News Article: Around the NHL

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Anyone see the highlights of the Sharks-Caps game? It was like an 80s style NHL shootout with tons of back & forth chances & not much D. Plus a player on each team had a Hat Trick.

Unfortunately, Evander Kane tied the score at 6 just as time expired & the Sharks won in OT. :thumbd:

Reactions: Nevada Jones

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Anyone see the highlights of the Sharks-Caps game? It was like an 80s style NHL shootout with tons of back & forth chances & not much D. Plus a player on each team had a Hat Trick.

Unfortunately, Evander Kane tied the score at 6 just as time expired & the Sharks won in OT. :thumbd:
Didn't catch it.... can't like 20 teams shut out the sharks 5-0?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Sharks scored 12 seconds in and tied it up with 1 second left in regulation.

WRT Oilers GM firing....

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Hopefully not, McCrimmon will become a GM at some stage... but the flames fan in me doesn't want it to be with the Oilers.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Hopefully not, McCrimmon will become a GM at some stage... but the flames fan in me doesn't want it to be with the Oilers.

It could be a good thing for George short term if Kelly were in EDM. There are some things they'll be needing to blow up over there.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'd rather him in Seattle than Edmonton
Disagree. Another team's GM doesn't really have an impact on the Knights much. Unless the guy that helped us do what we did goes to Seattle and takes away the little advantage we have for that expansion draft. Let him try to fix Edmonton, good luck.

I personally hope he stays, pay him some money and keep him around Vegas. He passed up AGM in Toronto prior to coming to Vegas, perhaps he likes the heat.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Disagree. Another team's GM doesn't really have an impact on the Knights much. Unless the guy that helped us do what we did goes to Seattle and takes away the little advantage we have for that expansion draft. Let him try to fix Edmonton, good luck.

I personally hope he stays, pay him some money and keep him around Vegas. He passed up AGM in Toronto prior to coming to Vegas, perhaps he likes the heat.

I agree with your thoughts, but if you are him why would you stay in Vegas? GMGM isn't going anywhere soon. He's got a good opportunity to build up a farm system, but almost seems better to take one that's already stocked and shake it up. The contract situation is so bad there right now there isn't much you can do with the main club other than pray someone takes overpriced talent off your hands. He's not going to be signing much for awhile, just roster filler at lower prices. Basically the right moves there are just to bide your time, don't make deals (which got past GMs in trouble) and lets some young kids get up to main club after the trade deadline and see who you roll with next year.

Seattle is not as attractive IMO unless he thinks he saw some things that could have been done even better. But really, how do you top what VGK did? Its impossible and yet that's the bar he will have. Chances are it goes back to being close to what we all thought an expansion club would be and if it does people will be questioning if he was in the room with VGK, why couldn't he do something at least close to that here?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I agree with your thoughts, but if you are him why would you stay in Vegas? GMGM isn't going anywhere soon. He's got a good opportunity to build up a farm system, but almost seems better to take one that's already stocked and shake it up. The contract situation is so bad there right now there isn't much you can do with the main club other than pray someone takes overpriced talent off your hands. He's not going to be signing much for awhile, just roster filler at lower prices. Basically the right moves there are just to bide your time, don't make deals (which got past GMs in trouble) and lets some young kids get up to main club after the trade deadline and see who you roll with next year.

Seattle is not as attractive IMO unless he thinks he saw some things that could have been done even better. But really, how do you top what VGK did? Its impossible and yet that's the bar he will have. Chances are it goes back to being close to what we all thought an expansion club would be and if it does people will be questioning if he was in the room with VGK, why couldn't he do something at least close to that here?
Some people just like Las Vegas, especially on a schedule like the NHL where you can skip town for summer and go hang out on some lake in Canada. Dude's spent most of his life in cold places.

Sometimes people want to by the guy, other people like to be the guy that the guy counts on. If you're the latter and you're in Las Vegas, it might make sense to stay. McCrimmon's got some money and money goes a long way in Las Vegas compared to a lot of other places.

For the reasons you say, Edmonton scares me if I want to be the guy. Add in the fact that Edmonton is Edmonton and it seems worse. Plus, you're competing against yourself in Seattle and anything less than a conference championship is kind of a failure. He passed up an AGM position in Toronto and came to Las Vegas instead, perhaps there's something else at work here.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
It would be an achievement to see Edmonton in the playoffs, but to see them actually succeeding? They have all the right pieces, but they don't even look like a team. When you have no team spirit you are nothing.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It would be an achievement to see Edmonton in the playoffs, but to see them actually succeeding? They have all the right pieces, but they don't even look like a team. When you have no team spirit you are nothing.
I remember the Flames were struggling up to the game where Hamonic stood up for Dube, and got killed by Guddy. After that fight the Flames have been a real team, and on a role. The Oilers don't have that same aura about them, where they appear to trust one another to stand up for them. Yes, the have some tough guys, but will the top players (like Hamonic) stand up for one another? I like how our guys stood up for Petey in the last Florida game. We are a team now. The Oilers are not a team.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
All right well...it may be time to listen to @MordedGK on Panarin. Dude is as available as available gets IMO. Nabbing him would be huge in trying to get Gusev to come over.

Though on the other hand, trying to afford his next contract might be problematic.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
All right well...it may be time to listen to @MordedGK on Panarin. Dude is as available as available gets IMO. Nabbing him would be huge in trying to get Gusev to come over.

Though on the other hand, trying to afford his next contract might be problematic.

If we can swing the deal without Glass and Brannstrom being in the deal I say go for it. As long as he is willing to sign a deal here.

Too bad Smith is injured, we may have used him. 50-60 point, two way forward with leadership signed for more years at a good cap hit could have been the start of a decent package for a rental.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
If we can swing the deal without Glass and Brannstrom being in the deal I say go for it. As long as he is willing to sign a deal here.

Too bad Smith is injured, we may have used him. 50-60 point, two way forward with leadership signed for more years at a good cap hit could have been the start of a decent package for a rental.
You want to trade Smith for a 4 month rental?

Reactions: Boris Zubov

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Three key decisions holding up NHL trade deadline dominos - Sportsnet.ca

Meanwhile, [Edmonton Oilers] CEO Bob Nicholson is making it very clear he will take his time on a GM search. Four years ago, he hired Peter Chiarelli nine days after Chiarelli’d been fired in Boston. At the time, it was a sensible play, but what eventually occurred changes things in 2019. Plus, it is unlikely Vegas would give assistant GM Kelly McCrimmon permission to leave at this point of the season, and he’s high on the list of candidates to be interviewed.

So, when might VGK allow him to go? After the draft? (Definitely before the organization puts its draft eligible list together as they would not want to "give" Edmonton that intell.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad