Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Pigs are flying, and "Capt." Zach Bogosian's name is on the Stanley Cup. :naughty:

yEDR7hv.png
Gotta wonder about Stevie Y. Not that the team was in autopilot but he did say lot to produce that cup and just walked away.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Gotta wonder about Stevie Y. Not that the team was in autopilot but he did say lot to produce that cup and just walked away.

I keep thinking that as well - it's a shame he didn't just stay a bit longer after he did so much.

On the contrary, perhaps he was satisfied to retire from hockey at the peak of his prowess?

Steve never moved to Tampa. He always kept his home in Michigan. He is close with Ken Holland so I think he was just learning the craft and developing in Tampa but he was always the heir apparent in Detroit.

I know Detroit is a shite hole but Michigan is a beautiful state.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Steve never moved to Tampa. He always kept his home in Michigan. He is close with Ken Holland so I think he was just learning the craft and developing in Tampa but he was always the heir apparent in Detroit.

I know Detroit is a shite hole but Michigan is a beautiful state.

Yeah I think it's great he was able to rejoin the Wings, it's just too bad that he basically built a Stanley Cup winner but didn't get to win with them

Reactions: ps241

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Interesting stuff, to me the NHL has 2 major issues when compared to the NFL. One is the NHL has Canadian teams with a closed border and 2 the NHL needs fans in the stands to make some money. This isn't going to be easy that's for sure.

Yeah, I would be curious to know what teams would rather not play at all than play without fans.

Reactions: Jets 31

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
speaking of Stevie Y and Detroit

nice contract for the Wings. Lock Mantha during his prime years at 5.7M. Deal ends when he's 30.

Good one for you Stevie & Det org! He's a definite cornerstone piece to their future, as long as the turn around is not still starting after Mantha's 4 year term is up!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
2 years $10m for Pulock in NYI. They still need to move money for Barzal.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
2 years $10m for Pulock in NYI. They still need to move money for Barzal.

Walks him right to UFA as soon as possible. Here is a good example of why you don't sign a bunch of depth players to big money deals like Lou did.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Walks him right to UFA as soon as possible. Here is a good example of why you don't sign a bunch of depth players to big money deals like Lou did.

What depth players for big money are you thinking of?

The contracts that are hurting them now are Ladd's and Boychuk's. Neither was a depth player. Both were signed for too long at too old an age. And both were signed before Lou. Not to mention that both were made buyout proof by bonus payments.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What depth players for big money are you thinking of?

The contracts that are hurting them now are Ladd's and Boychuk's. Neither was a depth player. Both were signed for too long at too old an age. And both were signed before Lou. Not to mention that both were made buyout proof by bonus payments.

Komerov, Pageau and Eberle come to mind.

Pageau is making $5 million to be a 3C, Komerov is making $3 million to be a fourth liner. Eberle is a bad contract to an aging mediocre second line player.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Pageau is making $5 million to be a 3C, Komerov is making $3 million to be a fourth liner. Eberle is a bad contract to an aging mediocre second line player.

Eberle is not a depth player. He scored at a 56 pt pace this year. I have little doubt that the last year or two of that contract will hurt also.

IDK what they were thinking with Pageau. I'm sure they would like to move Komarov's contract, but it is not their problem.

If they could somehow get out of the Ladd and Boychuk contracts, they wouldn't have a problem. Those 2 were obviously too long when they were signed. The bonus provisions made them hard to move even if the players performances hadn't collapsed like they did. So bad contracts from the start. NYI position does not support your theory that overpaying depth players is the cause of cap issues, IMO. More like big contracts to aging players is the problem. Especially when those players have already shown early signs of aging out. The only depth player there is Komarov and a single 3 mil contract doesn't destroy the cap structure.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Winnipeg Jets superstar Mark Scheifele says he's fully recovered from the leg injury that derailed his postseason.

"I'm 100 percent, no question," Scheifele told NHL.com's Tim Campbell. "Skating every day. I don't know anyone who skates more than I do. I love being on the ice. That's my No. 1 thing. I get on the ice as much as I can."

Clearly a shot at Laine, who focuses more on off-ice training.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Pageau is a good deal, Komarov too much but Lou loves him, Eberle aging poorly but not awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->