Around the NHL XXXV - Pre Season Hype #CAMP

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
Sooo stoked on this season. I honestly feel like there’s going to be a huge rebound. We have some nice pieces. Anything can happen.

I'm what you would call cautiously optimistic. For the past decade+ anytime one of those "experts" write us off we seem to make the playoffs lol. Even if we do shit the bed, we'll still have prospects like Brown, Tkachuk, Batherson, Wolanin, Chlapik, Jaros and White to keep track of. Seems to be alot of gloom and doom regarding our management/ownership but Dorion has quietly built a great prospect pool

Reactions: Ice-Tray

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
isles-thirds.PNG

Isles 3rd jerseys leaked, yucky.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Also, there's something about having a team at the bottom looking to swing upwards. You can go into each game hoping for a win and each games a battle for points. If you make the playoffs its been an awesome ride. That kind of team can be fun to watch every night because you don't know what can happen.

I remember when our team was awesome where wins were expected every night and things could be gloomy after a loss. Expectations and excitement only really kicked in when the playoffs started.

That's a long season of expected success before really getting the fan experience of hope and excitement in the playoffs.

Not saying one is better than the other per se, rather, we have a lot of exciting pieces on the team this year, and each game should be exciting to watch in some way as we battle tooth and nail each night for wins.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm what you would call cautiously optimistic. For the past decade+ anytime one of those "experts" write us off we seem to make the playoffs lol. Even if we do **** the bed, we'll still have prospects like Brown, Tkachuk, Batherson, Wolanin, Chlapik, Jaros and White to keep track of. Seems to be alot of gloom and doom regarding our management/ownership but Dorion has quietly built a great prospect pool
It's hard to be optimistic about this upcoming season though. The prospect pool is good in terms of shear volume but there isn't really the quality that we'll need to become competitive again. Aside from Brown, Gustavsson and Batherson there isn't
really anyone to really get excited about.

This season is really really bleak though. It's unlikely any of the big prospects will likely be able to help the team in any meaningful way, Boucher is still here and the team is downgraded from last year. Then you consider the strength of our division. The top 3 teams are all in a legitimate conversation for top 5 in the NHL. Then consider our schedule against those teams and the rest of the league where we have the most back to backs with some brutal opponents.

Very tough to imagine this team finishing anywhere near a playoff spot. There's some light with the prospects and young players but until Boucher is gone and the star players are committed to, there's little reason to have faith or optimism. Its like having faith in the Catholic church in 2018. There's absolutely no rhyme or reason to it, you're just entrenched at this point.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You know .. I completely forgot about the ownership as a possible highlight. Thanks for reminding me. Is it a challenge to turn every topic into "change of ownership" or is that just a personal mission?
Which would be a bigger highlight, rookie tournament or getting rid Eugene?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It's hard to be optimistic about this upcoming season though. The prospect pool is good in terms of shear volume but there isn't really the quality that we'll need to become competitive again. Aside from Brown, Gustavsson and Batherson there isn't
really anyone to really get excited about.

This season is really really bleak though. It's unlikely any of the big prospects will likely be able to help the team in any meaningful way, Boucher is still here and the team is downgraded from last year. Then you consider the strength of our division. The top 3 teams are all in a legitimate conversation for top 5 in the NHL. Then consider our schedule against those teams and the rest of the league where we have the most back to backs with some brutal opponents.

Very tough to imagine this team finishing anywhere near a playoff spot. There's some light with the prospects and young players but until Boucher is gone and the star players are committed to, there's little reason to have faith or optimism. Its like having faith in the Catholic church in 2018. There's absolutely no rhyme or reason to it, you're just entrenched at this point.

I think some of our other prospects project to be real fan favourite heart and soul guys. I think they are exciting as well, and at the same time develop and look different when rookies than the flashier guys do.

While it is nice to watch the Havlat type players wow you, some of the guys like Hossa, Alfie, Chara, Redden, Phillips, Fisher, etc... some of our cherished players, didn't start flashy but were such treats to watch because of how hard they worked, and of course that hard work turned into production to varying degrees.

White is not flashy, neither is Brady, but they might just wow us with determined presence on the ice. Big hits, winning board battles, these also make us happy. Driving the net to score, willing the puck into the net, these things will also drive us to cheer. And that is not to, mention a level of skills plenty high enough to do damage.

It's nothing like church FQL, there are several very exciting prospects to watch, that's just fact, and Boucher has been given a new coaching directive and so there is some excitement there as well. You can't expect GB to play a bunch of rookies big minutes when the team expectation is to make the playoffs, and yet when the tides changed last year we saw a lot more development ice time for our top kids, and low and behold the team started to be fun to watch again, even as the losses mounted.

I'd liken your church analogy more to those who see nothing but gloom. I mean a change in play style by GB last year has been largely ignored in favour of "GB hates rookies and doesn't play kids", and ignoring our top flight rookies that look to be making the team because they don't have enough flash in junior, this while ignoring the fact that Chabot, White, BT, Batehrson, and Formenton have all be touted as top prospects, and a guy like Jaros has huge fan appreciation potential.

It seems like the fear is that if you let some excitement creep in then you're betraying the ideals that the team perpetually sucks from head to toe, forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->