OT: Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The Last Boy Scout is a f***ing classic.

Watched it all the time as a kid. My mum wasn’t strict on anything I watched. There was one movie she said I wasn’t allowed to watch. Never ever saw it but I think it was called Last Exit To Brooklyn.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I imagine he is just waiting for the right deal.
Possibly, but the arbitration deals are done, there's a few players that still need to be signed, but there's a fair portion that do need a right handed PMD. But yeah, there's still Vatanen without a job, so there's that too.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Santa Clara County just instituted a 3 week ban of all contact/close proximity sports and a mandatory 2 week quarantine for anyone entering the county after being 150 miles away...

...sooooo....49ers and Sharks probably gonna have to bounce somewhere else, eh?

Reactions: Andy99

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Maybe that individual only watched them play in the Qualifying Round against the Pens? :sarcasm:

Yes, they didn't watch them take it to the Penguins - a team that didn't adjust - and the Flyers - a team that prides itself on getting outshot. Keep in mind, the Habs are so dangerous that they had as many wins as losses last season.

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Going by Friedmen's comments on his most recent 31 Thoughts podcast, the owners are in a really bad spot. The players, though, already gave them a break prior to the RTP.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Going by Friedmen's comments on his most recent 31 Thoughts podcast, the owners are in a really bad spot. The players, though, already gave them a break prior to the RTP.

I mean, the players have the right to be pissed. Can you imagine what the owners would say if the players said they wanted to renegotiate terms of a contract they just agreed to a few months ago? Especially when the entire argument of why the owners get escrow shares is because "they take the risk".

It's frankly complete bullshit what the ownership is doing and none of them are endangering their families lives to play ice hockey.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I mean, the players have the right to be pissed. Can you imagine what the owners would say if the players said they wanted to renegotiate terms of a contract they just agreed to a few months ago? Especially when the entire argument of why the owners get escrow shares is because "they take the risk".

It's frankly complete bullshit what the ownership is doing and none of them are endangering their families lives to play ice hockey.

This is why the owners gave reason to keep all the expansion money too. OK that's fine but you can't have it both ways especially when they already re-negotiated the CBA (during the pandemic mind you) and the owners get 20% escrow this season. Everyone knows that none of that is going back to players this season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
On one hand, I can understand why players don't want to re-negotiate a deal they made only a few months ago. But on the other hand, they look pretty tone deaf by acting "insulted" that the owners want to re-negotiate. You have a ton of people in the world getting sick/dying due to COVID and even more losing their jobs due to it, and you're going to act pissy because owners want to distribute the short term losses more evenly? Get out of here with that. I think the owners asking that is completely reasonable, and either side getting pissy towards the other in this situation looks incredibly tone deaf.

The money is going to even out in the end regardless, the revenue split is going to be 50/50 in the long haul regardless of what it looks like year to year. Any losses the owners get now will be negated out as they're earning more in the future. And the opposite is true with the players, you may be losing less now but you'll be earning less in the future. I'm not going to be sympathetic towards millionaire athletes or billionaire owners, they're all just greedy millionaires/billionaires. If hockey doesn't happen this year, both sides can go f*** themselves :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EightyOne and BHD

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
On one hand, I can understand why players don't want to re-negotiate a deal they made only a few months ago. But on the other hand, they look pretty tone deaf by acting "insulted" that the owners want to re-negotiate. You have a ton of people in the world getting sick/dying due to COVID and even more losing their jobs due to it, and you're going to act pissy because owners want to distribute the short term losses more evenly? Get out of here with that. I think the owners asking that is completely reasonable, and either side getting pissy towards the other in this situation looks incredibly tone deaf.

The money is going to even out in the end regardless, the revenue split is going to be 50/50 in the long haul regardless of what it looks like year to year. Any losses the owners get now will be negated out as they're earning more in the future. And the opposite is true with the players, you may be losing less now but you'll be earning less in the future. I'm not going to be sympathetic towards millionaire athletes or billionaire owners, they're all just greedy millionaires/billionaires. If hockey doesn't happen this year, both sides can go f*** themselves :laugh:

Here is another perspective. Worth a read.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Here is another perspective. Worth a read.

Lol...

I laugh because I didn't think the NHL should have even played with the mickey mouse playoffs it just went through. Now there's this, they can either hold off a few more months, look at really cutting the season down to 48 games and allowing the vaccine to do its thing. If you wait until what, March, you can still have the season with 48 games. You would likely finish the playoffs around August, but then you have a 2nd season with 72 games and start later, it'll then allow the league to really get back on track in Season 2 of this.

MLB had to shorten their season and went through it.
NFL is a mess right now.
NBA is going to be so bad if they start a season before a vaccine is properly introduced.

They force this, the damage will be far worse.

Reactions: EightyOne

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Lol...

I laugh because I didn't think the NHL should have even played with the mickey mouse playoffs it just went through. Now there's this, they can either hold off a few more months, look at really cutting the season down to 48 games and allowing the vaccine to do its thing. If you wait until what, March, you can still have the season with 48 games. You would likely finish the playoffs around August, but then you have a 2nd season with 72 games and start later, it'll then allow the league to really get back on track in Season 2 of this.

MLB had to shorten their season and went through it.
NFL is a mess right now.
NBA is going to be so bad if they start a season before a vaccine is properly introduced.

They force this, the damage will be far worse.

The TV rights pretty much stop the season going beyond July 22nd. NBC have them and their coverage of the Olympics starts July 23rd . Not sure there is a way around that.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The TV rights pretty much stop the season going beyond July 22nd. NBC have them and their coverage of the Olympics starts July 23rd . Not sure there is a way around that.

... You think they're going to hold Olympics, though?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
... You think they're going to hold Olympics, though?

Japan is in a range where they can get to Covid zero. I don’t follow how they are doing things though just that they have time and are within range of getting it done if it’s handled correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad