TSN: Arpon Basu on Bergevin's presser.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
To think MB looked so confident when he came in as GM, now he looked like someone on crack with people looking at him like he's crazy. Don't he himself and Molson realise this and what brought the change? And that somehow there must be something wrong?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The knives are starting to come out more and more. I honestly believe Bergevin would've been fired by now if he didn't get that long extension. Molson knows it's a sunk cost and has to deal with it for at least another year.

If not firing your GM means another wasted year, is it worth it? Plus all the moves he may make that takess the ball back even further.

I'd consider reassigning him to scouting (he'd be an expensive scout, I concur) and try and get another team to take him on, maybe the Hawks.

Of course, it's all too easy for us, it's not our money. However, if you're playing at Molson's level, there are a lot of levers you can play with, in order to cushion the blows, which leads me to believe it's not just money that's keeping Bergevin in place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clearedwaivers

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If not firing your GM means another wasted year, is it worth it? Plus all the moves he may make that moves the ball back even further.

Well as long as he doesn't have the right to trade the first pick of this year it could be an effective way to rebuild while not wasting money.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Montreal media yesterday be like...

giphy.gif

I suspect the same face is being made by the likes of Belail, Jaffy, ToLegit and the rest of the fanclub.

"We spend 3 years defending... this?"

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
The bottom line is that he's had over half a f***ing decade to make this team better. He hasn't done that at all... he's made this team worse. Maybe the worst team I've ever seen this year. He has a thousand excuses on why he can't get a center. He has a thousand excuses on why signing his awful awful signings don't work out... When you keep getting worse and worse at your job, why would you keep that person around? It doesn't make any sense. It's not like the next guy can do much worse is it???

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
(mod)

What's so... curious to me is how it feels like everyone who defends Bergevin (or in a few of their cases, just claims everyone focuses too much on Bergevin) also dislikes Carey Price. Maybe I missed it but they all think Price is overrated but Bergevin gets too much blame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Toene

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Engels had a similarly (rightful) hard take on the press conference with his article headline: "The attitude problem came from Bergevin's bad offseason."

Some of the lines in the article are brutal, too:

- "If Bergevin can’t understand why that didn’t happen this season, he needs a bigger mirror." [in regards to why players didn't "buy-in" after his head-scratching off-season which we ALL knew was one giant head-scratcher with the exception of a select few who still support Bergevin.]

- "It was his decision to remake the defence of a team that finished with 103 points and with the fourth-best goals-against average in the NHL. It was his decision to play hardball with Radulov and Markov without a gun to hold in negotiations. It was his decision to sign Streit, who couldn’t get into games for a decimated Pittsburgh Penguins team in last year’s playoffs. It was his decision to sign Hemsky after two hip surgeries in three years had rendered him incapable of continuing to perform at this level. And it was his decision to give Alzner—who was relegated to being a sixth defenceman with the Washington Capitals—a five-year, $23.1 million contract."

The media is rightfully starting to call out Bergevin and put him on the hot seat, and I feel Bergevin is only being saved because of Molson's own incompetence when he gave him such a big extension prematurely on the back of his star goaltender.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
What's so... curious to me is how it feels like everyone who defends Bergevin (or in a few of their cases, just claims everyone focuses too much on Bergevin) also dislikes Carey Price. Maybe I missed it but they all think Price is overrated but Bergevin gets too much blame.

I believe there are some posters who think Bergevin sucks but also think Price is overrated, but by and large the two main camps are diametrically opposed for a very good reason.

If someone loves Carey Price's contributions, then the problem was always clearly in front of him and that is on Bergevin. If someone loves Bergevin's contributions then Price has to be overrated, otherwise this well assembled team would have been a true contender for the Stanley Cup under Bergy's guidance.

As a pragmatist (most of the time) I believe Carey Price was pretty awful this year and, by consequence, has to take a huge load of the blame for the sheer awfulness that was the Habs' 2017-18 season. Likewise, people harping Carey Price for having been overrated in years' past are also out to lunch. He might have hit a peak he will never match in the future, but anyone with working eyes could tell he was probably 50% of the reason the Habs organization was respected by the end of the 2015 season (divide the rest between the other players).

But even if I thought Carey Price was overrated, it still doesn't answer the big question I have for Bergevin defenders*: who cares? The team in front of him is poorly constructed nonsense. Only half the defense (if even that) are legit, every night players. The strength of the team's attack is found in small wingers who do an excellent job of supporting useless plugs, centremen out of their depth and skill players who do not drive a sustainable, dangerous offense. Furthermore, the sheer lack of mobility from the defense forces an under-equiped forward group to do far more work their counterparts on other teams do.

One of the messages Molson and Bergevin tried to bring forth yesterday was transparency. While I'm sure we as a fanbase will receive more information than in the past due to Molson's word, it is pretty clear to me that Bergevin is still incapable of being truly honest to the fans about his own failures as a GM, as if his team's performance is the cause of the underlying issues at hand rather than the effect.

axman88

Apr 5, 2007
I was set to give Bergevin another chance, however, after that press conference....

Unprofessional, very pessimistic, playing the blame game, not taking the fall....#NoEXCUSES

Unfortunately he did not take the high road like Molson and just admit, we were awful, we need to get better...starting with me...

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Make no mistake, Molson, despite trying to sound stern and serious (he lost me in the first 15 sec with the better entertainment bs -- my eyes almost rolled to the back of my head), is the biggest idiot here. He's a pretend owner, a pretend business man (I can think of another, although at least Molson's surrounded in business by competent people), and now pretend upset about what's happened. He's an absolute joke for allowing MB to give another press conference.

Seriously, this is akin to at least the optics of the Mueller (Muller?) Russia probe. There's no other reason to act so stupidly and stubbornly other than that MB has something on you.

We all know MB is probably one of the lowest IQ (I'm too deep into this analogy) people in QC, yet he was literally hired to be able speak to its people. MB is just being MB. Molson has also earned the reputation of a clueless fanboy, but he's much much worse than that. When I see him affect that voice and tenor, I lose my mind. F U Geoff. This IS all your fault, but thanks for what will inevitably be craft Molson beers at a higher price, and ice girls from CP.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If not firing your GM means another wasted year, is it worth it? Plus all the moves he may make that takess the ball back even further.

I'd consider reassigning him to scouting (he'd be an expensive scout, I concur) and try and get another team to take him on, maybe the Hawks.

Of course, it's all too easy for us, it's not our money. However, if you're playing at Molson's level, there are a lot of levers you can play with, in order to cushion the blows, which leads me to believe it's not just money that's keeping Bergevin in place.
Not to mention, if Molson just cared about seat filling and making the POs, Bergevin provided Molson with what...3 home games in POs? And a Bell center that looks filled with empty seats and booing fans.
So even if he only cared about the cash, there is enough grounds to fire Bergevin.
I genuinely thinks Bergevin can right the ship.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
There's something weird about all that cap space and not signing Markov and Radulov. It's like they wanted to tank but didn't tell anyone. Things wouldn't have looked much different if they went all tank so...

Then why sign Alzner to that crazy deal? If you really want to tank, you go for short term deals on guys you can trade for futures. And why insist on NOT playing Galchenyuk at center? None of that makes any sense. Bergevin wasn't trying to tank. He just sucks.

Seriously, this team is exactly what Bergevin thought was a winning team. Vets, character, good without the puck. That guy doesn't value skill and speed. Simple as that.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
Molson reactions were the best "Man this guy beside me is an inbred moron".

Molson didn't look much smarter, first his answers were complete stupidity, second and most importantly because he's sticking with this inbred moron and finally because his answer to next year is improving the experience at the Bell, you wont need to improve an experience for non existing fans Geoff, focus on the product not the delivery.

Reactions: dralaf and Runner77

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Then why sign Alzner to that crazy deal? If you really want to tank, you go for short term deals on guys you can trade for futures. And why insist on NOT playing Galchenyuk at center? None of that makes any sense. Bergevin wasn't trying to tank. He just sucks.

Seriously, this team is exactly what Bergevin thought was a winning team. Vets, character, good without the puck. That guy doesn't value skill and speed. Simple as that.

That expression always reminds me of the Dackell-Juneau-Sundstrom line.

They rarely got scored on, but they were god awful offensively.

Most boring line ever. Nothing happens

Reactions: Habs_46

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Molson didn't look much smarter, first his answers were complete stupidity, second and most importantly because he's sticking with this inbred moron and finally because his answer to next year is improving the experience at the Bell, you wont need to improve an experience for non existing fans Geoff, focus on the product not the delivery.

He could have addressed the "fan experience" aspect and "improved food and beverage" thing, separately with season ticket holders, as he did in his letter to them and not invoke it at the presser, where it was likely to become a parody and cheapen the whole process.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Agreed, trying to make Bergevin seem like a puppet master that wanted exactly the results we got this season is just crazy.
To add to what you said, if he wanted to tank then not sure why he would sign his goalie to 8 years and then blast him publicly.
As you said, none of it makes sense.
The guy simply failed to build a good team. He's a disaster not a mastermind.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He was on the Mitch Melnick show yesterday for like 7 minutes. It was a hoot. Basically, he kept saying the buck stopped with him but when they got down to brass tacks & brought up his mistakes he would get defensive and make excuses to justify his move or challenge them to show him what he did wrong. In other words MB's admission that the responsibility lies with him is a charade. He doesn't believe it. It's what PR told him to say but his monstrous ego can't accept constructive criticism. And that's why I think the Habs this upcoming year are going to be even worse. The Idiot doesn't believe any of this is his fault. He 100% knows that it's on the player's and their "bad" attitude. This team is going to finish 31st next year and it ain't even going to be close. The Habs will break all sorts of records when it comes to ineptitude (NOT ATTITUDE)

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
Is it ironic, that MB speaks about character and attitude, and he has no character himself, and is over the top arrogant, dripping with attitude. Blames everyone else, and expects us to look past his mistakes...

Clown.

I listened to the Mitch Melnick interview with him yesterday and you describe MB to a T. I really enjoyed when they brought up centers and he called them Monday morning quarterbacks and then he cut the interview short. He needs to go. What a joke.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/bergevin-our-attitude-was-wrong-from-day-one-1.1052935

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Hahaha maybe. That is the secret plan?!?

They save on cap space to make money like they made the playoffs and “reset” the team without losing a penny.

lol

I wish that someday Julien will release his autobiography and explain how he tanked all year long. "I made Drouin and Chucky play at the wrong position all year. I thought my intentions were clear to everybody. But some fools thought I was trying to win. Bergy and me had some good laughs about it. "

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He was on the Mitch Melnick show yesterday for like 7 minutes. It was a hoot. Basically, he kept saying the buck stopped with him but when they got down to brass tacks & brought up his mistakes he would get defensive and make excuses to justify his move or challenge them to show him what he did wrong. In other words MB's admission that the responsibility lies with him is a charade. He doesn't believe it. It's what PR told him to say but his monstrous ego can't accept constructive criticism. And that's why I think the Habs this upcoming year are going to be even worse. The Idiot doesn't believe any of this is his fault. He 100% knows that it's on the player's and their "bad" attitude. This team is going to finish 31st next year and it ain't even going to be close. The Habs will break all sorts of records when it comes to ineptitude (NOT ATTITUDE)
They were pretty upset to only have him for 7 minutes. I think he cut the supposed time of interview in half, which is ironic given they just made it their point to be more transparent..loll
When Gallo brought up Staal as a center and he started throwing it out his obviously prepared answer, I wish Melnyck would have followed up saying isn't it your job?
Sure, it's tough to get a center and you can't always predict who will bounce back, but when you've been in need of a center for 7 years, you can't miss anymore.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Is that a promise?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
They were pretty upset to only have him for 7 minutes. I think he cut the supposed time of interview in half, which is ironic given they just made it their point to be more transparent..loll
When Gallo brought up Staal as a center and he started throwing it out his obviously prepared answer, I wish Melnyck would have followed up saying isn't it your job?
Sure, it's tough to get a center and you can't always predict who will bounce back, but when you've been in need of a center for 7 years, you can't miss anymore.
Not to mention - be proactive about acquiring one.

I'll give him some benefit of the doubt when it comes to acquiring a center, no doubt it's difficult, especially when teams know you're desperate for one. But 6-7yrs is a very long time, one isn't going to fall in your lap a la Byron waiver claim.

It's going to take an accumulation of assets and some luck - but he had to try to find a way to provoke that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->