Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlonce

Mar 25, 2012
No kidding. Looks like some elbow. Head principle point of contact. No effort to let up. Drives head into glass. Drives UP with the hit, which is a nono.

So he'll get a fine.

edit: watched other angles, not as bad as it looked from the gif. But he got a LOT of head with that hit.

Scotts "elbow" was a product of his height, nothing more, nothing less. He shouldn't have been suspended. Now, I agree that real elbows to the head, actual premeditated elbows should be dealt with but the league and fan base has gone way overboard with borderline hits.

Everyone is up in arms all of a sudden. It is silly. It's a rough sport. One guy wants someone's head decapitated because the guy behind Stamkos checked him and he broke his leg. Imagine years ago when the net wasn't on stationary posts.No one ever was suspended, rarely. What is wrong with people?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@JSportsnet

Can confirm that Leafs' Kadri will have a hearing this afternoon for the collision with Wild goalie Backstrom.

@JSportsnet

And for those asking...it will be a phone hearing, for Kadri with the NHL Player Safety group.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Kadri hearing with NHL at 1 pm ET for hitting Backstrom. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=691476

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Scotts "elbow" was a product of his height, nothing more, nothing less. He shouldn't have been suspended. Now, I agree that real elbows to the head, actual premeditated elbows should be dealt with but the league and fan base has gone way overboard with borderline hits.

Everyone is up in arms all of a sudden. It is silly. It's a rough sport. One guy wants someone's head decapitated because the guy behind Stamkos checked him and he broke his leg. Imagine years ago when the net wasn't on stationary posts.No one ever was suspended, rarely. What is wrong with people?

In regards to head hits? The players and the league are trying to eliminate hits to the head to prolong the longevity of the players and by extension their product. Gone are the days of "getting your bell rung" and going back out for your next shift because the knowledge of what happens to the brain when it gets injured - and then reinjured - has expanded. They know this causes quality of life issues for players, and not just old players.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/13/ruff-comments-on-fiddler-trade-rumors/

We wrote a post yesterday about the trade speculation concerning Dallas Stars center (and noted Kevin Bieksa impersonator) Vern Fiddler.

Today, Stars coach Lindy Ruff spoke about his reportedly unhappy player.

“I’ve had conversations with Vern with where he is at, and where he was at last year. Those conversations are between the coach and the player,†Ruff said, per the Dallas Morning News. “It wouldn’t be fair for me to address the rumors, but I can tell you we have had conversations on where I see his role, where it’s going to end up, or where it is going to try to end up, and those have been real good conversations with Vern.â€

It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/13/blues-bump-roy-down-to-fourth-line/

St. Louis Blues center Derek Roy now finds himself on the left wing – and worse yet, on the fourth line – thanks to his recent struggles, as the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.

The 30-year-old seems to understand the assignment, saying “I just need to keep working.†Playing on the wing is an adjustment, though, no doubt.

“It’s tough when you get pucks to the wall, when you’re not used to getting them,†Roy said. “Guys are barreling on you and coming with speed. Those little things, I’ve just got to get better at. It takes a while, but there’s no excue. I’ve got to play better.â€

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I grew up playing football (a rough sport) under coaches that demanded hard work in practice, full effort on the field, and respect for coaches, refs and opponents. This was back in the 80's before the "trophy for everyone" generation. Our teams were known for tough defense and taking over in the 4th qtr when other teams ran out of gas. We were taught to hit hard, but to play fair, no cheap shots, and no garbage between the whistles. It didn't matter what a ref saw or if he threw a flag, if someone pulled a stunt the coach yanked him out.

There's a clear difference between playing tough and playing cheap, at least to me it's very clear. What's wrong with people? It's not knowing the difference between playing hard, and respecting your opponent.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
In regards to head hits? The players and the league are trying to eliminate hits to the head to prolong the longevity of the players and by extension their product. Gone are the days of "getting your bell rung" and going back out for your next shift because the knowledge of what happens to the brain when it gets injured - and then reinjured - has expanded. They know this causes quality of life issues for players, and not just old players.

Yep. Right or wrong, our opinions and view on what should get suspensions and what should not is framed by the movement to remove head hits from the game. To ignore that and say none of these hits should get suspensions is a pretty stubborn stance to take. The league has a clear directive because of new knowledge of what kind of damage concussions do. You can ignore that, but that makes you ignorant.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder if the Oil were serious about improving their defense, would they consider making a bid on Kulikov from Florida if he is actually available as McKenzie indicated.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
And Kadri's hit on Granlund was Lindros-esque. Gotta get the gloves tucked into your neck/chest area so you can drive your check's head into the glass.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
How can it be only 3 games for 2 suspendable infractions in the same game? Running the goalie wasn't even the play that got him the game misconduct/hearing.

Does Kadri have a history of suspendable hits like Kaleta?

Granted I agree Shanaban does seem to have a passion for punishment for the Sabres.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Does Kadri have a history of suspendable hits like Kaleta?

Granted I agree Shanaban does seem to have a passion for punishment for the Sabres.

A dangerous, unneccessary elbow to the head of an unsuspecting, vunerable player for a first time offender? Seems that is a 7-gamer at this point if the blunt tool, err Shanahan had any consistency.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Maple Leafs' Kadri suspended three games:
NEW YORK – Toronto Maple Leafs forward Nazem Kadri has been suspended for three games, without pay, for interference with Minnesota Wild goaltender Niklas Backstrom during NHL Game No. 274 in Minnesota on Wednesday, Nov. 13, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 7:07 of the first period. Kadri received a minor penalty for goaltender interference.
[nhl]484481[/nhl]

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So three games for the hit on Backstrom but no games for the hit that got him ejected from the game .... Interesting.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I think its funny the NHL thinks the videos on why players are suspended are worth doing. I went back and watched a lot of these.

My favorite of all time is still the Duncan Keith suspension video from last years playoffs. Shanahan said Kieth responds to Carter's slash with a one handed upwards swing with the bade of his stick to Carters face causing 20 stitches and damage to teeth. He also says at one point that Keith is a repeat offender. Then he drops the suspension of 1 game.

I had a good laugh with that one. I mean the NHL is such a joke with these videos, makes it even worse.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
A dangerous, unneccessary elbow to the head of an unsuspecting, vunerable player for a first time offender? Seems that is a 7-gamer at this point if the blunt tool, err Shanahan had any consistency.

The initial contact was shoulder on shoulder, which is all the NHL cares about apparently. I guess the fact that Granlund's head was driven into the glass with violent force by the forearm of Kadri is completely irrelevant.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
The initial contact was shoulder on shoulder, which is all the NHL cares about apparently. I guess the fact that Granlund's head was driven into the glass with violent force by the forearm of Kadri is completely irrelevant.

I'll never understand how the NHL dispenses punishment, but, I think in the NHL's non-infinite wisdom the ability to put up points has an inverse effect on a player's suspendability. Not that Kadri's a star by any stretch, its just that he's not one of Burke's knuckle dragging troglodytes seemingly in place to dispense ersatz truculence.

3 seems too little as Kadri was playing like a complete moron on the reckless hits to both Granlund and Backstrom. I think a suspension of between 5-7 games would have been more than fair.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@GeorgeRichards

#FlaPanthers have traded Kris Versteeg back to the Chicago Blackhawks

@mirtle

Full trade: Kris Versteeg and Phillippe Lefebrve to Chicago for Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Panthers stripping down. It'll be difficult to out-tank them.

That's definitely how I felt going into the season. It sure seemed like Florida and Calgary would make it hard on us to finish last, especially if we didn't move Vanek and Miller until the deadline. Now it seems like that might start coming to fruition a bit if we get the typical New Coach bump. I wouldn't be surprised if we finish, say, 27th or 28th.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad