Player Discussion Artemi Panarin

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
"Anyone can do it" is a straw man argument. No one is talking about Panarin turning Haley into a star.
Really? Because this certainly reads like the "anyone" can do it argument. Unless "anyone" and "easily replaced with little drop off" are completely different.

Every time they say "Oh Kunitz was a perfect fit with Crosby" and such well the exact same thing has happened year after year whether it's him, Sheary, Simon or any other guy. These guys are all fill ins with a superstar and can be replaced easily by someone else with little drop off

Oh, and inserting Haley is just as much of a straw man here, if not more.

What is being discussed is how in the past stars like Crosby has been able to turn middling offensive talents into, at least statistically, 1st liners. The list of players is long.
Are you equating one of the biggest stars of the league and a true generational player with Panarin?
And being that Panarin is on pace to put up more points than Crosby has in any season, ever, its not exactly something that can be dismissed out of hand. Do we really want to pay a player 5m-6m a year if he can be replaced by someone for half that price?
What are you asking me? Do I want to resign Strome for $5m or do I believe that any ole' UFA signed for $2.5 will have the same effect as Strome?

The answer is, yes, term dependent, I would resign Strome for $5m. And no, I do not believe that anyone else that we sign for $2.5 will probably be just as effective.

I see the "devil you know" pro to the Strome argument, but the con is not something you can just laugh off.
When he was scoring last year, it was dismissed out of hand as having an abnormally high shooting percentage. A stat that completley ignores many factors (ice time, PP time, linemates, player growth, etc.). This year, before Panrin, it was the percentage again. Then, when being paired with Panarin, it went to "It's Panarin. Anyone can make those passes to him". Fact is that Strome is a former top-5 pick who has done nothing but produce since he got here. I am not claiming that he is some sort of 70 point player, but at some point you cannot simply keep making excuses for production and laugh Strome off.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Wait what? You've shown nothing but that Pittsburgh signed all those players you've mentioned. It's countering your actual argument. Kunitz was extended twice by Pittsburgh. Guentzel was extended. Rust was extended. Neal couldn't be afforded but was still extended. Hornqvist was extended. Rust was extended..

So, you're saying we should extend Strome?

Why are you using one of the greatest centers of all-time and his past as an example for Panarin? You do not change things unless you're forced to. There's no reason to get rid of Strome. He's a RFA, at worst he will be he next year. At best he's signed for 2-3 years. At that point it could be re-evaluated.

Good points. That's not to mention Sidney Crosby has a legitimate beef as the 4th or 5th greatest forward to ever play the game of hockey. As much as we love Panarin, he's not Crosby either and we haven't seen him elevate linemates to the degree Sid has over his career.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If it were me I would offer Strome a 2 year deal. His contract would end the same off-season as Chytil, Howden, and some others.

What he does, and what the rest of them do, in those two years determines if they extend him or not.

If he will not sign for two, I guess I offer a one year at about what he'd get in arbitration anyway.

To me he seems like the type of player where he is not going to get better, so I'm not sure I see the reward in locking him up long term, he is probably going to get about the same amount for his UFA years whether they buy them now or later.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Really? Because this certainly reads like the "anyone" can do it argument. Unless "anyone" and "easily replaced with little drop off" are completely different.

Every time they say "Oh Kunitz was a perfect fit with Crosby" and such well the exact same thing has happened year after year whether it's him, Sheary, Simon or any other guy. These guys are all fill ins with a superstar and can be replaced easily by someone else with little drop off

Oh, and inserting Haley is just as much of a straw man here, if not more.

Haley succeeding literally means anyone can succeed.

Kunitz, Neal, Dupuis, et al succeeding literally means that you need to have at least moderate offensive ability to succeed.

One is a straw man argument. One is not.

Are you equating one of the biggest stars of the league and a true generational player with Panarin?

I am equating his production to one of the biggest stars of the league and a true generational player because he is on pace to out-produce the best season of one of biggest stars of the league and a true generational player.

That is how good Panarin has been this season. And that is how outrageous his production has been. He is on pace for 122 points.

If you have a problem with the comparison, you can take it up with math.

What are you asking me? Do I want to resign Strome for $5m or do I believe that any ole' UFA signed for $2.5 will have the same effect as Strome?

The answer is, yes, term dependent, I would resign Strome for $5m. And no, I do not believe that anyone else that we sign for $2.5 will probably be just as effective.

1) Strome's extension likely STARTS at 5m, unless he takes a huge discount or he stops producing.

2) Stromes likely replacement would be Chytil, who will probably sign for half of what Strome signs for. Or are we planning on keeping Chytil at 3C forever?

3) Replacing priced out players with cheaper versions (usually younger players on ELCs or their first extension) is how it works in a cap world. Why are you acting like this shocking?

When he was scoring last year, it was dismissed out of hand as having an abnormally high shooting percentage. A stat that completley ignores many factors (ice time, PP time, linemates, player growth, etc.). This year, before Panrin, it was the percentage again. Then, when being paired with Panarin, it went to "It's Panarin. Anyone can make those passes to him". Fact is that Strome is a former top-5 pick who has done nothing but produce since he got here. I am not claiming that he is some sort of 70 point player, but at some point you cannot simply keep making excuses for production and laugh Strome off.

Yes I am sure his shooting percentage was one of the highest of the entire 21st century because he grew as a player.

Anyway, even if you disregard his Oilers start he was on an 82 game pace for 23 goals, 20 assists and 43 points last year, and he had 4 assists and zero goals in 7 games before getting put with Panarin, so saying he has "done nothing but produce" is being extremely generous.

He has 18 goals and 16 assists for 34 points in 70 games without Panarin.
He has 12 goals and 26 assists for 38 points in 38 games with Panarin.

That is a rather large difference in production.

I mean, that is fine production for someone making 3m a year. Not great production, especially if that player is not good defensively, but not awful. But that is also pretty horrific "when are we buying this guy out" production for someone making 5m-6m a year.

Again, I get the pro-Strome argument. What I don't get is how the anti-Strome argument can be laughed off. Signing a guy to a large and long term contract just to play with one guy is a potentially dangerous move. I'd be shocked if Gorton and co. don't have the same fears.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Strome clicks with Panarin just like Simon, Rust, Guentzel, Kunitz, Dupuis, Hornqvist, Neal, Armstrong, Guerin, Sheary. and every single player to ever play with Crosby clicks with Crosby. Entirely replaceable parts.
There are many occasions when this seemingly logical thinking didn't pan out. And they have been cited in this thread. There was the time we landed Gomez and Drury, and wondered who would play with Jagr. Turns out neither played well with him. This happens all the time in hockey. So I'm not sure why you think it is a given when we have seen it many times in history.
This is honestly ridiculous, like even by the eye test Strome is by far the worst defensive player on that line. And any defense he brings (which is none, imo) its offset by the fact that he takes a lot of penalties and draws very few.
Yes Panarin and Fast are good defensively. And I will not argue who is better. They are all good. But you don't put someone who isn't sound defensively on the PK. Does Quinn not have choices? Panarin is not playing the PK, so Quinn does have choices. The eye test is sometimes a good measure, but sometimes you have to use your brain too.

Last edited:

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Fact is that Strome is a former top-5 pick who has done nothing but produce since he got here. I am not claiming that he is some sort of 70 point player, but at some point you cannot simply keep making excuses for production and laugh Strome off.
I like this.

I too had my doubts if Strome was just an aberration. But it seems it might be just a case of him turning a corner. This is the most ice time he has ever had, and playing in all situations. This never was the case before. Plus he is now 26, entering his prime. So it could be, what you see is what you get.

Plus I went over Panarin's time with Kane. Wondering if they enhanced each others play. And I don't see it. Kane had 110 pts after Panarin left. Toews also had his best year after Panarin was gone. And Panarin has scored about the same (PPG) in the last 4 years. So this leads me to believe there is some real chemistry with him and Strome. Well at least some chemistry. Cause they are both hitting their prime. Panarin said after last game, he hasn't done anything different from previous years. Just been playing the same way, when asked why he's having his best year.

Last edited:

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
One thing bothers me. How come CBJ are ahead of us in the standings? They lose their star player this year, plus Atkinson is out with an injury and have won 6 out of their last 8, beating Boston twice! Their second string goalie just shutout BOS in their last game for his second consecutive shutout. WTH!

We have to start putting some wins together. I want to see 5 high leg kicks tomorrow! LOL

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
One thing bothers me. How come CBJ are ahead of us in the standings? They lose their star player this year, plus Atkinson is out with an injury and have won 6 out of their last 8, beating Boston twice! Their second string goalie just shutout BOS in their last game for his second consecutive shutout. WTH!

We have to start putting some wins together. I want to see 5 high leg kicks tomorrow! LOL
Seth Jones being a top 5 defender will ensure they never drop back into the lottery as long as he's healthy.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Seth Jones being a top 5 defender will ensure they never drop back into the lottery as long as he's healthy.
We play them Sunday at MSG. It will be the second game of a back to back for CBJ. 3rd in 4 days. We should roll over them. Just need to survive the brawl on the Island first. We need to beat these teams ahead of us.

Last edited:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Torts is a a really good coach, and they have a really good blueline.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Only one point for the Franchise (Too early to call him that) last night. It wasn't his best game, turned it over a few times, more than most nights, but his presence on the ice demands so much respect, our other lines have less pressure on them, and better match ups.

Come Sunday against his former team at the Garden,... with CBJ playing their second game of a back to back, 3rd in 4 days,.... expect a huge performance from the Breadman.

Last edited:

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
Just wanted to ask if anyone realized that Panarin has the highest shootout goal percentage in the league? (among active players who have taken at least 10 shots) 59.1% 22 Shots 13 Goals.

Nothing majorly important, but thought it was a nice thing to know.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Pretty sure he got it in the Islander game; they were targeting him pretty hard, and not just by shadowing him

Reactions: BreadKick

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Dear Lawd Baby Jebus,

We thank ya for this wonder smorgasbord of topics and opinions on HF Boards, or as long-timers call it, Our Frozen Groundhog's Day Experience.

Thank ya for all the insight, some of it logical and some of it crazy.

Thank ya for the mods, they doin' your work and all.

Thank ya for keeping @jas on this earth for another year, he bein' old and stuff.

Thank ya for sending your emissary, The Colonel Sanders, to earth to deliver onto us some fried chicken.

And we thank ya for all you can eat shrimp specials at the holy house of The Sizzler.

We kindly ask that the word concussion don't pop up and derail this thread for the next 15 pages. I ain't got it in me this time around.

Thank Ya.

A-man

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Dear Lawd Baby Jebus,

We thank you for this wonder smorgasbord of topics and opinions on HF Boards, or as long-timers call it, Our Frozen Groundhog's Day Experience.

Thank you for all the insight, some of it logical and some of it crazy.

Thank you for the mods, they doin' your work and all.

Thank you for keeping @jas on this earth for another year, he bein' old and stuff.

We kindly ask that the word concussion don't pop up and derail this thread for the next 15 pages. I ain't got it in me this time around.

Thank Ya.

A-man

Rent-free

Reactions: Alluckks

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
In no way am I saying that Panarin is as good as Crosby BUT he is does have a slightly more creative playing style.. of course Crosby makes many plays that no one else would see, but I do think he has more predictability to some extent at least.

I think to play with Panarin you really need to be on your toes and think the game at a fairly high level. Of course, he can make a player look great at any given moment but to play well with him night after night is not something anyone could do. I'm not sure what Strome is worth tbh, and while others will be great with Panarin, the guy deserves some credit for keeping up with him... he's showing very good hockey IQ imo even if he is producing above what he should w his overall skillset bc of Panarin.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
He is MSL in his prime. Good news is that MSL had a very long “prime.” Hopefully Artemi Will too.

Reactions: mschmidt64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad