Around the NHL XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I knew Crawford was going to be the next pin to be dropped as soon the Bill Peters stuff started, don't know who is next but the snowball is only gonna get bigger and its about ****ing time.

Torts is going to be next.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
We all know coaches are going to yell sometimes, just like parents have to shout sometimes. But if you yell all the time, and do nothing but yell in a mean way, it can only really have two long-term effects: either you break their confidence or they start to tune you out. In the end it reveals that you have nothing constructive to say if your only tool of power is abusing your dominant position.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I can agree with this. That extension was not ideal. Not the end of the world either.

The big freakout around here was around Dahlen though, not the extension. We had multiple 1000+ threads about that trade, and every single GDT was derailed by Dahlen talk. I kind you not, more ink was spilled over losing Dahlen than losing Karlsson. Now that Dahlen is not panning out, everyone is acting like it was no big deal. It's pathetic and cowardly. Typical online community echo-chamber behavior.

It was a bad trade then, still a bad trade now. What's pathetic is constantly making shit up out of thin air.

Reactions: BatherSeason

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Idk, people never suggested Dahlen wasn't expendable

No. Big no.

To quote Clemons...you must be misremembering

At one point this board had Dahlen as a mid 1st level pick. Chaplik was a 2nd rounder that the team had to have a fireside chat with about what its going to take to progress in hockey because he was dogging it. Chaplik quietly worked his way in to the NHL and at this point Dahlen has somewhat loudly busted.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
There is likely some Ottawa / Crawford stories that are going to come out unfortunately.

I heard about one a couple of years ago, from a very reliable source.

When I heard this on the radio this morning I had just assumed Ottawa was the organization this stuff took place with. Truthfully I wondered about a Zack Smith / Crawford connection since they are both in Chicago.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Torts is all show. He's the typical small dog with a big bark. Dude is a softie...he can't even watch that Sara McLachlan SPCA commercial without crying.

All the wild stuff he has done is already out in the open.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Torts is all show. He's the typical small dog with a big bark. Dude is a softie...he can't even watch that Sara McLachlan SPCA commercial without crying.

All the wild stuff he has done is already out in the open.

Yeah I remember seeing a video of the Canucks locker room where Torts was yelling and screaming at his players like a madman, except everything he was yelling was all positive and motivational. I think his heart is generally in the right place.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I wonder how many players are going bring stuff forward just because they hated their coach?

Where do we draw the line? Is a smack up side the helmet to wake up too much?
How about Torts yelling at Gaborik asking him if he feels like scoring today?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I wonder how many players are going bring stuff forward just because they hated their coach?

Where do we draw the line? Is a smack up side the helmet to wake up too much?
How about Torts yelling at Gaborik asking him if he feels like scoring today?
If your boss came to you today and smacked you across the head, you and everyone else would run to HR with a complaint, so, yes, a smack up side the helmet is too much.

Reactions: Rand0m

Billy Bridges

Sep 20, 2011
Hockey is hockey. Why is no one reporting the teachers that are aren't giving every kid an A in their class? This is traumatizing to parents.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
If your boss came to you today and smacked you across the head, you and everyone else would run to HR with a complaint, so, yes, a smack up side the helmet is too much.
To me this is the interesting question --- should a professional sports dressing room be held to the exact same standard as other work environments?

The knee jerk response would be "yes, of course". But with just a little thought we can come up with examples of things that we think of as okay in a hockey dressing room but never tolerated in a white collar office.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
To me this is the interesting question --- should a professional sports dressing room be held to the exact same standard as other work environments?

The knee jerk response would be "yes, of course". But with just a little thought we can come up with examples of things that we think of as okay in a hockey dressing room but never tolerated in a white collar office.
Sure these things can be different for sure, just remove the mental and physical abuse.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

Professional sports is not the same as an office. I dont wear a helmet to work.
My office doesnt control my diet and ban me from racing motorcycles.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Hockey is hockey. Why is no one reporting the teachers that are aren't giving every kid an A in their class? This is traumatizing to parents.
If a teacher smacked your kid you would report them to the police and expect them to lose their job BUT, if that same teacher also coached the hockey team and physically and mentally abused your kid on the bench, you would be ok with it? Cmon man.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Professional sports is not the same as an office. I dont wear a helmet to work.
My office doesnt control my diet and ban me from racing motorcycles.
So, you are saying that a coach has every right to smack a player upside the head just because the player is wearing a helmet? Seriously folks, listen to yourselves. These responses alone are direct proof that hockey culture needs to change.

Reactions: Rand0m

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I'd say anything physical...hitting, kicking, etc...shouldn't be tolerated anywhere.

But language is a bit different. The language in the corporate boardroom is going to be mighty different than in the locker room. And a lot of that is psychology...a coach is trying to get the blood flowing and get guys motivated and up for the game, or get them focused after a bad period. That said, if you see a coach singling out a player and really piling on the personal attacks...that crosses a line. Sports is sports...guys can screw up, or have a bad night, or simply be bested by a better opponent. Making a point to go after a player and yelling at a guy until the coaches throat is raw just to "send a message"...it crosses a fuzzy line. Guys know when they've screwed up. Piling on doesn't help anyone.

Reactions: BatherSeason

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Lmao do you realize how stupid you sound or is it lost on you?

Teachers get reported for calling kids the N-word. Teachers get reported for hitting & kicking kids. Teachers get reported for berating kids, calling them names, and manipulating them to look bad. Maybe your teachers got away with that stuff, which is why you're now a super well adjusted individual.

What a massive dweeb comment... I'm sure in real life you're very, very unshakeable.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
So, you are saying that a coach has every right to smack a player upside the head just because the player is wearing a helmet? Seriously folks, listen to yourselves. These responses alone are direct proof that hockey culture needs to change.
I think this is going to go the same way it doesnt every time something like this happens.

They major incidents come out. They are dealt with poorly.
The not so major ones are dealt with.
The minor ones come out and are overly dealt with and then backlash happens.

Thats how you end you end up with James Gunn getting fired over a 10 year old joke only to be rehired. That is how Kevin Hart loses out on hosting the emmy's.

This is how society deals with this stuff.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Sure these things can be different for sure, just remove the mental and physical abuse.

This entire conversation has reminded me of one of my favorite movie scenes:

Pretty sure if at work I ordered my entire team into the shower and berated them I'd be in trouble!

I've never played competitive sports, but I've always imagined many of the hard nosed coaches' tirades are just more serious versions of this. And also that something like this happens at least once a year on every team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We all know coaches are going to yell sometimes, just like parents have to shout sometimes. But if you yell all the time, and do nothing but yell in a mean way, it can only really have two long-term effects: either you break their confidence or they start to tune you out. In the end it reveals that you have nothing constructive to say if your only tool of power is abusing your dominant position.

Yelling is one thing. Berating is another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad