Around the NHL XXXIV | Playoff Spectators Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Didn’t Montreal fans just criticize Galchenyuk all the time anyway?
Sure. I don't know what that has to do with Galchenyuk's value vs Domi's though. I just think Gally is a much better player going forward imo. I also see him being capable of playing C whereas Domi's pretty much locked into being a winger going forward.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Sure. I don't know what that has to do with Galchenyuk's value vs Domi's though. I just think Gally is a much better player going forward imo. I also see him being capable of playing C whereas Domi's pretty much locked into being a winger going forward.

I just figured maybe Montreal fans weren’t too bothered about it since they didn’t seem to like Galchenyuk. Then again, maybe they thought they would get more for him. I dunno, I doubt Bergevin is ever going to make a trade they like anyway haha.

Reactions: aragorn

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Montreal fans weren't really criticizing Galchy, they were mostly criticizing how the team was misusing him, and now he's going where he'll be used appropriately with the right linemates.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I just figured maybe Montreal fans weren’t too bothered about it since they didn’t seem to like Galchenyuk. Then again, maybe they thought they would get more for him. I dunno, I doubt Bergevin is ever going to make a trade they like anyway haha.
There were some Habs fans that didn’t like him, but also a unrelenting portion of the fan base that felt he was misused and that he never got a fair chance as a centre. I can see why the Montreal coaches and management didn’t see him as a centre, though. He doesn’t skate that well, doesn’t play a very good two way game, and doesn’t necessarily strike me as someone who makes his linemates better (good vision and puck handling, but his strength is his shot).
It’ll be interesting to see if Arizona gives him a chance at centre, and if Montreal gives Domi a chance at centre. He has played it a times.

megalomania

Sep 29, 2010
Switzerland
That Galchenyuk-Domi trade is so funny to me. It's been obvious for years that the Habs have present and future issues in the puck-moving-defense and in the top-6-center department. So Bergevin goes out in back to back summers and trades the team's only d prospect with top pairing puck mover upside for an undersized (albeit talented) winger and his only young forward who has at least been reasonably good when used as a center for another undersized winger. Even ignoring the question of whether Galchenyuk/Sergachev or Drouin/Domi is the better duo, his misjudgment of team needs is hilarious. That franchise is still in a better spot than the Sens, but it baffles me how Bergevin still hasn't been fired.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Didn’t Montreal fans just criticize Galchenyuk all the time anyway?

That's because they have crazy expectations. Think Sens fans x 2 or 3

Galchenyuk is a 50-60 pts scorer (if he plays with good players), not the Mark Scheifele they are expecting because he was 3rd OA. That draft year sucked badly.

Galchenyuk is bad defensively. He makes Hoffman look like a Selke candidate. But if you use Galchenyuk correctly with the right linemates, you can exploit his offensive talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Habs re-sign Domi for 2YRs at 3.15M

This is why the trade makes sense for the Habs. Domi expires as an RFA at the end of the deal, whereas Galchenyuk will be a UFA at the same time.

They may have traded 2 years of Galchenyuk for 5+ years of Domi. That's a win in my book.

Reactions: DrEasy and Benjamin

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

This is why the trade makes sense for the Habs. Domi expires as an RFA at the end of the deal, whereas Galchenyuk will be a UFA at the same time.

They may have traded 2 years of Galchenyuk for 5+ years of Domi. That's a win in my book.

Even if Galchenyuk way outproduces Domi?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Even if Galchenyuk way outproduces Domi?

Depends on how much.

If Galchenyuk finally breaks out and becomes the 60-80P guy he had the potential to become when he was drafted, it's definitely not a win for Montreal. But I think it's more likely that he continues to produce in the 50-60P range.

Give me 5+ years of a 40-50P guy over 2 years of a 50-60P guy.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Crazy, right? Worst team in hockey is expected to sell off their best player and best goal scorer. That's how to improve immediately, right?

But isn't that team similar to the team that was 1 goal away to reach the SCF, losing in Game 7 double OT against the eventual champs?

They're gonna add a 4th OA pick and a 22nd OA pick to an already very good prospect pool. Many of those prospects are very close to have an impact in the NHL (Thomas Chabot (just graduated), Colin White, Logan Brown, Filip Chlapik, Drake Batherson, Alex Formenton, Christian Wolanin, Christian Jaros, maybe even Filip Gustavsson...)

I think Karlsson signs long-term with the team at a manageable cap hit (~10 M$ per year) but they are forced to trade Hoffman. We'll have to wait and see what the return will be for him.

Ok but Galchenyuk is only 1 year older than Domi... You're assuming that the Yotes only plan to have Galchenyuk for 2 years and then let him walk for nothing as a UFA... But we have no idea right now how that will turn out

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Give me 5+ years of a 40-50P guy over 2 years of a 50-60P guy.

I agree with you in a vacuum, but this is the Habs we're talking about here, who have shoehorned themselves to be in a very precarious position where their best defenceman is just leaving his prime, and the team is right on the edge of either going all in and trying to make noise with the Weber/Price core, or tear it down and rebuild.

The could have traded Gally for flat-out futures, or for immediate help, but they got neither. They traded a good player for a slightly worse player, and the team isn't good, and Galchenyuk was probably their only good trade chip, so now you're stuck with a flat-out worse team, but you get to keep the worse player longer on that bad team?

I mean... Hey, who are we to argue, considering the tire fire our org is these days, but to me it feels like the Habs took their one great trade chip that they could have used to finally pick a direction, and instead they flipped it for a more cost-controlled player that won't help them get better now, and won't help them get better in the future. It feels like a trade you make that just ends up spinning your tires in the mud and doesn't actually get you anywhere.

Like... It's not as bad as some people will say it is, I agree with you there. It just doesn't make any sense in the larger picture.

Reactions: BigRig4

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

If Domi lasts that long. People severely underestimate the challenges of being a high level athlete playing 100 games per year with that specific type of diabetes.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
Hire trotz, right now, go do it.
Is it just me, or does it seem like really good coaches always hit the open market in the years where we decide to not fire our head coach?

We've gone through six coaches since Murray, and the only time I really feel we missed an open shot at a really good coach was with Boudreau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->