an entertainment business, fans invests a lot of their hard earned money and many (I admit myself) wear their emotions on their sleeves because how passionate they are. Of course, it would be a very select few that would harass these guys for poor play outside the walls of MSG, but thats why a lot of them buy the big house up in westchester, CT, etc in a more private area. And that comes with a cost.

Again, not saying anyone should feel bad for any of them, but dont act like you know what its like to be in their shoes.

Regardless, Ive read all this is nonsense and either taken out of context or fake news.

It's been 5 years since this was published, but I still read it from time to time because it gives insight into the life of a hockey player and the financials.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/the-new-avery-rule

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes he is the owner. If there were no owners then there would be nobody paying to watch Panarin either as there would be no structured league capable of generating that sort of money.
This is not true. Teams exist in professional sports that don't have a singular owner.

The Green Bay Packers, for example, are a certified nonprofit.

The notion that they're just as important as the players is objectively wrong.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
I work for an organization that advocates on behalf of workers in a variety of manual labor-focused industries who literally can't live on the salaries they earn, and who are abused and taken advantage of at every turn. It's what I've done my whole adult life.

If they literally can't live on their salaries then I guess they must be dead.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I'm sure that he meant "just their salaries" implying that they need additional resources such as govt assistance to survive.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hurr hurr!!1!
I'm sure that he meant "just their salaries" implying that they need additional resources such as govt assistance to survive.
Bingo. They make wages that equate to working below the poverty line. If healthcare is offered to them, they can't afford it. Retirement is a cruel dream. Many of these people I'm referencing rely on multiple forms of government assistance to get by. You make minimum wage or close to it in a major metropolis and you're basically f***ed.

BreadKick

Feb 7, 2016
Reading that quote made me sick to my stomach. Hope it's not true. Seems like exactly the kind of thing that would happen to the Rangers.

I have seen a lot of times when he is making jokes and someone is taking an absolutely absurd idea and makes it serious. Just to make it sure I found this Instagram conversation with his good friend Korzhakov (socker player, not a journalist or something) and he really said (exactly here) he will probably skip a season. THIS WAS A JOKE and you can clearly see this. It is a shame for somebody who understands the language to present that as serious deal and suggest this nonsense could have any further consideration or something. BTW there were many more jokes in that conversation. For instance few minutes before Korzhakov asked how much does Artemi pay for rent for Bobrovsky and answer was he is not eating anything to save some money :))) Few minutes later he assured his friend that Korkino has much up-to date conditions for ice-hockey than NY. And so on.... this is just a small talk, nothing serious at all, a good dose of humor...
To make it short - do not pay attention to all the bs you can hear, not everything is true.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Avery says 'agent and management fees' takes up 25 percent of a player's salary?

Yes. Every fan always talks about income tax, when calculating the "net income", but nobody ever thinks of the agent fees, escrow etc.

That is a whole lot more than I would of expected them to pay their agents. Pretty sure Panarin (for example) wouldn't of suddenly lost 3M in yearly salary if he had gone with somebody much cheaper.

Not saying the number is wrong, I assume it's right, but that's a price tag that I would have a hard time reconciling were I in that position.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
That is a whole lot more than I would of expected them to pay their agents. Pretty sure Panarin (for example) wouldn't of suddenly lost 3M in yearly salary if he had gone with somebody much cheaper.

Not saying the number is wrong, I assume it's right, but that's a price tag that I would have a hard time reconciling were I in that position.

I was skeptical of Avery's 'numbers/percentages' the first time I read that article and still am... He suggests a player only takes home 5% of his NHL salary... I'm having a real hard time believing that...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I was skeptical of Avery's 'numbers/percentages' the first time I read that article and still am... He suggests a player only takes home 5% of his NHL salary... I'm having a real hard time believing that...

According to my calculations, and based on the percentages Avery mentions in regards to escrow and agent/mgmt fees and income tax, Sean Avery's take home pay in his first season was $141,633.

$171,036 in the NHL, $8,571 in the AHL. And that is based on a $275,000 NHL base salary (2-way) and $125,00 signing bonus. Assuming he did not spend anything at all, that puts his total earnings in the first 3 NHL/AHL seasons at max ~$420,000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad