Around the NHL XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
My point still stands
One would think that he might have seen Ottawa as a playoff contender in the summer after going to game 7 ECF, no? Because that's when I said they should have signed him...

Nobody blames him for leaving for greener pastures after Karlsson was traded and we finished at the bottom of the standings two years running, what's being questioned was our lack of effort in locking him up before things went off the rails.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
One would think that he might have seen Ottawa as a playoff contender in the summer after going to game 7 ECF, no? Because that's when I said they should have signed him...

Nobody blames him for leaving for greener pastures after Karlsson was traded and we finished at the bottom of the standings two years running, what's being questioned was our lack of effort in locking him up before things went off the rails.
I would never blame Stone for leaving this organization, ever.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
We could have re-signed him right after the ECF run, but instead decided to let it ride until he hit RFA, extended him 1 year to avoid arbitration, and traded him at the deadline.

Not sure why [other than the elephant in the room reasons] we wouldn't lock up Stone the second it was possible, at least we appear to have learned our lesson and locked up Chabot.
Takes two to tango. Stone was coming off a relatively poor playoffs and still had a year on his deal so he bet on himself.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I’m confused by reading some posts. Like if all this was really Dorion’s choice, like it was all “hockey decisions”; I mean why would he want to get rid of his best players that could have given him a chance to win NOW? My goal really wouldn’t be to defend Dorion because I’m not a fan and don’t think he was ready for this opportunity, but unfortunately the board narrative somewhat forces me to. I think people forget too quickly that the sens owner is Eugene Melnyk... This team is a relatively smaller market than others and from all appearances, Melnyk doesn’t seem to have the cash flow necessary to compete in the more and more expensive NHL with a forever rising salary cap (he’s also a total PR disaster and a shady character but that’s another subject)

This was not a rebuild because “we sucked, had an aging core and had no future”. Look at the age of the players that got sold for futures (picks/prospects almost entirely and when they acquired players; Brassard and Boedker; they had a lower salary than their cap hit instead of going for better expensive ones) : Karlsson, Zibanejad, Duchene, Stone, Dzingel, Hoffman. All in their prime; that’s enough talent to build a solid team around them; particularly when you have good prospects like Chabot, White, Brown, Batherson, Formenton,Wolanin, etc.

I believe Stone wanted to be part of what could have been a great team but the boat sank with Melnyk’s finances and he was the last casualty. Zibanejad was the first red flag but at the time, it was hard to know it would go this far. When EK was traded, it was the beginning of the end; how could Dorion convince the other core players in their prime to extend long term? The team was getting dismantled for no reason outside of financial reasons. If they wanted to keep all of them (even Zibanejad included); that would have been just too costly for Melnyk. Think spending to the cap, and eating money to get rid of Phaneuf and maybe Ryan contracts, etc. Things the rich markets do because they have to and want to give themselves the best chance possible.

What could have been? Stone could have still sign a “friendly deal”, use patience and embrace his leadership role and bring the next bunch of kids to the promise land but why wait when you could go contend right away for the money you deserve? He didn’t have to, simple as that

Last edited:

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
So with all these Canadian team not hitting expectations in terms of crowds/ sellouts etc. (Ottawa is it's own thing), I wonder if we're finally seeing the rising cap take it's toll on the fanbase? With inflated salaries comes higher ticket prices. More and more, your every day family can't afford to go. I wonder if that's what we're seeing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So with all these Canadian team not hitting expectations in terms of crowds/ sellouts etc. (Ottawa is it's own thing), I wonder if we're finally seeing the rising cap take it's toll on the fanbase? With inflated salaries comes higher ticket prices. More and more, your every day family can't afford to go. I wonder if that's what we're seeing.
I think the cap going up is more about tv contracts than rising ticket prices. Id be curious to see the cost of tickets over the years adjusted for inflation.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

The main thread on that topic is really funny. Apparently anything and everything is a-ok as an excuse for the other cities, but not Ottawa.

Reactions: BloodRedArmy

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
My suspicion is he wanted to stay here, and then over his last season and a half as a Sen, management changed his mind through their actions.
He signed for a one year deal which walks him to free agency

I’m sorry but that is a dead giveaway and should have been traded that summer

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The usual show up in there trying to talk about Ottawa and Melnyk, and no one truly cares. it is sad, but funny. It is too pricey, too many games, and people pay an awful lot for players instructed to dump the puck in and chase it. What Sonny Milano did the other night is what people want to see. More than twice a year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Was Gibbons not as good as Ennis? He's definitely better than Sabourin (at hockey). How far is Connor Brown ahead of Gibbons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->