Player Discussion Artemi Panarin

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
We're in the dumpster without Panarin. We were scoring and winning without Zibanejad.

I think Mac is going to win it because of politics. Mac is an explosive talent and deserves to get recognition but I just think Panarin was in another dimension this year.

The Avs without MacKinnon don't even have a forward hitting 50 points. In a season where Makar, Rantanen, Kadri, Landeskog and Burakovsky missed almost 90 games combined, MacKinnon was the only one to carry them through this season

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The Avs without MacKinnon don't even have a forward hitting 50 points. In a season where Makar, Rantanen, Kadri, Landeskog and Burakovsky missed almost 90 games combined, MacKinnon was the only one to carry them through this season
What is that worth and why would variables outside of the players control, dictate worth? Whats with the arbitrary 50pts mark? They were injured and the season was shortened. Rantanen, Burk and Landeskog would have arguably hit 50 if the season played out. I dont understand the 'arbitrary point barrier' as an accolade for MacK.

The Rangers barely had 50pts scorer in their last run.

Panarin dominated even-strength with Ryan Strome and Jespr Fast. Team still won and played well without Zibanejad. Panarin makes everyone around him better.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The best player is the most valuable. Anything else you are baking in the success of the GM and coaching staff into an award for a player.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Not being sarcastic - I am really glad there is a players' voted MVP as well. I think they are better suited to judge. I also think on and off ice officials should have a say in the Lady Byng.

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
The best player is the most valuable. Anything else you are baking in the success of the GM and coaching staff into an award for a player.
It really honestly becomes a game of semantics at some point. Lets chalk this up as it really stands. This award is subjective. Plain and simple, it is and always will be. The only objective piece we have are point/goal totals and team success, what separates players at the end of the day is how a single person feels about that player and their performance.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This award is subjective. Plain and simple, it is and always will be. The only objective piece we have are point/goal totals and team success, what separates players at the end of the day is how a single person feels about that player and their performance.
Is the award subjective? Sure. But who scores the most points is not necessarily a sign of who was most valuable. That is called the Art Ross trophy. There is a reason as to why that is an entirely separate award.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Not being sarcastic - I am really glad there is a players' voted MVP as well. I think they are better suited to judge. I also think on and off ice officials should have a say in the Lady Byng.

the Ted Lindsay award is not for MVP, that is for the most outstanding player voted by the players. so that is straight up who is the best player.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
the Ted Lindsay award is not for MVP, that is for the most outstanding player voted by the players. so that is straight up who is the best player.

I'm always intrigued by this. Why is it assumed that current players are any better suited to evaluate who is the best? Do we really think McDavid pays attention to a Wednesday night game between the Canes and Panthers more than a journo does? If the ballot was secret do we really think he'd vote for a guy in a conference he plays twice a year and doesn't see in practice over Drai?

Sure they watch plenty of tape, but it's to breakdown plays and understand zones, they aren't watching game after game and comparing players to each other.

I 100% think the players should vote on a "best player" award, and winning it should be considered an awesome achievement (like the Hart), but to just say that it is a much better award because it voted on by players seems to be just as subjective as the reasons why people are always unhappy with the Hart winner.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Oh so that's another award McDavid has on lock for a decade.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
I'm always intrigued by this. Why is it assumed that current players are any better suited to evaluate who is the best? Do we really think McDavid pays attention to a Wednesday night game between the Canes and Panthers more than a journo does? If the ballot was secret do we really think he'd vote for a guy in a conference he plays twice a year and doesn't see in practice over Drai?

Sure they watch plenty of tape, but it's to breakdown plays and understand zones, they aren't watching game after game and comparing players to each other.

I 100% think the players should vote on a "best player" award, and winning it should be considered an awesome achievement (like the Hart), but to just say that it is a much better award because it voted on by players seems to be just as subjective as the reasons why people are always unhappy with the Hart winner.
I am not saying the Lindsey is better than the Hart, I am saying I like having that point of view out there and as Leetch3 said, it really should be an award for the best player as voted by the players. As to why I think the players could be better judges- because they are playing the games. They know who is bringing it every night, they understand what it is when a guy dismantles another guy on either side of the puck and when they are doing it consistently, you better believe all the players are talking about it. The media is too, but it's their job to hype people and events. Journalists watch a ton of tape too and I am sure their perspective is closer to a fan, but like the players they are watching a lot more in conference games, teams and players they will be analyzing and discussing or writing about more. It is the genesis of east coast bias.

TLDR version: If Sidney Crosby says Chara is the toughest guy to beat one on one I take it a lot more seriously than if Bill Pidto says it. It isn't any more or less factual, but it has a little more credibility.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I’m biased as shit obviously. But if Panarin doesn’t sign here - the tone of this board right now is suicidal after an awful season.

kreider may have been traded at the deadline and is in the playoffs with another team. The forward depth is horrible and Strome isn’t able to carry a 2nd line.

the dominos that fall if Panarin doesn’t sign here leave us rebuilding for years to come.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
i don't care that i'm biased, this is Panarin's award

Draisaitl is literal dog shit defensively. One of the worst forwards at it in the league. It counts for something.

The Avs would be an excellent team if MacKinnon retired tomorrow. the fairy tales of "he had to do it all himself" are just that.

listen this season was super fun but I absolutely want some hardware to show for it and with Fox getting snubbed even a nomination I am balls deep on Hartemi winning the Hart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad