Prospect Info: Arsen Khisamutdinov, Laval Rocket (2019, 170th)

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I think it is pronounsed like "Arsen Khisamutdinov, Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk" :D
Imagine if this guy was being selected 1st round.....Bergevin approaches the mike.....Trevor Timmins will make the selection......Trevor approaches the mike....Churla will make the selection....Churla approaches the mike.....Lapointe will be making the selection.....Lapointe approaches the mike....Captain Weber will be making the selection.....Captain Weber approaches the mike.....well, you get the picture lol

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Imagine if this guy was being selected 1st round.....Bergevin approaches the mike.....Trevor Timmins will make the selection......Trevor approaches the mike....Churla will make the selection....Churla approaches the mike.....Lapointe will be making the selection.....Lapointe approaches the mike....Captain Weber will be making the selection.....Captain Weber approaches the mike.....well, you get the picture lol

It would be the first time a first round pick is announced by just putting up his name and picture on the screen.

"With our first round selection, the Montreal Canadiens are proud to select (points to screen)... This guy!"

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
They had enough trouble with Kotnaniemi already

I swear, they bumbled it pretty bad the first time on draft day.

I can just imagine an old-time sports reporter going to bed in his pajamas, pausing to look in the mirror by his bed and repeating Mint's name a few times to familiarize himself, shrug, then go to sleep after a swig of Whisky.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I swear, they bumbled it pretty bad the first time on draft day.

I can just imagine an old-time sports reporter going to bed in his pajamas, pausing to look in the mirror by his bed and repeating Mint's name a few times to familiarize himself, shrug, then go to sleep after a swig of Whisky.
"From Assettt in the finish leet leeg Jesperee Kotkinamee"

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

There was this other guy the Habs selected in the first round this past summer and Shea Weber managed to mangle a recognizable name like Caufield.

This guy will simply and automatically be known by the phonetic result that his first name evokes.

Reactions: jaffy27

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's 21 years old. If he doesn't boom this year in the KHL and comes over for 2020-2021, he's pretty much a wasted pick.

Any late round pick that doesn't make it is a wasted pick. I.e. 95% of them are.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Any late round pick that doesn't make it is a wasted pick. I.e. 95% of them are.

But at least a 18 years old has more potential growth. A 21 years old already had 3 years of growth so you hope he's a couple steps ahead of any other 6th rounder.

Alexandre Magny

Apr 27, 2019
Yes Treb but KHL = best ligue after NHL .

Khisamutdinov = 5 points in 9 games KHL and play KHL in 2020-2021 and 6p3 .

In 6 round yes for me is a Good guess.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yes Treb but KHL = best ligue after NHL .

Khisamutdinov = 5 points in 9 games KHL and play KHL in 2020-2021 and 6p3 .

In 6 round yes for me is a Good guess.

Good pick where he was taken. Low risk for the Habs.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
But at least a 18 years old has more potential growth. A 21 years old already had 3 years of growth so you hope he's a couple steps ahead of any other 6th rounder.

Streit was 27 when he was drafted. That worked out pretty well. Nygren was 21 or 23. He came close - but no cigar.

Has Timmins had a 6th round pick yet that has made the NHL? Why pick on this guy because of his age?

Ultimatwly if he makes it he makes it. If he doesn't he's like 95% of 6th rounders, regardless of age.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Streit was 27 when he was drafted. That worked out pretty well. Nygren was 21 or 23. He came close - but no cigar.

Has Timmins had a 6th round pick yet that has made the NHL? Why pick on this guy because of his age?

Ultimatwly if he makes it he makes it. If he doesn't he's like 95% of 6th rounders, regardless of age.

IF you pick a guy at 21 years old, it has to be because you think he's close at making it. You do not pick a guy at 21 years old hoping the same thing as you would have just drafted a 17 year old and hope that in 4 years he does something. Older players that don't pan out are a waste of pick no matter where you pick them. But especially 21 year old guys.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
IF you pick a guy at 21 years old, it has to be because you think he's close at making it. You do not pick a guy at 21 years old hoping the same thing as you would have just drafted a 17 year old and hope that in 4 years he does something. Older players that don't pan out are a waste of pick no matter where you pick them. But especially 21 year old guys.

I'm not following what you're trying to say in your last 2 sentences. Hiw does it matter whether it's older guys or younger guys in the 2nd to last sentence? If a player doesn't pan out they don't pan out, regardless of age.

Yes, an older player has less time to develop, by definition. But if you think he'll be good eventually you take him. If a player has less talent it doesn't matter how many years they have ahead of them. You can incubate a rock, it won't become a chick.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
He's 21 years old. If he doesn't boom this year in the KHL and comes over for 2020-2021, he's pretty much a wasted pick.

So if the pick doesn’t pan out it doesn’t pan out?

But if that player doesn’t pan out, why do you care about their growth?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So if the pick doesn’t pan out it doesn’t pan out?
Yes, but picking an overager is supposed to have a lower risk, not the same amount. At 21, he should already be in the AHL, so if he doesn't come over after his contract ends, it doesn't look good.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I like Bergevin taking a chance with a 21-year-old draft pick who knows he can be a good catch.

I like the philosophy the Habs adopted in the Khisamutdinov and Harvey-Pinard picks. They selected two players who were going to be undrafted UFAs next year and instead of getting in line in convincing them to sign with Montreal, they drafted them to put them in the system.

And they used a 6th and a 7th round picks for these selections. No high picks were used for this. I'm all for this.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I like the philosophy the Habs adopted in the Khisamutdinov and Harvey-Pinard picks. They selected two players who were going to be undrafted UFAs next year and instead of getting in line in convincing them to sign with Montreal, they drafted them to put them in the system.

And they used a 6th and a 7th round picks for these selections. No high picks were used for this. I'm all for this.

When you amass excess picks like the Habs have, you can easily afford to use 6th and 7th round picks for projects like these.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->