BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The Leafs are undoubtedly going to be in a cap crunch

Nylander at 7
Tavares at 11
Matthews ~11
Marner ~9

They have about half their caphit on 4 forwards. Rielly is locked into a good deal at 5 million.

Unbelievable duos on their top 2 lines.

They have all their draft picks, aside from this years 6th, in the next 3 drafts to go along with an extra 4th and 3 extra 7ths. They can make some moves at the deadline this year to get the biggest D on the market.

They can't trade guys like Liljgren or Sandin, as they will need their ELC's on the team to counteract those contracts.

They are going to need to ship out Zaitsev/Gardiner for sure, I'd see if Gardiner could be had for a penny on the dollar. He'd fit in nicely on the 2nd pair.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Nylander at 7
Tavares at 11
Matthews ~11
Marner ~9

They have about half their caphit on 4 forwards. Rielly is locked into a good deal at 5 million.

They have all their draft picks, aside from this years 6th, in the next 3 drafts to go along with an extra 4th and 3 extra 7ths. They can make some moves at the deadline this year to get the biggest D on the market.

They can't trade guys like Liljgren or Sandin, as they will need their ELC's on the team to counteract those contracts.

They are going to need to ship out Zaitsev/Gardiner for sure, I'd see if Gardiner could be had for a penny on the dollar. He'd fit in nicely on the 2nd pair.

They should go all in this deadline, even if that means something over the top like getting Karlsson from San Jose if San Jose is out of it. (They'd have to compensate San Jose for the "Hoffman Clause"). The cup is very hard to win, and they are not only hot this year, but they'll have the accrued cap space at the deadline to make a big rental addition.

Your estimates might be low depending on the term. I think they could get both Matthews and Marner at the numbers you have above, but they'd have to be on shorter term deals. If they want to go 8 years with each of them, they aren't getting Marner for less than 10. Matthews is going to hit it out of the park I think. If they get Matthews for anything less than McDavid's cap hit on 8 years, I'll be shocked. McDavid is better than Matthews, but McDavid had that story (whether manufactured or not) where he left around 1M on the table after agreeing to his contract. He also signed the year before the cap started making big leaps again.

What I think will happen is they'll get Matthews on 8 years at astronomical money, and then they'll have to make consolations with Marner where it's a 4 or 5 year deal instead of 8. That, or they sign both to 8 year deals, and trade Nylander to a budget team like Carolina after his massive bonus is paid, and they end up actually "winning" the Nylander situation by having retained him for 1 more year, and then having gotten a greater return for him in July than they would have now since they'd be picking up so much of his salary via his signing bonus.

I'd love to see Arizona go and mess their team up by signing Matthews to an offer sheet, but when Toronto already has Tavares, Nylander, and Marner, as good as Matthews is, that type of play might end up being a Herschal Walker type situation where those picks could end up being four consistent top 5-10 picks that provide Toronto with a bunch of top end ELC/RFA talent to insulate their core.

(Obviously, I am discussing the prospect of an offer sheet knowing how big of a long shot that kind of thing is....Talk about the Leafs trading for Karlsson and an Arizona Auston Matthews offer sheet in the same post....this will end well)

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
They should go all in this deadline, even if that means something over the top like getting Karlsson from San Jose if San Jose is out of it. (They'd have to compensate San Jose for the "Hoffman Clause"). The cup is very hard to win, and they are not only hot this year, but they'll have the accrued cap space at the deadline to make a big rental addition.

I'd honestly love for the Leafs to go all-in this deadline, because I honestly don't think they have the experience to go more than a round in playoff-level hockey...

Reactions: Beville

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Karlsson has looked pretty good this game, almost every where in the MTL end.

Helps that the Habs are playing like crap. Kind of hard to believe they're being shut out by Jones of all goalies playing on a back to back. I was listening to their pre-game show on the radio today and they were very confident that they could get 4 points out of us this week. Gonna be a rude awakening I think when they realize we might be bad, but we're still on par with the Habs.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Kind of hard to believe they're being shut out by Jones of all goalies playing on a back to back.

Jones for the most part has been a scapgoat for the Sharks poor defensive play. They constantly get burnt in the NZ when they try and stand up the opposition. The result is an abundance of odd man rushes and poor numbers for the goaltender.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
What's with all the empty seats in Montreal tonight? It won't get reported on and it will be recorded as a sellout but there are thousands of empties there. Don't give me this crap about them being sold but people not showing up, this is happening everywhere.

Official attendance for the game was 20,301.

The weird thing is that most teams you can get attendance halfway through the 3rd period. In this game, it didn't post until like 5 mins after the game was over. I tried checking the game sheet with 3 mins left in the game, still no posted attendance.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Official attendance for the game was 20,301.

The weird thing is that most teams you can get attendance halfway through the 3rd period. In this game, it didn't post until like 5 mins after the game was over. I tried checking the game sheet with 3 mins left in the game, still no posted attendance.
Montreal typical

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

Nylander at 7
Tavares at 11
Matthews ~11
Marner ~9

The key for them is gonna be not getting attached to anyone outside of that core. The second they start overpaying role players and unlikely playoff heroes they're screwed. I don't think they're in bad shape though. That's a hell of a core to build around, if they're smart with drafting and take advantage of ELCs they have an insanely bright future (as much as I hate to say it).

I do wonder if they should just go all in now and beef up at the deadline. It's risky and goes completely against what I just said lol. Guess that's why being a GM is so hard.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
In Montreal they have a ton of corporate support. Tons on companies buy tickets and often people don't go.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Preds are missing Turris , Subban, Forsberg, Arvidsson in tonights game vs Buffalo and they are up 2-1 in the third... Crazy to be able to compete missing that kind of quality in your lineup.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
In Montreal they have a ton of corporate support. Tons on companies buy tickets and often people don't go.

But I thought all the corporations in Montreal got fed up with the politics and moved to Toronto in the 70s (or at least that's what my anglo Montrealer dad keeps telling me).

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Can't wait to see who we'll lose in the expansion draft because we have to protect Ryan.

Reactions: Beville
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad