News Article: Around the NHL

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Trouba got a 1st and Pionk. What does that mean for Miller's value?

If they're smart and hold on to him after July 1st, I don't think his value is affected at all. Myers might be re-signed. TBay might re-sign Stralman. Gudas just got traded. Miller is the best RHD value option by far after Stralman is gone.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Braun for a high 2nd and a 3rd to Philadelphia. He was lousy for the Sharks this year, so there's still a lot of value for low cap RHD - especially with term.

The McGMs must have been asking a lot for Miller. Hopefully...

It's looking more and more like Miller to Toronto. They already traded most of their better assets they were willing to part with and they don't have much in the way of young RH dmen. Maybe Ian Scott and Gauthier (to be 13th forward) plus a small something...

I really like Bastian from NJ and prospect Walsh though.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
We need a top 2 LD to play with Weber, and we have the cap space to take a contract from you

I would trade Karlsson or even Marchessault way before i even think about trading Theodore.

So nope.

He is an untouchable in my books.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Brett Lernout didn't get a qualifying offer. Big RHD, might be worth a contract.

Edit: most important thing: Manitoba boy.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Seattle's AHL affiliate application has been submitted, for Palm Springs. (New $250m 10k+ arena to be built on tribal lands)

Could increase (long term) pressure on VGK to relocate their affiliate from Chicago.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Joe Pavelski looks to be moving on from San Jose. Everyone talks about VGK's cap problems, but it's not even year 1 into that monster Erik Karlsson deal and it's cost them their captain.

Pierre McGuire said the other day the EK signing caught a lot of the San Jose players off-guard. Pavelski is probably miffed they spent all that money on the new guy and didn't leave much for him and the other UFAs.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The only UFA the Sharks (probably) will re-sign is Thornton. They also may sign Marleau. Nyquist may walk. (Might be handful of UFA guys signed for AHL depth.) Sharks traded Braun for cap relief; and RFA without waiver exemption for expiring UFA contract and pick.

Two RFAs of concern: Meier and Labanc

There has been some media speculation either or both might be candidates for an offer sheet. (But even if a team makes an offer, the player has to sign it.)

With only $2m increase in cap, definitely more teams concerned with where they stack up against cap.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
The only UFA the Sharks (probably) will re-sign is Thornton. They also may sign Marleau. Nyquist may walk. (Might be handful of UFA guys signed for AHL depth.) Sharks traded Braun for cap relief; and RFA without waiver exemption for expiring UFA contract and pick.

Two RFAs of concern: Meier and Labanc

There has been some media speculation either or both might be candidates for an offer sheet. (But even if a team makes an offer, the player has to sign it.)

With only $2m increase in cap, definitely more teams concerned with where they stack up against cap.

You mean Vegas and Toronto are not the only teams worried? That goes against the narrative.

Reactions: LadyStanley

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Sounds like some retained salary too

Neal getting new start

Amazing some of the comments you hear about Neal from Flames fans, such the opposite of his one year in Vegas. They talk about how he loses every puck and board battle and goes out of his way to avoid them. Sounds like he became the prototype for the player who gets paid one last time and then starts cruising through.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
All Neal is is a shot but he can get 30 goals perhaps playing with McDavid. I know Neal sucked in Calgary but Lucic????

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
All Neal is is a shot but he can get 30 goals perhaps playing with McDavid. I know Neal sucked in Calgary but Lucic????

He just hasn't been the same player since Jan 2018. He was a scoring machine until that hand/wrist injury, then he seemed to be in a fog after getting his bell rung by Byfuglien.

Perron bounced back from his concussion, even talked about potentially retiring last season before he won the Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad