Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I wish there were separate positions in management of a team. One for drafting, one for signing existing players and rookies to contracts, and one for making trades. That way we would be able to keep Darcy just for how amazing he is with trades. I would of hated to see a trade similar to the one the Oilers just did. We really never have to worry ourselves with getting ripped off with trades like some other teams fans do.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
Vanek injury is why I was glad Darcy made a quick move. I want to believe he knew Vanek could get injured like he always does.

Yup. Definitely the most underrated aspect of that deal.

Something else I noticed about the trade... records since the deal:

Sabres: 1-5 (one SO win)
Islanders: 2-5 (one SO win)

Obviously, the purpose of the deal for each side wasn't a 7-8 game sample size immediately following the trade. Just thought it was interesting.

Deevo

Jul 25, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I'm going to be pretty bummed if we don't get to see Stammer in a Team Canada jersey.. Looks like a likely scenario after seeing the video. Aghh, such a shame for him, and for the Lightning who were looking great in the East.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Marty Biron is joining MSG as an analyst. I wonder if he will do any Sabres games or just Rangers?

LS: Looks like just Rangers games according to this info from an article on BlueshirtsUnited.com -

Upon retiring from the National Hockey League a few weeks ago, the question was not if, but when, Martin Biron would begin his broadcasting career. That question was answered on Monday when MSG Network announced that the popular and affable Biron would serve as a studio analyst for select Rangers broadcasts this season, beginning with tomorrow's game against the Devils at Madison Square Garden.

In addition to his pre-game, between-periods, and post-game studio work on Rangers broadcasts, Biron will join the weekly MSG Broadcast of Hockey Night Live from time to time. Former Rangers forward Anson Carter, who has already made his MSG Network debut this season, is serving in a similar role as Biron as the pair join network mainstays Ron Duguay, Al Trautwig, and Bill Pidto.

LS: Maybe MSG-New York will allow Biron to work the MSG-Buffalo broadcasts when the Sabres host the Rangers on Thursday, December 5 and play at the Rangers on Thursday, April 10. You could have Biron in the booth with Rick or Dan or down between the benches. Ray would do the other job. Congrats Biron! - wish it was with MSG-Buffalo though. At least hes part of the family although its more like hes a cousin instead of a son.

Last edited:

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Stamkos is down in Boston with a leg injury after crashing into the goal post. Being stretchered off the ice.

Not good at all.
821186597.gif

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Looks like either he ripped something in the knee with the way it bounced back so hard, or else (I think more likely) might have fractured the shinbone.

The shinbone is probably what you prefer in those situations, since the knee never fully heals in a lot of circumstances.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Oh look, Boston's Hamilton giving Stamkos a gentle nudge from behind into the net. Must be nice for a franchise to operate with impunity around the league.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Oh man….. that's a Joe Theissman ugly type of injury the way his lower leg snaps back…..

I'd like to find out what brand and model of shin pads he's wearing so I can make sure I never own a pair.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Oh look, Boston's Hamilton giving Stamkos a gentle nudge from behind into the net. Must be nice for a franchise to operate with impunity around the league.

I'm no Leaf fan but I thought they got a raw deal from the ref's vs Boston the other night. I can appreciate Boston being a physical team but I saw a lot of really dangerous hits made on TO players in that game by the Bruins with no calls made.

Kadri really got clocked in the corner. And our good friend Chara got away with an in ordinate amount of his usual crap…..

There might be something to this protection racket that the Bruins have going with the league.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Please be quiet. That's a routine play that happens all of the time. Just a freak thing for him to slide in like that.

He likely wont be able to start skating again until the end of March at the earliest best case scenario. Be interesting to see if they try to fill the void from within as they have a ton of great young players on the outside or if they look to trade.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
Please be quiet. That's a routine play that happens all of the time. Just a freak thing for him to slide in like that.

He likely wont be able to start skating again until the end of March at the earliest best case scenario. Be interesting to see if they try to fill the void from within as they have a ton of great young players on the outside or if they look to trade.

I wonder what Yzerman will do? I think this season there is a necessity for the Lightning to make the playoffs or else Yzerman's job might be in jeopardy. He can afford to wait some games to see if players on the roster/ a call-up can somewhat fill the large gaping void of Stamkos' absence before pursuing any trades.

I guess this means Filppula slides into 1st line centre duty, Martin St. Louis will need to forget that he's 38 and both Panik and Connolly will need to be more productive. Which one of Namestnikov or Kucherov is the more NHL ready?

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Doesn't make it any less scumy. It's always bothered me the way defenseman will think nothing of taking a guy into the goalpost like that. The potential for a serious injury is always there when you do that to a guy. I don't think Hamilton wanted to break Stamkos' leg, but much like that ****** hit Chara threw on Max Pac it just shows the lack of respect these players show for one another.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005

Nothing freaky about being tied up from behind, having your legs kicked out from under you, and being driven towards your goalie/net.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Doesn't make it any less scumy. It's always bothered me the way defenseman will think nothing of taking a guy into the goalpost like that. The potential for a serious injury is always there when you do that to a guy. I don't think Hamilton wanted to break Stamkos' leg, but much like that ****** hit Chara threw on Max Pac it just shows the lack of respect these players show for one another.

I don't view it as scummy. The defenseman is trying to tail and tie up a guy who's charging his crease. If he doesn't engage the guy physically, he's letting him in a dangerous area for free. But coming from behind, it's hard to play him physically in a way that doesn't tend to push him into the net.

I don't know exactly how you want defensemen to play forwards like that, unless it's to let them get in and have first grabs at any puck thrown that way while they try to recover position. You could make an argument for that, actually. It just might not be popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad