Around the NHL XXXVI - Final Countdown: 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I'll never get tired of talking about Zibanejad's accomplishments on this board. Just another example of the clueless Sens front office valuing some fake "intangible" over skill. The guy was always going to take a while to bloom into the player he is today, but of course management didn't have the foresight for that and dumped him the first chance they got to bring back a local guy.

I'm pretty sure that move was almost 100% financially motivated. Sure we preferred a LHS, and maybe we were disillusioned with Zib a bit. But the re-up probably scared Melnyk shirtless and this was the time to move him before he got paid. In return the got the perfect player. Someone who is paid less than the cap hit. If we were moving on from Zib, why not try to upgrade in a big way? I mean Brassard at the time was just a minor upgrade.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Zibanejad for Brassard is basically the Ottawa version of Seguin for Eriksson

That trade is really gaining momentum in the race for worst in franchise history. Zbad + 2018 33rd overall pick

No, not really.

They received Derek Brassard in that deal, whom they eventually traded to Pittsburgh, and ended up with (after you follow all the threads in the two deals) Filip Gustavsson, Nick Moutrey, Jacob Bernard-Docker, Luke Loheit, a 2019 3rd rounder, and a 2020 3rd rounder.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
No, not really.

They received Derek Brassard in that deal, whom they eventually traded to Pittsburgh, and ended up with (after you follow all the threads in the two deals) Filip Gustavsson, Nick Moutrey, Jacob Bernard-Docker, Luke Loheit, a 2019 3rd rounder, and a 2020 3rd rounder.

The post was about the zib for brass trade. You are talking about a bunch of different trades.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I was never a Zib fan, but can admit it looks like I was wrong about the guy. Seems like he is growing into his own now.
The amount of time I spent posting about zib after the terrible trade trying to convince people that he was better and will be better than brassard....oh man.
Time and frustration I will never get back.
I’d be a millionaire by now if all my bets for my house and all my possessions were taken seriously.

The things people argue on here. From Lehner to tkachuk to Ryan to zibanejad to Dorion, Murray, melnyk, coaches, organizational competence, etc.

Such obvious things, such incorrect evaluations.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The amount of time I spent posting about zib after the terrible trade trying to convince people that he was better and will be better than brassard....oh man.
Time and frustration I will never get back.
I’d be a millionaire by now if all my bets for my house and all my possessions were taken seriously.

The things people argue on here. From Lehner to tkachuk to Ryan to zibanejad to Dorion, Murray, melnyk, coaches, organizational competence, etc.

Such obvious things, such incorrect evaluations.

That's the most infuriating part. Zib was better than Brassard from the moment the trade happened. Brassard never reached the heights here that he did in NY and Zib took a step forward as soon as he started playing games for the Rangers.

People love to talk about how we "got the better player", but that's simply not true. Zibanejad outscored (outpaced for those who want to get technical) Brassard every year since that trade has gone down.

That trade never made any sense (other than financial I suppose, but even then, it was shortsighted of the organization to not lock this guy into a ~$5.5 million deal and watch him outproduce his salary).

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
That's the most infuriating part. Zib was better than Brassard from the moment the trade happened. Brassard never reached the heights here that he did in NY and Zib took a step forward as soon as he started playing games for the Rangers.

People love to talk about how we "got the better player", but that's simply not true. Zibanejad outscored (outpaced for those who want to get technical) Brassard every year since that trade has gone down.

That trade never made any sense (other than financial I suppose, but even then, it was shortsighted of the organization to not lock this guy into a ~$5.5 million deal and watch him outproduce his salary).
But he liked electronic music.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Its true. Brass never really lived up to expectations. At least my expectations. I was never a huge Zib fan but in hindsight, for me anyway, we would have been better to hang on to Zib. I never completely understood the trade because I did not think that the money Zib would want would be exorbitant . As it turns out he is at a very reasonable price tag. Zib at 5.35 and Turris at 6 (if that could have been a thing here) doesn't look so bad now.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
No, not really.

We got Pittsburgh's 2019 3rd in the deal, but we also gave up our 3rd in 2018 in a classic Dorion pick downgrade. Also we gave up our 2nd in 2018 in the original Brassard trade.

The two trades actually work out to:

Zibanejad, Berggren, Annunen for Gustavsson, JBD, Tychonick, Loheit, 3rd, 3rd

Absolutely awful return for a young #1 center.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Here’s a question. Mostly in here you always see fans talking up their prospect pools. So what are the teams with some of the worst prospect pools in the NHL?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Here’s a question. Mostly in here you always see fans talking up their prospect pools. So what are the teams with some of the worst prospect pools in the NHL?

Sharks and Pens jump out immediately as teams who have been "going for it" for a few years and don't have much left to show for it. Outside of their to-three guys Columbus has surprisingly little in the pipeline. Same as Nashville who don't have a heck of a lot behind Tolvanen/Fabbro. The Devils certainly don't have any "names" outside of Ty Smith.

Those seem like the obvious ones that jump out. Some might consider Washington too, but I like their depth and they typically have a pretty good development system, so we'll surely see some of those guys in the NHL.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
What upset me about him though his showing up out of shape every year.

The year we traded him is the first year he stayed in Ottawa to train with the organization over the summer. I remember being really hyped because I figured the break out would be coming, it's too bad it was for another team though.

A lot of people point to the trade as the wake up call he needed, but I truly think he had already got the wake up call (maybe in exit interviews with Murray) and he would have flourished regardless.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Matthews re-signing in TOR 5 years w/ 11.5 aav. Imagine how cool it must feel to be able to retain your own players.

Reactions: topshelf15

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
They are overpaying though. He will become a UFA at the end of the deal.

That's the market. Cap is 83 million next year.

They can't afford 8 years for Matthews+Marner with Tavares and Nylander (or whatever D they eventually trade Nylander for).

They are in win now mode, so it makes sense for them to get a discount now at the expense of paying extra on the next extension.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
5 years is a long time,who knows where the Leafs will be by then....Maybe they will be looking to reshuffle things around

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I thought his taste in music was terrible. And his one single his released was really really bad :laugh:

What upset me about him though his showing up out of shape every year.

Agreed with all of this lol

I like electronic music a lot, I actually worked in music journalism and have been to hundreds of electronic shows but MIKA really made me cringe... reminded me of those overproduced tracks that rich suburban kid drop with mommy and daddy's money

Great player though and probably a pretty good dude too, glad to see him put it together. Wish it could have happened here.... but Gustavsson, JBD and Tychonick is a pretty good eventual haul

54 million in signing bonuses is nuts

Imagine if we were willing to put that up for Duchene and Stone... they would have been signed in August

And Marner is gonna get just as much, give or take a few hundred thousand a year

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
But I thought Arizona was going to drop a massive hometown offer sheet on Matthews

This doesn't invalidate that having been a possibility.

Matthews hit a home run. He got within a million of McDavid while only giving up 1 UFA year. Granted, the cap has risen since McDavid has signed, but it's still an impressive contract for Matthews.

It would not be at all surprising to find out the offer sheet thing had legs and created some urgency to compromise and get a shorter deal done before Matthews because a free agent on July 1st.

Reactions: Silencio
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad