Arsenal announce Mikel Arteta as new manager

AB13

Apr 29, 2019

Couldn’t be happier with Arteta. It’s what I’ve wanted for so long to lead our rebuild, a young progressive coach with a modern mindset that has been praised for developing talented players such as Raheem Sterling. He also knows the league inside out which is a bonus. He has outlined that he wants his football to be “expressive and entertaining” and “not based on the oppositions strengths”, which is pretty much the anti-Emery, which will be refreshing to watch.

The praise that he has received from fellow staff is next to none, often said to be a good contributor behind City’s success. I have mad respect for him to leave a club like City mid season with a comfortable job to come and fix our mess.

It is obviously a massive risk but a risk I will gladly take, there is nothing better available. Peps assistants have gone on to do great things in the past, look at Erik Ten Hag and Tito Villanova becoming very good managers.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm happy with the appointment. Really hoping he gets the younger players playing a more exciting style of football.

It's going to take time to right the ship, so hopefully fans and the front office give him the time he needs.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I'm happy with the appointment. Really hoping he gets the younger players playing a more exciting style of football.

It's going to take time to right the ship, so hopefully fans and the front office give him the time he needs.

He needs to be allowed to clear out the dead wood and bring in players to fit his system, that is the most important thing. With Kroenke though, I am not sure he will get proper backing.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
As good of a hire as you can get in the middle of the season. Everything I've read leads me to believe Arteta will make a pretty good coach. Still gotta fix that defense though, that will require some signings in January and the ensuing Summer transfer window. Ljunberg must be pumped, he's looked like he was about to lose it on the sidelines the past few games.

Reactions: robertmac43

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Peps assistants have gone on to do great things in the past, look at Erik Ten Hag and Tito Villanova becoming very good managers.

Tito is a weird example, as he only managed Barça for one season (not even a full season since he missed several months due to his illness), and he didn't really do much besides let that team do their thing with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets etc at their peak.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Tito is a weird example, as he only managed Barça for one season (not even a full season since he missed several months due to his illness), and he didn't really do much besides let that team do their thing with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets etc at their peak.

Thats true, can’t base too much off of such a short stint. They aren’t the hardest players to coach but he kept them paying offensive, fluid football with passing triangles and did very well in general.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
His attitude and demeanor from that presser is what Arsenal have needed for a decade. I hope players follow him if not they can GTFO

Reactions: AB13 and S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Very risky choice simply because the bloke has literally no experience, however, he has shadowed and been the assistant one of probably the best manager on the planet.

I very much dislike how Arsenal wasn't classy to Man City in hiring him, they were going to allow him to become a manager anyway so why do all this behind the back shadow stuff? It's nonsense.

I will back him as I backed Emery until the point that he shows he isn't ready for a top calibre job. I haven't chequed out anything, but I did read a tweet where he mentions that he wants to play fast, attacking football and that already starts off with a smile face sticker in my book. As others have said though, why even hire Emery when you eventually hired this bloke? Additionally, why would Arteta want to become manager when he didn't get the job over Emery in the first place? A lot of weird situations going on, but hopefully it works out in the end.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He needs to be allowed to clear out the dead wood and bring in players to fit his system, that is the most important thing. With Kroenke though, I am not sure he will get proper backing.
Not that I disagree, but I laugh when mates on AFTV whine and want the whole board gone. Like Kroenke will sell the club due to 1/3 of the fanbase. Lol, it is a losing battle, we just gotta put up with Kroenke's dealings because no way he sells.

As good of a hire as you can get in the middle of the season. Everything I've read leads me to believe Arteta will make a pretty good coach. Still gotta fix that defense though, that will require some signings in January and the ensuing Summer transfer window. Ljunberg must be pumped, he's looked like he was about to lose it on the sidelines the past few games.
I also love when fans, especially on AFTV mention that Ljunberg's legacy is getting ruined. Like a month of bad results for a super green manager will ruin his entire history at Arsenal. Bullocks times a million there.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Not that I disagree, but I laugh when mates on AFTV whine and want the whole board gone. Like Kroenke will sell the club due to 1/3 of the fanbase. Lol, it is a losing battle, we just gotta put up with Kroenke's dealings because no way he sells.

I also love when fans, especially on AFTV mention that Ljunberg's legacy is getting ruined. Like a month of bad results for a super green manager will ruin his entire history at Arsenal. Bullocks times a million there.

Kroenke will never leave, but he took us from being one of the best teams on the planet when he took over to being where we are today. That is no coincidence. He is the only owner in English football history to never invest a single penny into the club. We as fans have to do everything in our power to force him out.

Ljungberg has not tarnished his legacy in any way, you are totally right. If anything, he further improved it. He showed how much he cares about the club, more than himself in fact. He could easially have sucked up to the Kroenkes to try and get the job permanently, but instead he asks for a new manager to be put in place because he knows it is in the clubs best intrest.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
His attitude and demeanor from that presser is what Arsenal have needed for a decade.

It might be one thing Arsenal has needed for a decade. But I'd suggest all that time they've also been needing a defence worthy of the name and a quality defensive midfielder.

In this media-sensitive age, I'd be surprised to see a new coaching appointment exude listlessness in their early media exchanges.

Reactions: Cassano

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Here's what I do if I'm Arteta this summer.

These sale prices are based on transfermarkt values, adjusted down when I deem it necessary. That is to say, I never overshoot a value. But Sokratis isn't worth 18M. On the other hand, for purchases, I never undershoot a TM value.

Sell:
Sokratis (10M)
David Luiz (6M)
Shkodran Mustafi (10M)
Sead Kolasinac (15M)
Granit Xhaka (20M)
Mesut Ozil (12M)
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (50M)
Total: 123M

Buy:
Nikola Milenkovic (60M)
U19 center back (~5M) - I don't know enough about soccer prospects to really give a name. Maybe an Odilon Kossounou or Francisco Flores. Basically, a developmental piece
U23 Left back (~10M) - Again, don't know enough to confidently give a name. Maybe a Luca Pellegrini or Rogerio. Someone who can spell Tierney if need be.
Sandro Tonali (~60M)
Mohamed Ihatteran (50M)
Olivier Giroud (free)
Total: 185M

Net: 62M

4-2-3-1 two deep:

Leno
Martinez
Bellerin - Saliba - Milenkovic - Tierney
Chambers - Holding - (Kossounou)- (Pellegrini)
Torreira - Tonali
Guendouzi- Willock
Pepe - Ihatteran - Saka
Maitland-Niles - Smith-Rowe - Nelson
Lacazette
Martinelli
Then also in the squad: Giroud, Mavropanos, Balogun, Burton, John-Jules, etc.

There are still some weaker spots, and it may (likely) will end up costing more net, but I think that squad is pretty decent

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Here's what I do if I'm Arteta this summer.

These sale prices are based on transfermarkt values, adjusted down when I deem it necessary. That is to say, I never overshoot a value. But Sokratis isn't worth 18M. On the other hand, for purchases, I never undershoot a TM value.

Sell:
Sokratis (10M)
David Luiz (6M)
Shkodran Mustafi (10M)
Sead Kolasinac (15M)
Granit Xhaka (20M)
Mesut Ozil (12M)
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (50M)
Total: 123M

Buy:
Nikola Milenkovic (60M)
U19 center back (~5M) - I don't know enough about soccer prospects to really give a name. Maybe an Odilon Kossounou or Francisco Flores. Basically, a developmental piece
U23 Left back (~10M) - Again, don't know enough to confidently give a name. Maybe a Luca Pellegrini or Rogerio. Someone who can spell Tierney if need be.
Sandro Tonali (~60M)
Mohamed Ihatteran (50M)
Olivier Giroud (free)

Net: 62M

4-2-3-1 two deep:

Leno
Martinez
Bellerin - Saliba - Milenkovic - Tierney
Chambers - Holding - (Kossounou)- (Pellegrini)
Torreira - Tonali
Guendouzi- Willock
Pepe - Ihatteran - Saka
Maitland-Niles - Smith-Rowe - Nelson
Lacazette
Martinelli
Then also in the squad: Giroud, Mavropanos, Balogun, Burton, John-Jules, etc.

There are still some weaker spots, and it may (likely) will end up costing more net, but I think that squad is pretty decent

Those are some really good suggestions, I would do something similar. Tonali is exactly the player we need in midfield, but is really not worth more than 60 million? I think he would cost at least 80.

I do think there are a lot better options than Milenkovic for 60 million, from what I have seen. I would rather look at Romagnoli, Konate, Upamecano or Elvedi. A world class CB like Koulibaly would be ideal of course, and with what is going on at Napoli right now it isn’t too unrealistic, at least if we make the UCL.

I would love a box to box midfielder too, someone in the Ramsey mould, but Willock can develop into that long term.

I watched Odilon Kossounou in the swedish league during the beggining of the season, and he struggled a lot with his positioning and decision making, but that will get better with age. He has great ability on the ball and a good physique, the tools to become good are there but I probably think there are many better options. At the moment he would probably be far away from first team ready at Arsenal. I get your point though and I think it is vital we keep looking at getting cheap bargains like Martinelli. Sadly, what we are asking for is probably not happening considering the owner.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Those are some really good suggestions, I would do something similar. Tonali is exactly the player we need in midfield, but is really not worth more than 60 million? I think he would cost at least 80.

I do think there are a lot better options than Milenkovic for 60 million, from what I have seen. I would rather look at Romagnoli, Konate, Upamecano or Elvedi.
I like Milenkovic, but yeah, Elvedi would be fine, too. I stayed away from RBL players because Upamecano had a hefty release clause and RBL seemed willing to enforce it. I can't imagine prying Romagnoli out of the captaincy at Milan.

With regards to Tonali, I don't know. I saw 50M as a price quote in some article, so I went off that and added. Like I said, the net may end up being larger, but if we sell some of these players, we also clear some of the larger wages.

Reactions: S E P H and AB13

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Sounds familiar, I can't quite put where I've read this before...

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Buy:
Nikola Milenkovic (60M)
Sandro Tonali (~60M)
Mohamed Ihatteran (50M)
Olivier Giroud (free)
Not sure if Arsenal go back in for Upamecano, but I hope they go after Skriniar instead. Hopefully, he is willing to leave the disaster that is known as Inter for greener pastures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->