News Article: Around the NHL

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
We paid a prime prospect for Stone. Yotes paid 3 prospects who are projected to be depth guys if they even make the NHL, and a late 1st. We paid more than they did, I'd happily replace Branny in that trade with Bouchard, Whitecloud, Kolesar, & a 1st.

Absolutely disagree we paid more. I don't think Bouchard, Whitecloud and Kolesar are the prospects I would compare that they paid.

Brannstrom is in the AHL now after disappointing in the NHL, even on the Senators. He still can be a very good defenseman someday but it's probably more middle pairing than top pairing defenseman.

The 1st is worth as much as Brannstrom. Bahl is a pretty good prospect who shouldn't be considered all that much less than Brannstrom at this point. Merkley is a project but not valueless.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Are you really comparing the Hall and Stone trades.

Stone came with an extension.

Hall is most likely going to hit free agency.

Of ****ing course the Devils will get less.

I compared them for us and he was responding to me, so there's nothing to get up in arms about that.

But we paid less than they did for an unextended Hall. I contend that wholeheartedly.

1st-Brannstrom
3rd, Merkley-2nd, Lindberg

Then Bahl is the extra they paid, who is the second best part of the deal for the Devils. Hague-esque 19 year old, though not quite the pedigree.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Absolutely disagree we paid more. I don't think Bouchard, Whitecloud and Kolesar are the prospects I would compare that they paid.

Brannstrom is in the AHL now after disappointing in the NHL, even on the Senators. He still can be a very good defenseman someday but it's probably more middle pairing than top pairing defenseman.

The 1st is worth as much as Brannstrom. Bahl is a pretty good prospect who shouldn't be considered all that much less than Brannstrom at this point. Merkley is a project but not valueless.
I have no words.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I compared them for us and he was responding to me, so there's nothing to get up in arms about that.

But we paid less than they did for an unextended Hall. I contend that wholeheartedly.

1st-Brannstrom
3rd, Merkley-2nd, Lindberg

Then Bahl is the extra they paid, who is the second best part of the deal for the Devils. Hague-esque 19 year old, though not quite the pedigree.

You do have some pretty rose colored glasses on. Anyways it's silly to try to compare trades, whole different situations for much different players. Hall is pretty much the only thing the Coyotes don't have, a grade A scorer with pedigree. Especially now that Kessel has been exposed for what the underlying analytics said he is two years ago, a declining winger who feasts only on PP time and gets his team in trouble in 5v5 time.

Yeah it comes with no guarantees, but I think they figure they have a better than 25% chance of signing him before hitting the market. I could see it happen, lots of players would sign there as long as the team is competitive and they have plenty of cap space to use.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
You do have some pretty rose colored glasses on. Anyways it's silly to try to compare trades, whole different situations for much different players. Hall is pretty much the only thing the Coyotes don't have, a grade A scorer with pedigree. Especially now that Kessel has been exposed for what the underlying analytics said he is two years ago, a declining winger who feasts only on PP time and gets his team in trouble in 5v5 time.

Yeah it comes with no guarantees, but I think they figure they have a better than 25% chance of signing him before hitting the market. I could see it happen, lots of players would sign there as long as the team is competitive and they have plenty of cap space to use.

The 1st is most likely a 20-25 in a deep draft. Brannstrom was 15 and struggled mightily in the NHL this year. Merkley is worth more than Lindberg because GM's care about that potential, about enough to exchange an 80th for 50th. And Bahl is 6'6" and a good hockey player on Canada's WJC lineup. And you can't teach size.

As far as Hall himself, he has some injury history but he puts up points as a winger (only surpassed 65 points twice in his career and 27 goals once though) but doesn't do much else. I don't think he's the type of player who helps you to be a good playoff team. Very opposite to Stone.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The 1st is most likely a 20-25 in a deep draft. Brannstrom was 15 and struggled mightily in the NHL this year. Merkley is worth more than Lindberg because GM's care about that potential, about enough to exchange an 80th for 50th. And Bahl is 6'6" and a good hockey player on Canada's WJC lineup. And you can't teach size.

As far as Hall himself, he has some injury history but he puts up points as a winger (only surpassed 65 points twice in his career and 27 goals once though) but doesn't do much else. I don't think he's the type of player who helps you to be a good playoff team. Very opposite to Stone.

Yeah MVPs don't do much. The guy has been on bad teams and been above average playing against the best competition.

I get it you want to turn this into a pro VGK angle, but it's hard to say this trade doesn't make our division leading rival more formidable.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yeah MVPs don't do much. The guy has been on bad teams and been above average playing against the best competition.

I get it you want to turn this into a pro VGK angle, but it's hard to say this trade doesn't make our division leading rival more formidable.

I haven't said anything about the division race this season, just saying they paid too much for a rental winger that I don't think warrants it and I'm much happier with our trade for a better winger that we re-signed.

His win was the weakest MVP year in over a decade and you'll still find people who say someone else should have won. But regardless of a career year, he isn't that player right now, even in Devils fans view. He's a solid addition, not taking the trade in account, and they're better for one season but they still aren't a team that a real contender (have never called us a real contender this season) will worry about.

My opinion about the division? The Coyotes have been buoyed by remarkable goaltending that will even itself. We are still a better team and I'm not that concerned with them as they stand now, especially in the playoffs, from our angle.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
We would struggle to score against the Coyotes in a hypothetical playoff series. I’d just hope that we are on the right end of the 1-0 and 2-1 scores, which are games they would be more used to playing.

But I would be more concerned if we can’t pass them in the standings as that would mean we just aren’t that good. Still plenty of time left in the season.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Not here to stir ****, but Suzuki is looking like he has some real potential in this league. Our best young player in a long, long time.

Not a big surprise. I compared him to Toews a few years ago.

They moved the wrong prospects for the wrong players, but in the end it still works out to
Stone+Pacioretty
for
Brannstrom, Suzuki, 1st, 2 2nds, 3rd

Thank god for Dorion.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Not a big surprise. I compared him to Toews a few years ago.

They moved the wrong prospects for the wrong players, but in the end it still works out to
Stone+Pacioretty
for
Brannstrom, Suzuki, 1st, 2 2nds, 3rd

Thank god for Dorion.

I think it's 3 2nds. One in the Stone trade, one in the Pacioretty trade, one in the Tatar trade.

So, 3 1sts, 3 2nds and a 3rd for Stone and Pacioretty.

Reactions: CupInSIX

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Poile just had his 'GOAT GM' Hfboards award rescinded.

Meanwhile the McPhee built Capitals are still thriving under his successor and friend Maclellan, and Ottawa is poised for a solid rebuild.

Also VGK is OK and will be for years to come but I'm biased.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Poile just had his 'GOAT GM' Hfboards award rescinded.

Meanwhile the McPhee built Capitals are still thriving under his successor and friend Maclellan, and Ottawa is poised for a solid rebuild.

Also VGK is OK and will be for years to come but I'm biased.

I thought Sakic was the GOAT GM du jour....

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The Preds record at this point is just shocking. But its just a bad season to this point and they could very well pull a Blues and be unstoppable by playoff time. I don't get judging the GM on how a team does halfway through the overly long and mostly unimportant regular season. Same goes for this board and how people get depressed over losing stretches and act like this should be the first team in history to play above its potential 82 games this season and in every playoff game.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
The Preds record at this point is just shocking. But its just a bad season to this point and they could very well pull a Blues and be unstoppable by playoff time. I don't get judging the GM on how a team does halfway through the overly long and mostly unimportant regular season. Same goes for this board and how people get depressed over losing stretches and act like this should be the first team in history to play above its potential 82 games this season and in every playoff game.
We were spoiled when VGK played above its potential in year 1.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad